Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I can't seem to help myself, folks. I keep looking at local cosmetic surgery offices' online Tummy Tuck galleries. I would make a perfect "before" model. I've always had that nasty under- the- belly "pooch", no matter what size I am. It is a butt in the front! My clothes hide it fine, and if you didn't know it was there, well, you probably wouldn't see it. My mom says, I don't see a gut! (As I lovingly refer to it.) My response is always, "You haven't seen me naked lately!" And bathing suits don't hide it very well--even Miracle Suits.

I dunno. I had a rough year with the matter of a hysterectomy that knocked me on my ass for a couple months. I don't know if I can justify another surgery. I am training at the gym again, and have decided to reassess if I get down to 5 pounds below goal. WLS was necessary, but I feel like a Tummy Tuck is just vanity.

Any thoughts peanut gallery?

Many thanks! ;)

In my opinion it is not vanity. I have that problem as well as very large bat wings. When I jog or walk fast my arms really rub.

My tummy on the other hand actually pulls on my back.

I fully intend to finish my transformation when I get the money to do so. I too have just had a serious spine surgery two weeks ago and want to be fully recovered from that so it will be awhile.

I personally would not call this being vain. You have worked hard and deserve to look and feel your best.

Oh, and if accidentally we have to lift or augment the girls I will do that too! I feel like my whole body just slumped downward and it pulls on your neck, shoulders and back.

If anyone wants to call me vain, I really don't care. It's my body and I worked hard to get healthy, I deserve to look and feel my best.

Good luck with whatever your decision is.

Even if it is vanity, so what? No need to rationalize this decision. If you want plastic surgery, go for it. You don't owe anyone a reason why.

What you are talking about is the Pannus. I have one, too. Some insurances actually cover panni surgery! You should check if yours does. I say go for it!

I guess I should have also explained that I have some sort of weird MS-like neurological illness. (A growing spinal lesion and many brain lesions.) So considering this "elective" surgery feels completely vain in light of the fact it is now going on 3 years and several neurologists with no clear diagnosis. WLS got rid of so many co-morbidities, and I am so thankful for that, but asthma got worse, as did this spinal mess. BUT it might be possible that looking better in a bathing suit and losing some weight in front might also relieve some pressure on my back? I AM SO CONFUSED!

@@Teachamy

What can it hurt to talk with a plastic surgeon about it? Maybe having the TT, with the pulling-down of the abdominal muscles, will actually strengthen your muscles supporting your spine...it may just help you out a little. And getting rid of extra weight in the front DOES help the back! I would just suggest talking with a couple of surgeons about it, so you get differing (or the same) opinion about your particular situation. And while you're there, ask about others who may have similar situations as yours, for their experiences. You deserve the best, you've had a hard enough time of it. But beware, TT's are not painless procedures. And recovery can be lengthy. As yours is a unique situation (aren't we all unique?!), research the surgeons before you see them, get the best you can. And ask EVERYTHING you can possibly think of....start writing down your questions NOW, so you don't forget about them. And the best of luck to you, sweetie, God Bless.....

A Tummy Tuck will definitely set you back a bit on fitness. It's a pretty intensive surgery (getting cut open from hip to hip), the toughest I've gone through. Is it vain? Oh probably. We can't trade our bodies in for a newer model like we do cars so we have to make the best with what we have. Did I feel guilty about spending money on an elective surgery that would make me look better? Hells to the no! My abs look fabulous.

Talk to a lot of people, surgeon's, doctors and consider the price and downtime for healing and that should help you make a decision.

The recovery time probably makes this a no for me. As I mentioned, the hysterectomy quite literally knocked me on my ass. And I stayed that way for 6 weeks--although the fatigue lasted much longer. Ho hum.