Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

TMI Topic - Digestion Issues one month post surgery

I actually felt surprisingly well immediately after the surgery and had very little stomach cramping, no nausea, and minimal pain. I was stunned by how much pain I was in during my first TOM post-surgery. The cramping was severe and persisted for the entire week rather than just the first day. Anything I ate caused me to feel ill. For two days I could only consume Clear liquids, and even that was problematic. I ended up getting Pediolyte for fear that I was being dehydrated from all the diarrhea. I cannot drink plain Water. The only drinks my stomach has tolerated well is Gatorade and fresh squeezed orange juice, both of which are caloric so I don't want to have them daily. I had to take time off of work because the cramps were so incapacitating, and the inability to keep down food and liquids had made me really dizzy and weak.

I had thought that once my period ended, I'd feel fine again. That hasn't been the case, though I thankfully do feel better. It's been a week since it ended and though I no longer have the intense stomach cramps I still am having digestive issues. Every time I eat or drink anything about half an hour later I have an urgent need for a BM. I then have several more throughout the day, and wake up about 4 times a night for it. I'd thought that perhaps I had transitioned into soft foods too quickly, so I went back to the full liquid diet of Soups and Protein Shakes. That worsened the problem, which surprised me because I'd tolerated them fine a few weeks ago. I then started to eat more soft solids again, hoping that could help. It did help some, but not enough. I'd been great about getting in plenty of Protein and liquids the first few weeks, and am now not getting in nearly enough. I am trying to limit dairy to see if maybe that's a contributing factor, but even when I haven't consumed any the problem has persisted. It's definitely interfered with my work and social life. I'm afraid to even go on a walk on the beach for fear that my stomach will seize up. I was like a hermit all weekend long, even though it was so beautiful out and there were exciting things going on.

As far as weight loss goes, I've lost 22 pounds since surgery (mid-August) and a total of 31 pounds since my highest weight. My BMI is currently 29.5. I'm happy with the progress. I'm just concerned about the stomach issues. I'm also lethargic because I haven't really been able to exercise much and am not able to get in enough calories.

Did anyone else experience anything like this?

Hello:

This is going on too long for you not to call your doctor. Perhaps you have an infection in your stomach? You really should call your doctor.

Please let us know how you're doing.

Sue

Protein shakes and liquids or mushy baby food and all I had was the runs but once I transitioned to food w more Fiber it's not nearly as bad.

I have my refried Beans with cheese at least once a day. I switched to a raw Protein shake full of Fiber too.

I think a lot of it is hormonal for me too as I have PCOS. But the liquid diet had me in the bathroom constantly.