Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgeon never mentioned anything about drains… I never had them for my band surgery and never had them for my band removal. Does anyone know under what circumstnaces drains are used? Thank you!

No, but I wish I had one. I am 2 weeks (tomorrow) post band to sleeve, and i have a seroma or hematoma or whatever at the site where my port was. It drains at the least opportune times, and can be quite sore. My surgeon assures me it was expected. I wish he would just put in a drain, so this would quit draining. Good luck with your surgery.

Is it usually for band to sleeve in one shot? I had band out no problems. In fact, scars were minimal. Don't have sleeve yet….

For me it was. I think some on here have had to wait between procedures. I have only been on this site for a few days, have spent lots of time reading old posts, learning. There is lots of good info here.

I had one drain during my time in the hospital for my sleeve and it was pulled on day 3 before I left. During plastics I had multiple drains each time, and trust me, drains are a huge pain in the butt but they are very important. It just pulls the extra Fluid out so that you aren't stuck with it inside of you. I had a drain that wasn't working for one of my plastics procedures so I pulled it earlier than I normally would have since there was no output...that stupid drain hole drained itself for almost a week, randomly spewing Fluid and blood all over the place whenever it felt like it. Like Shrek though, remember, it's better out than in!

I have had band, band out, and then sleeve. Never had a drain. Like you, @@Bndtoslv, I had minimal scars from band removal... and that seemed to be a very very easy surgery and recovery for me. I didn't have drains for the Sleeve surgery either, and had an equally easy recovery.

Oh, I had drains for my plastic, also. they were a pain, but I didn't ruin my pajamas and sheets...and it seems like the time with drains made the time "draining" less. The other incisions are healed, I have minimal pain except from the "drainer". I see the surgeon on Wed, hopefully he and I will pow-wow about this little problem.

I had a drain after my sleeve. I had it until I went to my one week follow up.

My doc doesn't use them.

I think it depends on your surgeon rather than the situation. My bariatric practice is overly cautious on EVERYTHING, and they said that everyone gets a drain. Mine was removed the day I left the hospital, as my practice won't allow people to leave the hospital with one. If there was a need to keep it in, I would have had to stay longer at the hospital.

I had a drain, it was annoying but think it saved me from a lot of hassle. You see, they could see and measure the output and this is what tipped them off that I had a small bleed. They went back in and all was well. I kind of suspect that whatever is your surgeon's best practice, that's what you will get. They're a bit stubborn like that.

Tracy

My surgeon used a drain. It was taken out before I left the hospital, after a dye study to check for leaking. I didn't mind it at all.

I'm actually jealous of you guys that had a drain. Instead, my incision where my lap band port was has drained for two weeks. I see the surgeon tomorrow, going to ask if it's too late to put one in. My husband and I are pros at caring for drains, we have both had them after other surgeries. It's a hassle for a short time, but not nearly as big a hassle as having the drainage ruin your clothes and sheets. I hate to go out because the drainage happens at random...even with a dressing on , I will look down and have a nasty spot on my shirt.

This is the first I've heard of a drain. I am 2 months into my 4 month required wait before approval for surgery. Thanks for sharing. I will be attending a seminar soon and will be interested in hearing about this.

Edited by HopeandAgony

This seems to be yet another point of huge variation for the procedure. My doc doesn't use drains, and the scarring from the incisions are quite minimal.

However, I know that some Docs (and especially the Mexi-Docs) always use a drain.

I asked my Doc about drains, and he said it usually has to do with the physician experience level. My Doc does 300+ procedures a year, so he knows when a drain is needed - very rare - vs the general case. The converse is that some well experienced docs have had issues, so they just always do a drain.

Also, my Doc says that usage of the drain also depends on the degree that the Doc over sews the sleeve itself. Some Docs only over sew the ends of the sleeve, since that is where most leakage occurs. In the case of my Doc - he learned from experience - he over sews the ENTIRE SLEEVE - which is the primary reason he rarely uses a drain.

PS Over sew means that the Doc actually rolls up the slides of the sleeve staple line to the inside, and then additionally sutures the outside of the sleeve. Reduces stretching (but all sleeve will eventually stretch) and really cuts down on leakage issues.

-RC-