Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know that every individual's recovery is different and certain situations wether it be complications or healing times differ, but on average, how many days or weeks would someone have to be out of work? I am a nurse and I'm on my feet for almost my whole 8 hour shift , I also lift and have to be slightly active. Obviously way different than say a office desk job. Does anyone know anything about this? I'm getting nervous because I don't get medical leave or vacation time for another 6 months (surgery is in 4 months) so I'd have to figure out how to take the least amount of time off work possible.. Is that even possible??

My surgeon would have released me after 2 wks. I know some people go back after 1. I felt ok after 1 wk, just had difficulty getting fluids and Protein in. LIfting is restricted for me til 6 wks.

I was out of work for 2 weeks, and I have a mostly sedentary desk type job. I would have needed 3-4 weeks to go back to a job where I was on my feet all day. I was not released for lifting anything over 8 lbs until four weeks after surgery.

I am a Respiratory Therapist working 3 nights a week and I was sleeved one month ago. I had my surgery on Monday 9/14 and took two full weeks off, then scheduled myself for Thurs-Fri-Sat of the third week in the NICU, so I wasn't going to lift much...It worked out well, but if you get busy drinking will be a problem, it still is for me... Also, I went to Catherines and bought two of the Spanx type cami's. I wore one from the night of surgery all through recovery... IT HELPED SO MUCH!!!! It provided support for my surgery sites and makes it easier to move around, not to mention it is flattering. Good Luck!!!

Edited by longjohs

I'm am x ray tech at a trauma center and I haven't been sleeved yet but my surgeon told me 6 weeks because of the lifting I have to do. And as far as how to take time you can take time under FMLA if you are a full time employee. Also depending on how long you're off there is short time disability. Be careful going back too early. You don't want to get hurt or end up sick. Also if you get busy drinking and staying hydrated is super important. It may also be difficult to have the energy required to work shifts if you're in the early stages as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I have a desk job and I'm only planning to take a little over a week off. But my doctor did also tell me that I can't lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk for 6 weeks.