Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 2/19/07 Unbanded 3/2/07 try again?

Do I go for it one more time????? Here goes......I was banded on Feb 19, 2007 at Kansas University Med Ctr in Kansas City, by Dr. Selim. My stomach was lacerated (accident) during surgery. I was irragated, patched up, and the band placed. Left bottom lobe of lung collapsed the next day. Stayed in the hospital from Monday to Thursday. They tried to send me home Wednesday but I took my own temp and found that I had a fever. They kept me one more night and I went 24hrs without fever, home on Thursday. Sunday started chilling and fever. Monday night went to ER in Springfield, MO. Spent the entire night there doing ct scans and tests. I read, later, in those notes that they believed I had damage to my spleen, as well. They offered me an ambulance to KC but we chose to drive the 4hrs.

Spent one week waiting, waiting, waiting. I think the docs were thinking that it was pneumonia from my lung problem. When doctor decided to take out band I was in surgery in less than an hour. I was supposed to have my port when I woke up BUT...I didn't know I'd wake up in ICU with tubes going up my nose, down into my stomach, two drain tubes coming out of the left side of me, and a large open wound where the port had to be taken out.

I had two types of strep infections and the worst staph infection you can get. I spent another week in hospital and before sending me home they put an IV Pick line in my left arm so that I could change my antibiotic IV bag every 24hrs. They arranged for a home nurse who came to see me 1x's per week for 2 wks. They showed me how to change the packing in my 2" long 1.5" deep open wound. Thank God my neighbor is my primary physician and my friend!!! She came over 2x's per day and changed it for me until it got to a depth and size that I was comfortable to do it myself (about 1.5 months).

I missed 5 weeks of work and I had only taken 1 week off, for my outpatient surgery!! I had air around my diaphragm for weeks that was sooooooooo painful I was on Oxycodone for a long time. The doc that did my band, had my primary order a CT scan and to this day, about 7wks later, HE hasn't made sure that I have the results!! Luckily, my primary is my friend!!! She let me know that the pain was the air and she started me on the pain therapy that I needed to start feeling better and getting me back to work!!

So May 19th was 3 months from the band application and it was the last day that I felt the air bubbles in my back around my left lung!!! I've been off of pain meds for a few weeks now and I'm finally starting to feel like normal again. The infectious disease doctors said that the germs that came out of my stomach, when it was accidently lacerated, is what probably caused the infections around my band, then all the way down the tube and around the port.

Here's what I'm thinking and most of my friends think I'm totally insane!! I want to go back, to the same doctor, and have the band put on again. My husband doesn't want me to go to the same doctor. I am a forgiving person and I also know that accidents happen and what happened to me was just a FREAK SERIES OF EVENTS!!!! I also think that if I use the same hospital and the same doctor, that I would probably get extra special treatment and they would really take care to do a really good job. My doctor specializes in the liver and a transplant doctor for crying out loud, it's not like I'm seeing a student!!! He's done thousands of bands and this was the first time anything like this has happened to him. You should have seen the devestation on his face after the second, much longer, surgery!!! You can't fake that! My kids are 16, 13, 11, and 6. The 6 year old doesn't want me to do it again because I was "gone too long". I'm thinking of bringing him this time and I'm planning on walking out of the hospital the same day, this time!!!

So what do you all think??????????????????

Carrie

Banded 2-19-07

UnBanded 3-2-07

Lost 22 pounds and holding now

See doctor again 6-7-07

Try again????????????

Well... it kind of sounds to me like you go most of the care you needed form your primary doctor, who also happens to be your friend and neighbor, like getting the results of your scan when you were in pain. Rather than the actual mistake he made, it's how he handled the after care that would make me think twice about it.

Will the Dr. who did the first surgery give you the second one as a "freebie" or will it all be covered by insurance no matter who does the procedure? There is an excellent Dr. (Chris Edwards) right in Springfield at St. John's who has a great reputation and has done many, many of these surgeries (he did mine). It might be worth a check.

I totally understand not giving up because of your unfortunate problems the first time around. In fact, I applaud your tenacity!

Wow, Carrie, I really admire you. Honestly, I'd like to think I'd have the same attitude you do, but I'd probably just be scared to try again. Not that I'd blame the doctor--honest mistakes do happen and I'm not one to get all up in arms about it--but I'd be gunshy anyway. If you're not, I say go for it!! You have wonderful support in your primary doctor, which counts for a lot. What does she say you should do?

I would wait at least another 6 months before making a decison. Your body needs more healing.

