Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The other day after trying to put and tie skates with my kids at the ice rink and failing so hard. Out of breath couldn't lean over for more than 30 seconds....I sat there with tears in my eyes and decided it's time to do something about it. I have tried a million other things and am now heavier than i've ever been. My wife is on board as well now....sort of. but we have some questions...

1. IS the sleeve the best way to go...Or is the band the better way to go. I want to lose 100 lbs.

2. I was thinking about going to Tijuana Mexico and getting it done because it's the cheapest option...Is this a good place to go? I can't afford a 30 k surgery at all.

3. I hear so many people talk about diet for the rest of your life....If that's the case...and you are dieting...why get the surgery? If Diet will work and you'll be dieting anyway...i'm confused about this aspect of it all.

I've never had surgery....and am scared to death of it. But is this the best way to go, if i've tried everything else?

Thanks for all your answers!

J

1. IS the sleeve the best way to go...Or is the band the better way to go. I want to lose 100 lbs.

No one can answer that question for you. It's something you should discuss with your surgeon. There are pros and cons to both options and only you know your life and your situation, so only you can make the right decision for yourself. Sleeve definitely seems to be more common than band in terms of surgeries currently being performed and a lot of surgeons have stopped doing bands altogether, but that doesn't mean it might not still be the right choice for you.

2. I was thinking about going to Tijuana Mexico and getting it done because it's the cheapest option...Is this a good place to go? I can't afford a 30 k surgery at all.

I had my surgery done in TJ with Dr. Ariel Ortiz and it was an incredibly positive experience. There are many excellent surgeons in Mexico. You should do your research and feel free to read and post on the Self-Pay & Mexico sub-forums:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/forum/486-self-pay-mexico-gastric-sleeve-surgery/

3. I hear so many people talk about diet for the rest of your life....If that's the case...and you are dieting...why get the surgery? If Diet will work and you'll be dieting anyway...i'm confused about this aspect of it all.

Any weight loss surgery is just a tool. You still have to make good and responsible food choices and you need to also ensure that you are getting adequate amounts of the Vitamins, minerals, and nutrients you need to live. There is a LOT of emphasis on getting enough Protein post-op, because Protein is vital to your health and, since you can eat less food, you have to make sure it's the right KIND of food. A person who is consuming 3000 calories a day may have no problem getting in 65 grams or more of protein without paying attention. Someone who is only eating 800 calories a day still needs 65 grams of protein. So a much higher percentage of your calories have to come from protein-rich foods. So you still have to have discipline to eat the right things, you just won't need as much discipline to not overeat.

I've never had surgery....and am scared to death of it. But is this the best way to go, if i've tried everything else?

Obviously, most of us here have decided that WLS is our best option, otherwise we wouldn't be here! And if you ask most of us if we have any regrets, the most common answer you'll receive is that we regret not doing it sooner!

Edited by JamieLogical

No one can answer that question for you. It's something you should discuss with your surgeon. There are pros and cons to both options and only you know your life and your situation, so only you can make the right decision for yourself. Sleeve definitely seems to be more common than band in terms of surgeries currently being performed and a lot of surgeons have stopped doing bands altogether, but that doesn't mean it might not still be the right choice for you.

I had my surgery done in TJ with Dr. Ariel Ortiz and it was an incredibly positive experience. There are many excellent surgeons in Mexico. You should do your research and feel free to read and post on the Self-Pay & Mexico sub-forums:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/forum/486-self-pay-mexico-gastric-sleeve-surgery/

Any weight loss surgery is just a tool. You still have to make good and responsible food choices and you need to also ensure that you are getting adequate amounts of the Vitamins, minerals, and nutrients you need to live. There is a LOT of emphasis on getting enough Protein post-op, because Protein is vital to your health and, since you can eat less food, you have to make sure it's the right KIND of food. A person who is consuming 3000 calories a day may have no problem getting in 65 grams or more of protein without paying attention. Someone who is only eating 800 calories a day still needs 65 grams of protein. So a much higher percentage of your calories have to come from protein-rich foods. So you still have to have discipline to eat the right things, you just won't need as much discipline to not overeat.

Obviously, most of us here have decided that WLS is our best option, otherwise we wouldn't be here! And if you ask most of us if we have any regrets, the most common answer you'll receive is that we regret not doing it sooner!

Amazing. Thank you. Definitely going to be doing this. It's time!

Great Questions. Here's my perspective:

I agree that only you can make this decision, however, I can tell you why I chose the sleeve. My main reason was the documented safety of the procedure (it's just as safe as having a gall bladder removed) and the once and done nature of the procedure. Having a port freaked me out and then dealing with periodic fills just wasn't for me. Finally, the biggest reason was that there are a lot of people who have to have the band removed resulting in yet another surgery.

I have no personal experience with this, however, there are a lot of people on this site who do! If you have insurance- many are now covering the procedure so you may want to check with them first.

I think perhaps ""dieting" is a poor choice of words. It is more of a lifestyle change. For many here, including me, losing weight was not really the problem. I like to say that I have lost the equivalent of a small village! Unfortunately, keeping the weight off is a different story. The sleeve is a wonderful tool and helps us be successful.

About fear of surgery: I am personally surgery averse and would never recommend unnecessary surgery to anyone. However, obesity does terrible things to people and shortens their lives. I remember feeling like I was losing my "life force." I don't know how else to say it. But I remember coming to the realization that my life would end badly and I really didn't want that. Going for good health helped me overcome my aversion to surgery. 3 months out fro surgery and down 67 lbs I am very glad I made that choice.

Good Luck to you on your journey. It's not easy and there will be difficulties but it is worth it.

As others have said, that's not a question we can answer. Find a seminar online or in person and get information from actual medical personnel.

Does your insurance not cover this at all? There are many on this forum who have had good experiences with Mexico.

It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change.The surgery is just a starting point but you have to make good food choices. I'm eating pretty much the same things I ate pre surgery but in much smaller portions. The difference is I am completely satisfied. I no longer have a desire or ability to over eat. When I talk about diet now I mean it in terms of the foods I eat.

I understand your confusion! I'd recommend attending a Weight Loss Surgery educational session. I "think" you should be able to find a free one. I did in my area and going to the educational class didn't "tie" me to having to use that clinic or anything else. I also agree with the others. You sill have to use common sense. Eating properly and exercising is necessary and the surgery is just a tool. For me, it makes it less frustrating. Before I'd do these things and feel like I was starving for nothing. (I may have been!) Now I feel full sooner and I actually feel better, sleep better, and as much as I HATE getting up at 4:45 a.m. to work out before work, it's become a habit and once I get on that eliptical trainer, I get caught up in the television show that's on and soon I'm done! And again, I feel so much better! I know nothing about surgeons in Mexico, so I'm of no help to you there! Best of luck to you!

Joshua, welcome. Our opinions don't really count, all we can do is to tell about our own experiences. Surgery is scary because you have to relinquish all control of you life to a stranger. I am chosing the sleeve because I don't want anyone messing with my guts! Good luck, guy, and you've made a good decision for yourself. You'll get a lot of support here.