Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery 4/8/15 & scared it won't work

Hi all,

This is my first post. My surgery is 4/8 and I am starting to have this overwhelming feeling (and sometimes dreams) that my surgery won't work and I will have done all this preop for nothing. I guess I can't grasp that I will feel full after 1/4 cup of food. It's so hard to imagine. Did anyone else feel like this? I'm worried to the point of actually canceling to avoid the surgery. I know it's probably a silly fear but it's a fear nonetheless. I also started the two week preop diet about 4 weeks ago on my own and am losing consistently. I've lost about 20 pounds on my own since mid-January. I don't know if that's contributing to this feeling? I'm so nervous! Help!

@@lfry925 I think most of us go through that. I was always hungry..like always. I would eat a full dinner and eat again a hour later. I was like you In the fact that I couldn't imagine such small amounts of food. Well I had surgery 11/3 and I literally eat 4-5 bits Of food and I'm done. It's weird at first but you get use to it. I actually enjoy not being able to stuff myself. I like having the full sensation and having it for hours at a time.

I also have that nagging feeling in the back of my mind. My surgery is March 19th. I think about all the crazy diets I have been on for the last probably 18years and the failure that I have had and I can't help but to wonder if this will be another failed attempt. Don't get me wrong I am ready & prepared to see this through. I don't think this way most of the time. I am feeling good about this opportunity, but I do get those creeping thoughts. I am getting very nervous now that surgery is so close, but I imagine it is normal.

FAITH. Have it. Take some time and read posts that relate to your concerns. There are thousands of us (THOUSANDS) who have thought what you do, been through what you are going through. Read the posts! And the best to you!

I had some doubts, but knew I needed to get my weight under control for health reasons. I panicked at the last workshop before the surgery thinking i wouldn't be able to follow the post op diet stages. The alternative for me was the yo yo dieting & my medical conditions worsening. So I went back ton thinking about why I started this journey. And glad I stuck with it. Over 2 years post op & couldn't feel better.

Good Luck!!!

Im scheduled for march 25. It does seem unreal to me that it will work as well! After so many failures over the years it's hard to believe.

I think having a little bit of that fear is good... Helps to keep you more vigilant and wanting to not make this work. My very best wishes to those of you getting sleeve this month. I don't think you will regret it!

thanks, everyone! I'm 5 days preop and I'm so super excited! I have no concerns anymore. I've been exercising consistently and I think that helps a lot. It keeps my mind occupied and of course I feel better after I do it and I think "that wasn't so hard!!!"... My goal is to lose 100 pounds but I know I'll be hap-hap-happy when I come off my blood pressure meds!!!!! Hope everyone is doing well and have a great Easter/Passover weekend!

I am also due to be sleeved on the 8th of April. I am starting to get so nervous and wonder why am I doing this, the pre op diet has been a good experience. I am also worried about failing at this as I have failed at everything else. I have very mixed emotions as its now only 4 days away.

Hi there my surgery is scheduled for April 10 in Mexico and I'm also scared that somehow I won't be full . I am right now I'm never fall I can eat all the time and I just never get that feeling of fullness or when I do feel full after a really large meal and then I'm hungry and I can eat like an hour later. I am totally willing to do the work as far as eating healthy and exercising I'm just really scared that somehow I still won't feel full.

Trust. It works! Good luck. This the beginning of your new life!

I am 2 1/2 years out, and I still think about that, too. I've lost about 140 pounds and kept it off, and I KNOW that if I am not careful, I'll gain it all back.

In the early days, it is a little shocking that yes, you do get full on a few bites. And that is a literal statement. food loses its appeal for a while, and eating doesn't seem worth the effort. Hunger is gone, or at least different. It is really such a relief from the relentless hunger and drive to eat that most of experienced pre-op.

It's important to know that over time, things loosen up, and you will likely be able to eat more. food becomes appealing again. You really have to work at the continued loss or maintenance. However, the hunger is either gone or greatly decreased, and the capacity is still much smaller, so it's doable.

My point is this: It does and will work for the vast majority, but you also have to do your part. It's not a miracle. You have to decide every day, all day, how you will take advantage of this gift.