Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No restriction after first fill

(I am cross posting this message) help.gif My first fill was June 28th. I felt the restriction that moment when I was swallowing Water and maybe up to a few hours later. But by the next day I was eating like I normally do. I have never had to chew my food real well. I have never had a problem eating too fast. As I stated in a previous post I had 1/2 of a t-bone steak, a cob of corn and 1/2 a baked potato in one sitting.

We went to Red Robin where my favorite salad is and I was able to eat 1/2 of it! The salads are huge. It is just taking a long time to get me full. Trust me I am not eating until I am stuffed, just satisfied and I'm not happy about the quantity that it takes to get me to that point.

So hopefully they will give me fill on Wednesday morning that is when it is scheduled.

I am going on vacation right after the fill and I do not want to gain weight while gone, I want to eat small amounts and be lady like!

Has anyone had this experience?

Honestly, I think most people have this experience. It takes most folks a few fills before they feel anything. It's not 100% of the people, but for many.

You are not the only one Virginia. After my first fill I had restriction for about a week then I felt just like before. I was able to eat without restriction. It might take two or three fills before you are able to feel that restriction. I just got my second fill about a week ago and I am feeling a little restricted. I have to chew my food really well when before I was not doing that. Good luck on your next fill!

Virginiann-

I was banded on May 9th and had my first fill on June 18th. I thought there was something wrong, because like you, I felt restriction for the first day or two and then nothing. I went back to eating "normal"...never had any problems with eating too fast and not chewing well enough. Plus I hear of all these people that have gotten nauseous and throw up. Not one time for me.

I'm able to eat about the same amount as you (the steak and potatoes), and I am not satisfied with that. I am still losing little by little, but from the amount of what I am supposed to be able to eat to what I actually am eating is a big difference.

I called to schedule another fill for July 21st and we'll see if that helps out any. Good luck to you, and you're not alone. ;)

Dawn, so there is a full month between your fills. I am wondering if anyone had a fill this soon after a fill? Mine will only be two weeks. I know it is crazy but I'm going on vacation and I want restriction when I go. I don't want to be able to let down my hair and eat what I want. Does that make sense?

I am to be banded on 7/20. It seems to me that after you get a fill that you have to go on liquid diet again for a short time? Has this been the case for most? Or does this kick in after you have more Fluid in the band and not on the first couple of fills. Thanks for your replies.

:help:

You and I are in the same situation... I am able to eat ALOT and often (not that I always do though...). For example...two days ago I had about a 1/2 cup of potato salad, 1/4 cup of macaroni salad, about 5 small meatballs and bread... no problem with anything... and I cant really say that I took small bites or chewed the heck out of everything....

I've never had the "golf ball", no PB or slime.... I was starting to think that I was the only one that is going thru this!!!

I'm going for my 2nd fill on friday... hopefully this will all change.

sounds like you haven't gotten to your tight spot. it took me 3 fills. when i got to 1.5 in my 4 cc band it was a night and day difference from 1.25. i came home and tried to eat and i could feel the food hit my band and stop! it may take time and money to get it right but once it is you will know it and feel restricted! good luck, h

I was told liquids the day of the fill, then the next day it was okay to add puree. The third day mushy... start slow. But on my second day I had some small curd cottage cheese and all was well. So the third day I ate normal and it's been that way ever since.

I sure as heck didn't go through this surgery so that I could eat 12-1300 calories a day and still be hungry. My hope was that I could eat that little and NOT be hungry all the time.

My will power is great, I can avoid all the bad foods, sugar, breads, etc... but I can not fight the hunger beast. I am powerless, therefore, in should step my weapon the BAND..

I'm feeling like a failure and I'm wondering if this is just another 'diet' that I have failed at. :-(

Dear Virginiann

I wish I was in ONEDERLAND like you are. You may be eating but it still looks like you're losing! Yes?

I have lost real well, but it has stopped since my first fill. Very strange. I would post what the doc says tomorrow but I am going on vacation right after the fill. I won't be near a computer until Sunday night. But I will let everyone know what went on.

My insurance is paying for the fills as it did with the surgery. I was and am very blessed. I only have to pay my co-pay.