Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's no April Fool's Joke.

I go for my sleeve in two days, Wednesday, April 1, 2015.

I have to say, this has been one of the hardest decisions and processes in my life. And I have been through many mentally and physically demanding events.

It's not the "right" thing to do, it's the NECESSARY thing to do. I know that. I'm an intelligent man who has had numerous, frank conversations with his doctors. That's what keeps me marching forward, through all the doctors visits / tests and the wonderful liquid diet. But the fear, anxiety and the unknown weighs heavy at times.

Up until a few days ago, I could watch myself take this emotional roller coaster ride. One that I was unable to stop and get off. I'm sure a lot of that had to do with the diet, which I now have become accustomed to. But I have now become sanguine over the pending surgery with the hope that 1 year from now, I'll be able to look back and say, "This was the best decision of my life."

I understand completely! I was not excited like many on here about getting this surgery but I knew that I needed it to improve my health. Good Luck to you! I am 4 months out and so far, very happy with this decision.

I am also having my surgery on the first! I am a nervous wreck lol

Hey guys, count me in the special April 1st group!!!!

So many emotions so I have tried to stay super busy!

Best wishes and regards to our special group!!

Blessings to you all. I am 6 months out and I have no regrets I am very happy and pleased with my decision love the way I'm looking and feeling!!!

So ask yourself what you are doing it for, and if it is for your health, you're on the right track. Any other reasons may make you want to think twice. You've done your research, asked your questions of all the appropriate people, and still are concerned. So the next thing to ask is, what will happen to you if you DON'T do the surgery? Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith. I have had 22 surgeries to date. Many a lot more serious than the sleeve. The sleeve surgery, I can honestly say, was the easiest and least painful one I have had. BUT.......it was also the most successful for what it promised to do (albeit I have to do my part to make it work, as well). You have the support of this site, it helps a lot if you really take the time to read the many posts on it. And really utilize your surgical team. That is what you pay them for, and I think a lot of people under-use them. Good luck to you, and ask all the questions you want!

I'm having sleeve surgery TOMORROW; and I do understand the ups and downs of this decision. I've been very excited up until today; fears and doubts have crept in, and the worst case scenarios have been plaguing my mind all day....WHAT IF.....I have two teens...WHAT IF....you get the drift. So, I decided to refocus, trust God and remember how miserable I've been these past six years, and how every single diet plan has failed!! Or I've failed at every single one!! I used to know how to lose weight in a jiffy....I was a gym rat. Then, I broke my ankle, and after three surgeries, had to have it fused. That began my journey to obesity, and it has been such a mental and physical struggle. So, focus on WHY you decided to have this surgery in the first place, and that should ease your fears. I'll be saying a special prayer for all of the upcoming sleevers....and trust that we will all be so happy with this decision looking back. BEST OF LUCK!!

Getting sleeved on April 6th and also not excited. I basically feel like I made this decision and I am going through with it. I had a moment of anxiety today eating lunch and feeling like I will never eat a "normal" portion again. But I have moved past that feeling. I am basically going to white knuckle it. I don't believe I can maintain weight loss without surgery. So I have to do this. I am hoping that my lack of excitement will help me after surgery. I have heard that most everyone has some feelings of buyers remorse initially. Perhaps I won't be so let down because I lack excitement now?

I think it is good you are thinking about your feelings and processing them. Prepare yourself for feelings of regret and then feelings of joy when the weight comes off. When feeling panic I would tell yourself three reasons why you are doing this and that its going to be ok. Repeat the same mantra whenever the feelings come.

I'm not going to lie to you guys, this is HARD WORK! You have your legitimate worries about the surgery, surgery is never fun. But, in my opinion, it is the EASY part. You may have a painful recovery - goes with surgery. But the hardest part is sticking with the program. How many times I have read on this site about people not following their program AFTER the surgery, and wondering why it didn't work!!! You will have stalls, very discouraging stalls. So, start out TODAY with a tape measure!!!! Take today's measurements so you have a base to work from, then when the stalls begin, you can SEE progress! Because your body is going to fight back - fight the starvation it thinks it is going through. At the most, weigh only once a week - choose a day (I prefer Mondays), and weigh wearing the same thing everytime you get on it.

Listen to your head-hunger! Then tell it to SHUT-UP! Follow your plan, and have the Dr. give you an acid reducer - that should help the phantom hunger you will feel. Eat every 3 hours, so the "hunger" is kept at bay - NO GRAZING!!! Use popsicles (sugar-free, of course) for the crunch and chew you need. SIP! Keep it going down! You may even put on a few water-weight pounds for the first few weeks of surgery. Be mentally prepared.

