Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"I've only lost XX lbs..."

Don't hate me, because I certainly don't hate any of you. But it truly bothers me to see people on here complain about how little weight they've lost. Especially when it actually isn't a little bit of loss. "I've only lost 40 lbs in 2 months since surgery! What am I doing wrong??" Are you crazy? Do you know how amazing it is to lose 40 lbs PERIOD let alone in just 2 months?? Yes, WLS is a tool that is supposed to help weight loss occur a bit more quickly than if you were to do it on your own. But downplaying your losses, regardless of how slow they are, is doing a disservice to yourself and also to people who haven't undergone WLS yet and are here to get some insight and do research for their own possible surgical journey.

Stalls happen. Weight loss slows down. It seems the closer you are to whatever goal you're working towards, the more evasive it becomes.

I think it's really important to focus on what you HAVE accomplished rather than to let what you haven't done yet get you down. This isn't a race. The journey to health is just that: a Journey. There's no finish line. This is something we do as a lifestyle.

The next time you think you might be about to complain that you've "only" lost xx amount of weight, please stop for a second and think about how you might feel if you hadn't lost any of that at all. And think about what message you might be conveying to someone who hasn't had WLS yet and is looking for advice here. It gives newbies and pre-ops the idea that weight is supposed to just magically melt away and that 30 or 40 lbs in 2 months after surgery isn't an acceptable rate of weight loss.

I agree with you on this its not a sprint it's a marathon the slower you lose the longer it will stay away and patience is a great virtue.

Well said! People who think this weight will magically disappear don't yet get the fact that even after WLS it takes time and a lot of very hard work to lose each and every pound.

Every time I lose a single pound I get so very excited because there are many weeks where I battle the same pound or two over and over again.

Be thankful for every single pound you lose and realize it is not going to happen over night, you did not gain it overnight and I can guarantee you you won't lose it that way either.

Well said!!!

May I add

The slower you lose the better chance of skin tightening back to your new form!!

A loss is a loss no matter the speed at which it falls.

Amen, sister!

Can we just copy and paste your post into every "I've ONLY lost XX amount!" thread?

I'm not sure I'm qualified to agree with all of you yet given I'm so early in this process... but I agree with you!

I'm visualizing what I'm about to embark on as initially a sprint (the surgery and initial dramatic weight loss) that then turns into a long marathon (shedding the last pounds slowly til I hit goal), and then a nice run, keeping a steady pace of calories in/calories out to maintain the weight loss thereafter. From the comments I've seen here it sounds like I'm seriously oversimplifying what will happen at the running stage, but the point is, this is a long journey. The key is to keep your eye on the prize and keep on trucking.

I'm not sure I'm qualified to agree with all of you yet given I'm so early in this process... but I agree with you!

I'm visualizing what I'm about to embark on as initially a sprint (the surgery and initial dramatic weight loss) that then turns into a long marathon (shedding the last pounds slowly til I hit goal), and then a nice run, keeping a steady pace of calories in/calories out to maintain the weight loss thereafter. From the comments I've seen here it sounds like I'm seriously oversimplifying what will happen at the running stage, but the point is, this is a long journey. The key is to keep your eye on the prize and keep on trucking.

Exactly!! This is lifelong. The whole point I'm making is for people just like you. I joined this site during my pre-op and I would see people actually complaining about weight loss. Who would ever complain about weight LOSS?!

Agreed! I made this change for life. I didn't get to goal by my one year surgiversary. So what? I just keep going and continue to improve my life choices. It will come off eventually if I work for it.

Great post. We have to remember that we didn't put it on overnight and it won't come off that way either.