Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Appointments Appointments

I am a little nervous today. I started my journey on January 13, 2015. My first appointment being with the surgeon, then on to the upper GI, blood work, and an ultrasound of liver and gall bladder. I didn't need the sleep study because i already have sleep apnea and sleep with my handy dandy darth Vader Machine. Two weeks ago i met with my bariatric doctor and the nutritionist, I got the green light from the doctor but the nutritionist wanted me to try losing some weight by giving up soda and supplimenting my Breakfast with a Protein shaake. I am neverous I will admit! I have for the most part followed her directions but don't think I have lost any weight. I am nervous because she told me she could hold up the process to surgery if she wanted to. I don't have weight restrictions for my insurance. My question I have is, has anyone had to deal with the nutrionist holding the surgery off for long if there isnt weight loss before surgery? My surgeon said as long as all goes well the approval process with my insurance would take a couple weeks and he would say probably looking at end of March for surgery. Well I'm off to my appointment with the psychologist this morning and the nutrionist this afternoon. I am praying there is some loss on that scale today.

I've never heard of a nutritionist holding this over your head as such (if this is the case), but they can indeed hold up the process if they feel that you are not someone who they think will take the weight loss process seriously. In my situation, my nutritionist was much more concerned with building a good relationship and information exchange to make my weight loss journey a really successful one. Based on my goals and my lifestyle, she comes up with all sorts of different ideas to keep me motivated now that I have finally reached maintenance mode. Also (with our permission, of course), she shares her ideas along with ideas from other clients, to keep us all going well.

I think if you just try to follow instruction, you should be fine. After surgery, you can always see a different one if you so choose.

Wish you the best success!!!

I've read on here a couple people had issues with their nutritionist.. They were seeing a well balance diet kind versus someone that works strictly with bariatrics. I'm not sure what the outcome was. I agree with the above post, follow instructions and do the best you can do.

I'd like to know how your appointment went with the NUT today. hope you update.

Best wishes

Edited by AhnaLucille

Our program here you must lose approx 10% of your initial weight to show that you are serious and capable of being successful after surgery.

When you say you have followed her directions "for the most part" what does that mean? If you don't think you lost weight, why is that? I suspect she is seeing whether you can be compliant post op. If you have trouble now the worst that happens is you don't lose weight. Post op that changes. If you aren't compliant you can do serious damage.

It's good that you are having your psych appt since some of the issues that are typically focused on are whether you understand that WLS is only a tool and whether you have a good idea of what post op will require of you.

I don't know that the nut can prevent your surgery but I can imagine the concern if you followed the diet "for the most part" only. Why is that? Your having body altering surgery and its for life. There's a lot at stake.

I do realize that WLS is just a tool and I will have to make a lot of changes in the way I eat and the amount of exercise I will have to do. I have never thought of this as an easy way out i know it requires work. My nutrionist basically is prepping me to learn to eat now the way I will after surgery. I understand that. What i meant by "for the most part" was in the 2 wks since i have seen her I have made changes but there were a couple times I didn't do exactly as told. Meaning: she suggested i give up soda and juice, start eating my Protein first at meals, with my long 2 hr commute to work each way she suggested I stop going to fast food to eat on the run and instead replace breakfast with a Protein Shake and a banana and since some nights I don't even walk in the door at home until 8pm, she suggested I prep meals ahead and bring them with me to eat on my ride home if I need to. This was not hard to follow just trying to make it a habit. So where I messed up was when I had the 24hr flu I did drink ginger ale and juice that day. There were a couple days I was not scheduled to work late and was held over so I didn't eat dinner until I got home, but for the most part I followed her suggestions. As for weight loss it has only been 2 wks I am not sure if I lost anything or not. So im just nervous because I don't want her to think I am not following or trying to make these changes.

I will update after my appointments for those who are interested. Thank you all for your responses.

Well pschyologist appointment went well. She thinks i will be very successful with the sleeve procedure. I am off to get my EKG done and then meet with nutritionist in an hour

Funny I had opposite, the psychologist thought I'm a emotional eater and need to develop skills to deal with this, and the nutritionist thought I'm perfect candidate and would do fine with surgery. I just hope psych evaluation doesn't hold up my surgery.

Okay..my appointments are over! For today lol..... lost 2lbs!!! I'M CLEARED FOR SURGERY! !!!! Im so excited to start this journey. Now on to waiting for approval from the insurance.

Congratulations! Best wishes for speedy insurance approval. It shouldn't be long before you are looking to schedule your surgery ????