Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nausea Anxiety Depression insomnia

Trying hard not to regret my surgery but all this is really taking a toll on me. 9 weeks out. Anyone else gone thru this? I'm now in anti depressants and anxiety meds. I can't believe it but I just couldn't cope.

Im having a lot of trouble too, i really thought I was prepared and I started great but now ugh, I wish I never had to eat or drink again,

I feel the same way I'm really scared.

I feel the same way. I am 5 weeks out, am always nauseous, am anxious and depressed and hormonal and haven't lost any weight in two weeks. I'm really starting to question, and maybe even regret, my choice.

I'm reading other posts and trying to find the normal but everyone is soo different. I have trouble with Protein and what I liked yesterday, I hate today, I hope something changes because now I cant even turn to my friend "food" because it makes me sick, I hate to look at, smell or even think about it now.... uh oh.

I never read posts like this pre-surgery.

I have to make myself eat while gagging.

@@downsizingdiva

I'm sorry for your discomfort and regret.

Have you spoken with your nutritionist about this? Have they suggested smaller meals? Are you spacing your liquids and your solids adequately?

I was developing an intolerance to artificial sweeteners which are in all of the ready to drink Protein beverages and most of the powdered mixes. I have since switched to Isopure unflavored and I stopped eating sugar-free this and that and am doing much better.

I enjoy cooking so I am looking forward to the variety of foods and seasonings that I will be able to eat again soon in moderation. If you don't cook, perhaps someone close to you can help with food prep?

I hope that these feelings of regret will soon pass. If not, maybe you should seek counseling.

I didn't have any problems like this at all.

I'm sorry you guys are so uncomfortable.

Are you getting any exercise at all?

Were you depressed, anxious before surgery?

I think I am starting to stress over the Vitamins. Is that going well for everyone? Date is 4/2 one minute I think I've got it next minute I'm scared.

I wasnt depressed or anxious nor did I have insomnia before surgery. I'm walking briskly every day. I will say today has been a little better and I was actually hungry for the first time in two weeks. Maybe I'm getting better. I eat 1/2 cup or less and I do make sure I separate food and liquid by more than 30 minutes. I sure have been feeling hopeless but maybe it's getting better.

Edited by downsizingdiva

Ps I am not missing food, I loath it, I dont know why my body has reacted this way, I used to be normal lol.

Discovering the Isopure unflavored was a godsend. Being able to have Soup or broth w/o that horrid, sickly sweet fake taste was divine. I don't eat processed foods so I didn't care about "flavored " Protein Drinks or waters.

My advice to all is to hang in there. These early eating stages will pass. Also if you are depressed get out side and catch some air. Even if for 5 mins. If things feel really overwhelming let your doctor know. There is no shame in getting help.

Edited by BLERDgirl

I think the thing is this: we build up a dream for so long (especially if you had to do the insurance gig for months on end), that we have unrealistic expectations that cannot meet what we have expected. So, for those who have yet to have the surgery, may I suggest reading posts, and taking to heart, what others are going through after they have had the surgery? That way you have a strong idea of what is coming at you. Listen, really listen to the ones who have had the surgery. Ask them questions. Believe what they say, they have no reason to make up anything. You can be assured that what they tell you is accurate.

For the ones who have had the surgery already and are disappointed, have the sensation of being let down, are blue from the onslaught of less-than-pleasant realities; let me say this, all of these things (unless you have complications) WILL PASS.

Maybe because I've had so many surgeries I can see beyond the present unpleasantness, I know that what I may be currently experiencing won't last, especially if I am following the rules given to me. I have read lots of posts on here about people drinking with straws, eating things that are way to early to eat, eating improper foods, drinking alcohol/caffeinated beverages, smoking.....and then I read about people having problems that may or may not be associated with those non-compliant behaviors. Then there are those with the idea they know more than the surgeons/dieticians/nurses who have studied hard to learn their craft, and tell others what meds/vitamins to take, what they should be doing and not doing....the list goes on. Seek advice from those who know their business. Your surgical team.

The best thing you can do for yourself, in my opinion, is to always look FORWARD. ALWAYS. If you get stuck in the moody blues, they will drag you down. Look PAST them. See what the future holds for those who are willing to stay with the program and follow the rules diligently. And don't dwell in the pity-party that is SOOOOO willing to swallow you up.

I sincerely wish you all the best, and have peace over what you have either already done, or are deciding to do.

Trying hard not to regret my surgery but all this is really taking a toll on me. 9 weeks out. Anyone else gone thru this? I'm now in anti depressants and anxiety meds. I can't believe it but I just couldn't cope.

You are totally normal. First off, humans aren't designed to cope perfectly with major life changes like bariatric surgery. We experience a period of adjustment, and sometimes we need extra support. (I already have anxiety, but needed a temporary increase in my anti-anxiety meds after the surgery). In addition, emotions are biochemical responses in the brain, and sleeve surgery is a HUGE biological change for the body, and that can throw body systems completely out of whack. It can be severe nausea, major Constipation (I got that), fatigue, and yes, even altered emotional responses. We need to learn good coping skills and master them fast, and some of us just need a little outside support.

What you are going through is totally normal! I should know - I was a therapist, and I am still a patient too!

Hey everyone. I just wanted to say that I'm almost 6 months post op, and the first month-6 weeks sucked! I would get so excited that next week I can have scrambled egg, then I would gag and get so nauseous even thinking about eating. I've battled depression and anxiety as well, and this process definitely takes a toll. Just remember to keep your Fluid intake up, Protein (shakes if that's all you can tolerate), and rest as much as you need.

I was exhausted the first month, and even though I took 10 days off after surgery, I would have to take an hour break each day to nap because I was so tired. My energy came back after the first month,and I'm so glad I did this! I had several regrets that first month though, and couldn't believe what I had gotten myself into because I was so miserable. Just know that it's a phase and you will get through it! Go to support groups, talk to you surgeon/counselor, and just remember that it will get better!!!