Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sample meal at home or going out post-op?

Would any of you please give me an idea of what a normal sample meal for you is several months after your Bypass? Maybe one sample of eating something at home and if you went out to a restaurant?

Thank you much for your feedback on this :D I would just love an idea of what I might be able to enjoy later on after my surgery and I am on normal food then.

Thanks again,

Karl

I am only 11 wks out...but have gone out to eat a few times due to traveling and again today because of a new job. We went to Chinese. I looked up the menu beforehand and decided on the hibachi shrimp. It was lunch so it came with Soup, rice, egg roll and crab Rangoon for $5!!! Being with new co-workers I just ordered as is instead of saying hold everything but the shrimp! I ate the shrimp-4-5 med size and a few bites of broccoli, mushroom and onion and a tiny taste of the soup. It was good and no one said anything when my plate was still full at the end. I also ordered a Water even though I couldn't drink it, I have decided it is easier to do so than to say no to drinks. I just move it away and don't touch it. Overall the food was good and I really didn't miss the rest of the stuff on my plate!

Have you ever looked at the blog / website - http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/? She has a lot of great recipes and most of her blog is all about "a day in her pouch" so that will give you a great idea of some meals.

I am only 9 weeks out and have had some issues with meat, so I am not a great example as I am still staying with pureed mostly. For Breakfast I generally have 1/2 container of yogurt mixed with 1/2 scoop of Protein powder, then a shake for mid-morning snack. At lunch, about 1/2 ounce deli turkey and a string cheese and maybe 1 cracker. And dinner similar or pimento cheese with extra Protein Powder (its a Southern thing if you haven't heard of it) and/or hummus. I had tilapia and butternut squash last night but a very tiny tiny amount. Eating out, I have pretty much only ventured into tortilla Soup (without tortilla strips) and I even had some guacamole a couple of times (it was just mashed avocado, onion and lime juice but luckily the raw onion didn't bother me).

The thing is it is different for everyone. Some can tolerate certain things that others can't so it is tough to say what you will or won't be able to eat. Rest assured though you will find your new normal eventually (or so I am told) and will be able to enjoy small amounts of food that you want to eat.

Something you might want to try is to start using myfitnesspal. It is an online site (has a phone app as well) that you can track all of your daily food. You can friend others and view their diaries. I have done this over the past few months to get ideas as to what others are eating. It has helped when I am looking for something new to try. I may not even think of it until I see it on somebody else's diary. It still pretty much do 3 meals and 3 Snacks a day. My Breakfast might be one egg and one breakfast turkey sausage link. My lunch might be a small Wendy's chili. dinner might be a small muffin size mini meatloaf and 1/4 cup green Beans. Snacks are yogurt, nuts, cheese, fruit. My fav is a mixture of yogurt, fruit, nuts and seeds.