Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Long term slow loser results?

Hi all, I've been a slow loser since day 1. HW:364 SW:347 CW:285 at 6.5 months. I'm very greatful for any loss but I have to say I'm terrified that this is suppose to be my honeymoon period and what it will mean when it's supposed to "slow down"...

So, I'm curious to know, for all of you who are 1+ years out of surgery, did your weight loss slow dramatically ? At what month and by how much?

@@snowkitten - thanks for opening up this topic. I'm eager to know the answers, too. I'm 6 1/2 months from surgery and have lost 47 pounds of the 100+ I need to drop . . .

Too slow!

Yeah I think it's definetly something that needs to be discussed, I just hope some people have some input on it!

I'm 3 months post op and I guess I'm considered slow, too. But, I'm not so sure I buy into this "honeymoon" period nonsense. I think that line of thinking happens as a result of people naturally getting lax after a year, and not so much a result of the tool itself. I think the tool works as long as you work the tool. In other words, even if you lose slow, you still lose. Just keep doing the right things.

I sure hope your right, but I've heard many drs use the term too so I can't help thinking it's real.

I agree with @@bobbyswife No mention of this "honeymoon" period by anyone on my bariatric team. I'm 3 months PostOP and down 95 pounds (60 PreOp). It doesn't matter if it takes 6 months or 2 years...at some point we will achieve our goals if we continue to work the program consistently and with fidelity.

Hi all

I actually just asked the same question in another post. I was hoping some more veterans would tell their stories of what it's like after the yr to yr and 1/2 mark.

I'm losing but it's slow. My surgery was 12/9. Sw: 318.8 cw: 253 I'm 5'5" so I have just over 100 more to lose.

I've also been measuring and I've lost 13.5 inches (at last check, I'm due for another) from my waist. Almost 8 in from my hips. So I'm seeing movement but it's very slow.

I don't mind working my butt off until I get to goal weight, I just want to know what happens when you hit that timeframe. It concerns me bc any slower weight loss and it will come to a halt.

I was disappointed in the responses I got. Im not 1+ year our But I've pretty much got my answer.

I'm now 9 months out and I can say for sure that the honeymoon period is over. My weight loss has slowed dramatically. I find that despite still having restriction and not being able to eat much, it's almost like I don't have the sleeve. Ive significantly increased my activity and I watch my food like I did pre surgery and have barely lost a pound this past month. So I think in my case it's safe to say that yes you can get even slower at losing lol

I was a slow loser, especially near the end. It took me exactly 1 year and 7 months to hit goal, which was from 237 to 129, or 108 pounds. If I divided it out, this works out to 5.68 pounds a month. At a year out I was down from 237 to 153 which is 84 pounds and works out to 7 pounds a month. At 7 months, I was 67 pounds down, which works out to 9.5 pounds a month roughly. So...my loss did slow significantly over time. It took me from December 2014 to April 2015 to go from 134-129...the last 5 pounds were a beast. Since then I've dropped an extra 3 pounds and I seem to fluctuate between around 126-129.

My sleeve was done Feb 2014. I am 61 now and basically had it done to cure my diabetes and high BP, which was successful . I was about 65 lbs overweight. I have lost 40 of it but no matter what I do, it just does not come off fast enough. I log, am at. About 800 cals a day, scarce carbs, about 60 grams Protein a day sometimes more. I walk about 4 miles a day...fitbit keeps me honest. My clothes are falling off me but the weight is not. I attribute that to inches being shifted around I guess. This last 20 or so lbs is crazy. Doc told me to add swimming but weather in NE Ohio has been sucky so far. Hoping this will kick start the loss again. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated!!!

I've done alot of research lately and one thing I read that I found interesting is an article that said because wls patients are on a low calorie diet for so long our metabolisms gets messed up and we actually have to eat 30% less then a normal person who is on a diet. That's why a normal person can lose on a 1200 calorie diet but many of us have to go much lower.

Im not sure if that helps any of you, but I for one am using the info to try and figure out how many calories i can eat vs how many calories i need to burn (I don't know if I trust my fitbit on how many calories I'm burning).

If anyone has any other ideas or info I'd love to know

I stalled at 9 months out, creeped up 10 pounds and have been struggling to loose the 10, never got to goal and almost 2 years out now.

@@samelton68 so sorry your struggling. How much do u have to goal?

@@cleveroc that's awesome. I added bike riding and plan to add swimming to my winter routine. I also cut back on the carbs. It kick stared my loss again. It's still slow, but at least I'm not at a standstill.

@@samelton68 so sorry your struggling. How much do u have to goal?

@@cleveroc that's awesome. I added bike riding and plan to add swimming to my winter routine. I also cut back on the carbs. It kick stared my loss again. It's still slow, but at least I'm not at a standstill.

I still have 47 pounds to go