Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vegetables after weight loss surgery

So I have been pushing Protein so much now I want to add some vegetables. So far I have eaten only mushrooms and can tolerate them. I want to try brussel sprouts, asparagus and cauliflower. I used to like grains like rice, but I have heard that after surgery eating things with Fiber could cause an intestinal blockage. So I would like to know what vegetables are everyone eating out there and if any gave you problems and if you could eat rice without any issues?

We just made chicken tacos with a cauliflower shell that was really good. It's ground up after you steam it with an egg so it's soft, no problems with it. I've had a few bits of salad, steamed carrots, grilled beets ect... I haven't had any issues with anything. I don't normally eat much since I'm full of Protein at that point.@@Shannon Piper

Had spinach dip with no problem at all. Tried a rice and broccoli casserole today which was really creamy. No issues, Ate about half a cup of each with a very soft consistency.

I don't think we are advised to have rice due to it expanding in our tummy..

It depends on how far out you are. I couldn't tolerate most green veggies one month post op but by two months it was much better. Now I've tried pretty much everything and it all does very well.

The first time I tried rice it made me feel terrible and I only had one teaspoon. I just tried rice again yesterday and had that same "way too full" feeling so I'll continue to avoid it until I'm closer to my goal weight.

So I have been pushing Protein so much now I want to add some vegetables. So far I have eaten only mushrooms and can tolerate them. I want to try brussel sprouts, asparagus and cauliflower. I used to like grains like rice, but I have heard that after surgery eating things with Fiber could cause an intestinal blockage. So I would like to know what vegetables are everyone eating out there and if any gave you problems and if you could eat rice without any issues?

Not true. I'm a vegetarian. Easily 75% of what I eat contains fiber. I have been eating them since day 1. When I was all liquid I would make a bean Soup. I also added a bit of spinach to my Protein drinks and Soups.

As for vegetables try what you like. Just allow time to see if you body reacts negatively before adding anything else new. I have been enjoying small green salads since 6 weeks out.

As for grains, I don't eat white rice, but I have had brown rice and quinoa with no issues.

I have never had Constipation or diarrhea. I had my first BM 3 days after coming home from the hospital and I've been regular ever since.

Edited by BLERDgirl

If I steam it, I can eat it. I can eat some veggies raw, like carrots and broccoli (torn into teeny pieces) and I can even eat a little salad, though I backed away from raw kale the other day.

I can eat salad with no problem, and pretty much all veggies. Broccolini works, but regular broccoli took the longest to be able to eat and sometimes that still feels "wrong". Cabbage is fine for me, so I'm guessing sprouts would be, too? Asparagus might be tough, but I'd say try one at a time and try stuff cooked before you chance it raw.

As for rice, I just tried it recently at about 3 months and it goes down fine. I'm avoiding cooking it at home, but if it's part of something I don't avoid that thing just to avoid the rice.

Happy experimenting!

I was eating well cooked, mushy veggies as soon as I was allowed solid food. Of course only a teaspoon or two would fit after my Protein. By 3 months I was eating raw veggies. And because I make sure I get a big hunk of my Protein in a smoothie everyday (30-40g), that leaves me free to eat more veggies than if I had to to try and get protein in at every meal. You name it, I eat it....spinach, cauliflower, broccoli, green Beans, carrots, tomatoes, kale, spaghetti squash, peppers, edamame, cabbage, lettuce, asparagus, and Brussel sprouts. I eat less of the sweet/starchy veggies like potatoes, corn, peas, butternut squash, and yams.

As for rice, I'm a big sushi fan, so of course I eat it. But I actually didn't eat white carbs, (rice, Pasta, bread) until I passed goal. We are advised not to eat them because they are empty carbs and could slow or stop weight loss, not because of intestinal blockage from Fiber. I actually add insoluble fiber to my protein smoothie every day to help with normal BM's.

Edited by Kindle

I have switched from 'regular' sushi with rice to sashimi with no rice - I couldn't live without sushi! I've had rice a few times, and if I don't eat too much (maybe a spoonful). I've never considered rice a vegetable though.

@@Kindle - your post just made me hungry!

@@Kindle - your post just made me hungry!

Me too, I'm headed out the door to get some fixins for a veggie lemongrass basil stir fry ???? ! I found these great Indian and Thai sauces at a Natural Foods store I want to try out.

And PS, I love love love seaweed salad. Is this a veggie?

Edited by Kindle

Me too, I'm headed out the door to get some fixins for a veggie lemongrass basil stir fry ! I found these great Indian and Thai sauces at a Natural Foods store I want to try out.

And PS, I love love love seaweed salad. Is this a veggie?

if I lived closer I might have to come over for dinner. :D Yes, seaweed is a vegetable.

I was eating well cooked, mushy veggies as soon as I was allowed solid food. Of course only a teaspoon or two would fit after my Protein. By 3 months I was eating raw veggies. And because I make sure I get a big hunk of my Protein in a smoothie everyday (30-40g), that leaves me free to eat more veggies than if I had to to try and get protein in at every meal. You name it, I eat it....spinach, cauliflower, broccoli, green Beans, carrots, tomatoes, kale, spaghetti squash, peppers, edamame, cabbage, lettuce, asparagus, and Brussel sprouts. I eat less of the sweet/starchy veggies like potatoes, corn, peas, butternut squash, and yams.

As for rice, I'm a big sushi fan, so of course I eat it. But I actually didn't eat white carbs, (rice, Pasta, bread) until I passed goal. We are advised not to eat them because they are empty carbs and could slow or stop weight loss, not because of intestinal blockage from Fiber. I actually add insoluble fiber to my protein smoothie every day to help with normal BM's.

What kind of smoothie are you drinking that contains 40G of protein? I'd like to try that

What kind of smoothie are you drinking that contains 40G of Protein? I'd like to try that

Here's my typical mixtures...

Muscle Milk 1 1/2 scoops + 16oz milk = 40g

Premier Protein 11oz + 12oz milk = 42g

Syntrax nectar 2 scoops + 32oz Water = 46g

Raw Fit 1 1/2 scoops + 24oz Water = 42g

Spirutein 1 1/2 scoops + 16oz milk = 37g

Raw Protein 2 scoops + 24oz water = 34g

I found water works better with some and milk works better with others. It's a matter of taste preference. Then of course I add my fiber supplement, sometimes Torani or davinci syrups, and sometimes fresh fruit like berries, bananas, peaches and mangos to mix up the flavors. Been doing this for over a year. And like I said, it allows me to eat a more balanced diet of veggies, fruit and whole grains because I'm not trying to cram in protein for every teeny tiny meal or snack.< /p>

Also be aware that our bodies can only absorb just so much protein at one time...they rest is just converted to glucose. so I drink these slowly and limit my intake to no more than 20g/hour. I put ice in them so they stay cold.