Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two things --

1. I have never had a surgery before or missed work due to something like this -- can you just use Sick Days?

2. I don't really care to tell people exactly what I am doing. I am just a private person and do not like attention. I am going to have to tell them I am out having surgery, but I don't care to get into specifics.

How did you handle it?

I told my boss I was "having surgery" and left it at that. I didn't say what kind of surgery and they legally have no right to ask, unless they are handling your FMLA paperwork. As to whether or not you can just use sick days, that would be dependent on your company policies. I didn't have enough sick days saved up, but luckily, my employer has a "catastrophic leave bank" that all employees "pay" one sick day into each year and then if an employee needs extended medical leave, they can draw from that bank so long as they qualify via FMLA paperwork.

If you have an employee handbook, I would start there to figure out what you need to do. If your employer has an HR department, that would probably be your next stop.

I'm not telling my boss what I am having done. He only knows that I'm having surgery ... I have told my co worker that I'm having gall bladder removal (yes, I lied).

My company will pay short term disability starting the first day of surgery at 100% of my salary, which is a rare benefit- and one I am grateful for. DH will end up using 5 days of sick leave before short disability kicks in, and once it does it is for 66% of his salary.

I also just said that I was having surgery. Funnily, everyone assumed I was having back surgery because of the pain I was in with all the extra weight, and someone else in the office just had back surgery.

You have every right to your privacy. Be open to the fact that you may change your mind about who you tell what as you go forward. Now that I'm three months post-op, I'm starting to tell a few people in the office who comment on my weight loss and my much improved health and mobility.

I think it's because deep inside I was worried about what they would think, that I was taking "the easy way out" even though I knew it was anything but that. I just didn't feel like having to explain myself when it was taking all my focus to stay on my 3 month pre-op diet. Now that I'm down 55 lbs from my highest weight (six months ago), my confidence has soared and my old, younger attitude of "who gives a crap what anyone thinks" has returned.

Do whatever makes you the most comfortable.