You, more than likely, will have pain from the gas they fill you up with throughout your left shoulder area. And pain around the incision sites and general abdominal area. WALK! After surgery, the more you walk, the faster those gas pains will go away.

Have a hobby to do to get your mind off food (your whole life you have been eating - now you have to change the focus!)Make it an enjoyable one (or more), so you look forward to doing it.

Most of all, get ready for the biggest (probably) change in your life to date! EVERYTHING will change in your physical life. What, when, how you eat. Your clothing sizes and styles. How people see you. How YOU see YOURSELF!

All the best to you, I am praying for you all!

@CanyonBaby: how elegant your reply is! It really sums up what you need to do! 6 weeks out from surgery, and I am beginning to feel the pressure of "sticking to the program." I have so far, but am ever mindful of all of the times I was successful at a diet, then gained it all back. That is what scares me the most. But, with all of the encouragement I get here, I know I can do it! I want to be an example to those that follow me!

@@lclemur

Thanks for the compliment! Yeah, there are certainly pressures in following the plan, but I see it this way: I have had ABSOLUTELY NO luck doing this on my own, so I had the surgery kinda so I would have someone/something to tell me what to do (because I haven't been successful at this). The plan tells me what to do, and I follow it. Simple as that. I am down 52lbs since I started this, and I know I couldn't have done that on my own. Even if I don't lose one more pound, I am content. But I will, because I am following the plan. Oh! A reason to shop! Like I needed another one! My life, my way, happy today!!! Happy to all of you, as well!

Was the best decision in my life...I had to do it or I was going to be totally disabled. 3 months post surgery and I have had no regrets. Best of Luck with your journey.

I was sleeved on March 31st, and I have had ZERO issues! I had no gas to speak of after surgery; no pain, no nausea....nothing! I'm starting to feel very fatigued, so that's about the biggest issue I've had since Tuesday's surgery. But, I am working on getting my Protein in by focusing on the Protein shakes; they are by far the best source of a large amount of protein. I've managed to eat 2 oz. of cottage cheese and yogurt as well, twice a day, and am up to about 35-40 oz. of Water per day. I also haven't had any acid reflux, and I suffered with that prior to surgery. I've lost 11 lbs. since last Sunday.....so, I am SO happy I did this for myself, and all of my fears and worries were for naught!! I hope and pray everyone else has the same, amazing experience I've had. Blessing to you all~~

@@CanyonBaby, absolutely love the positive approach and advice. Needed it more today. You are so right regarding the stalls. I was sleeved on March 4th. Lost 20 pounds during 2 week pre-op and another 26 pounds since the surgery. I hit a stall my 3rd week in and haven't lost any pounds in the last 2 weeks; actually gained a pound and then lost that. However, you right about taking the measurements. I declare the inches are indeed coming off. I tried a skirt on one day and then tried it 5 days later and it was much loser. I take my measurements monthly and I'm seeing 3-4-5-6 inches lost in several areas. I do need to stay off the scales and only check weekly - still struggling in this area cause I'm on it daily to see how the foods I'm eating are affecting me. Will go to a weekly weigh in.

Now you mentioned something about having the Dr. prescribe something to keep the phantom hunger pangs at bay. I'm having really weird hunger pangs. I try to drink Water or Protein first to see if it goes away. What I've learned is that it's actually time for me to eat something. I would much rather not experience the pain as it is a bit uncomfortable at times. Please share any thoughts you have or the meds prescribed. Can't wait to call my doc for it. LOL

@@SleevedNFree

I am so glad to hear of your success! This will probably be one of the most challenging things you will ever do for yourself, and in following the plan, for you LIFE!

As far as meds for your hunger, it is actually for your acid, which makes you FEEL like your hungry. Some Dr.s prescribe it for a year, mine didn't give me one at all. It is an acid reducer, and I think Prilosec is one brand (people help me out here, I don't know all the brands!!!), and I think you can get them OTC, but you should probably ask your Dr. how they feel about it, for your particular situation. I understand many on this site use them and have good success with it.

Like I said, I have never used one, to date, and am able to control the hunger by doing one simple thing on my plan: eat every 3 hours. No time to get hungry! And Protein first.

Another thing I think people forget about is their thirst. Hunger can easily be mistaken for thirst, so try drinking first. Thirst is a SYMPTOM of dehydration, so when you are thirsty, you are ALREADY dehydrated! So keep ahead of that! Sometimes all your body wants is fluids, Water really. And summer is coming on, so dehydration is going to be a big problem for us, especially those who are still having problems getting Water in. Remember to add the Water Enhancer drops to assist you in getting the water in. It REALLY does help!

I hope this all helps, and have a Blessed Easter!