I would wait at least another 6 months before making a decison. Your body needs more healing.

I agree that I'd wait a few months before coming to a decision, but, at that point, if I still wanted some type of bypass surgery, I'd say no, I'm not having a band again, and look at my other options.

I was wondering just how long to wait to heal?! 3 months isn't long enough?? My doctor wanted to put the band back on 5 weeks after taking it off! At five weeks post-2nd-op, I was still on serious pain meds, and anti depression meds, having problems with bowels, yeast, and I'd just gone back to work! My primary doctors NURSE told me not to do the band again and go for a gastric bypass!!

My husband is so angry with my "after care" from my surgeon that he says he doesn't know if he'd be able to go with me if I let Dr. Selim do it again. It's not because he doesn't want me to have surgery, it's because he doesn't even want to see the doctors face again!!

What I'm hearing is; Wait longer (I so don't want to!LOL But, will if it's best for my body). Have the bypass instead of a band, and change doctors!! I have BC/BS Federal and St. Johns won't take it anymore BUT my insurance will pay a % after, when I file. I may look into that doctor in Springfield although after this mess, I'm kinda out of ALOT of money!LOL If I let the same doctor do a retry, it will be a "freebie", I'm sure. I also think I'll look into the University of Missouri and a gastric bypass.

You have all been so helpful and encouraging!! I have much to think and pray about now! What do you all think about the bypass???? My mom had a mini-gastric bypass. I didn't want something so invasive and she has gas and diarrhea all the time!! She is too smelly to be around sometimes!! I really think it's because she doesn't eat right, though!! Do people that are banded have that problem?? My husband is not for bypass! Too serious of a surgery and too permanant, he says. I want something permanant!

Carrie

I think I would be in contact with my lawyer first. Then go see another surgeon. Good luck with your decision.

Carrie,

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation, and wouldn't know what to do in the situation myself, but I think I'd be uncomfortable with the same surgeon doing the surgery again. I would sit down with the surgeon and ask if he could recommend another surgeon to do the second surgery, and have the first surgeon pay for it.

He probably realizes that he can get sued, even if it was an accident, and they do happen, but you need to feel comfortable with your decision, as does your family and husband. Your DH probably is not comfortable with the surgeon due to the fact that he could of lost you in the extreme events following surgery. I'm sure any DH would feel this way. You need his support in this, and if that means seeing another surgeon, then I'd start looking for someone else.

You shouldn't feel pressured to make and decisions right now. I would wait to give you body time to heal, and think about it. The surgery will always be there for you, but you need to make sure you'll be there for the surgery.

Lynette

Thanks EVERYONE for your thoughts. It's the first time I've really had time to think about things with the help of people who can relate (sort of!!LOL) I've been researching the Mini Gastric Bypass this week. It's reversible, the whole reason I chose the band. What do you think about this bypass???

By the way, my husband is "all about" the lawyer thing!!

I've never heard of the mini gastric bypass, I need to research this one. I understand your reasons for wanting to return to the surgeon, but I do not agree with your thought process on this one. Because this upsets your family so much to return to this surgeon, I would consider going to another surgeon who has an excellent after care program. You and your family have gone through enough, I'm sure the thought of losing you is in the back of their minds. Go somewhere else, Please!

To sue the surgeon you would have to prove that he was neglegent. You also probably signed a release stating that you KNEW of all of the complications that could arise from having this surgery. I am NOT saying that the doctor is not negligent, so please, no one jump down my throat. I am just saying that you would have to prove that. I am proud to say I know someone who is NOT about suing when something goes wrong medically. That is a BIG statement in this day and age. Gosh, just think of all of the people who used to "get bled" when they had something wrong and died. You are one heck of a woman in my eyes to be able to even "think" of getting rebanded let alone with the same surgeon. You are courageous!!!! Good luck, and please let us all know what you decide to do in the future. Deanna

I would give it at least 3 months of feeling "normal".

Then I woudl sit down with my PCP and my spouse and have an open discussion, all three of you.

And if they all agree to reband but havce issues with the surgeon then I suggest you consider yourself thankful that they are OKing the band after all that happened and not insist on the surgeon of your choice. There is no guarantee that the surgeon would even consent to take you again as a patient.

Regarding the mini gastric bypass (MGB), I've heard that this is an outdated procedure, and that there is really only one surgeon doing it, but he advertises heavily. You've seen the results your mother has had.

The other procedure I've been hearing a lot about is the verticle sleeve gastrectomy (VSG).