Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Everyone!

I'm a 31 year old man from Houston looking into getting Lapband WLS sometime soon. I feel like I have tried everything. I'm tired of not feeling like myself. I haven't gotten approval yet, but am looking forward to seeing what my chances are.

I have around 36 BMI and was wondering if anyone has had success getting WLS/Lapband at that BMI. I have a lot of the conditions that go with being obese; Hypertension, sleep Apnea, High Cholesterol, and definitely some self-esteem issues. I also have a fatty liver which I am not sure hurts or helps my case.

I also wanted to see if there are any men out there that can let me know what the experience was like for them, though I would also love to hear from the women on their experiences as well. ;)

Seeing all of the success everyone has achieved gives me great hope this is the tool I need to make my weight loss successful.

Any and all feed back is much appreciated!!!

Hi Diggity!

Welcome! I am preband too, I will be banded in August (yippee!:clap2:) but I have found soooo much support and soooo many answers here, I am sure if you start poking around you will find what you are looking for.

Lee Ann

Welcome Diggity! I had surgery by Dr. Spivak September of last year and wouldn't change a thing! It has been an amazing process in so many ways. Congratulations and good luck.

P.S. Check out the Spivak Patients thread.....lotsa useful information there!

Hi Diggity,

I was banded yesterday by Spivak....he was great I am still sore and have gas pains ut I am walking and looking forward to this being a ood thing.

Cathy

I had my surgery with Dr. Spivak in March - I have no regrets other than not doing it sooner.

Good luck!

Hazelbunny and I were both banded by Dr. Spivak on the same day, and it looks like we have both had the same great success so far. I second her statement that I have no regrets and only wish I had done it sooner. Good luck with the approval process. I was a self-pay patient so I can't give you any advice about how to deal with the insurance companies, but I encourage you to persevere and get it done even if you have to pay for it yourself.

The first few weeks after surgery are the most difficult (but not that difficult) as you relearn how to eat, exercise, and live with the band, but now 3 months later, it all seems second nature to me, and the results for me have been great.

Hi Diggity!

Welcome to Lap-Band World.

This website is great. You can learn so much from the folks here (sometimes TMI, too...lol).

I attend Dr. Spivak's support group every Tuesday night at 7 pm in his office. Pre-Banders are welcome. Hope to see you next week.

I'm getting banded in about a month and my BMI is 36 also. Have high blood pressure and am prediabetic. Although I haven't gone through it yet I say go for it - wish I had been able to do it when I was 31! Never too late though!