Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery around the holidays

I am having the Gastric Sleeve on Dec. 30th!! Excited, but nervous too!!! Veteran sleevers - How did you cope with the surgery pre-jitters feelings??? Any advice?? I also Celebrate Christmas, and my parents and extended family live in NY. I live in MA with my boyfriend of almost 8 years, who is very supportive of me and my decision, but we are going down to MY parents for Christmas on 12/23, then leaving on 12/26, and heading to HIS parent's house the next day,12/27, since their celebration is never on Christmas day, usually one or two days after!!! I have 1 day at home, then I leave for Boston on 12/29!!! Has anyone else had surgery around the holidays before?? If so, how did you deal with that?? I will be toasting the New Year at Boston Medical Center with my 1 fl. oz. medicine cup of Water, lol!!! Any advice or personal experiences anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated!!! I come from a big, Italian family that likes their food, and John's mom is a really good cook!!! HELP, please!!!

My surgery was 12/23/2013 (almost a year ago). I was discharged on Christmas day. We had our company the week-end after New Years. My grandkids did not mind. The way the family is spread out between inlaws and extended family, it was their third celebration around a tree. We had it mid afternoon, and everyone knew not to expect food, although we had beverages available. That last week before surgery flew by.

Pre surgery jitters? Truthfully, I convinced myself that nothing out of the ordinary was going to happen. Every time I started thinking about surgery and became nervous, I remembered Scarlett Ohara and her way of dealing with problems. She said, "I'll deal with that another day."

And that's what I did, I pretended it was just another day. Right up till they wheeled me into the OR. I lay there and pretended that I was hanging out with my friends... just another day.

My surgery is scheduled on December 29th I am having a lap band to sleeve conversion. It's good to see someone thats having a surgery around the same time could you share with me what you are doing for the pre surgery? My surgeon does not have me on a liquid diet or anything like that before my surgery. I did not have to be on a liquid diet for the band either. I noticed that everyone is on some type of a diet. What is the reasoning behind it and why the heck am I not on one?

Having my surgery on 12/23 2days away! Just got fully prepared today. My family is 500 hundred miles away and broke up with my boyfriend 4 months ago. So at first was feeling scared anxious but now I feel great. Just think... Its going to be an amazing 2015!!

Tips I've learned to prepare for surgery date:

Overnight bag:

ChapStick/lotion

Loose fitting clothing (I'm wearing medical scrubs found them for 4.99 a piece a few miles from my house.

Cell/tablet don't forget to pack your chargers!

Comfy slippers

Breath spray

Room spray in case you get gassy and don't want to be embarrassed when people come in your room

Favorite pillow. Great to put on your abdomen for your car ride home from the hospital!

Perhaps a loose light jacket/robe in case it gets cold

Your going to do great!!!

Edited by smpgastric

Just had my surgery. How did yours go?

Mine went great! I'm concerned that your not on a strict diet after surgery. It is pretty critical for proper healing and prevention of keeping your new stomach from stretching. My doctor is one of the best in the country. I would be happy to email you my instructions (from him) on what exactly to do after surgery. Of course I recommend clearing it with your doctor first but he has an excellent success rate with his aftercare/meal plan instructions.

If you don't want to post your main email on the forum maybe just create a new free pop account @ gmail/yahoo/etc. JUST for weight loss advice.

But in general (without the specifics)

0-3 days after surgery clear liquid diet

4-14 days full liquid diet

15 days-6 weeks soft and blended diet

6 weeks- 6months restricted solid foods

6months-life unrestricted diet (with recomendations of course)

Always eat your Protein FIRST

Don't drink 30minutes before or 30 after you eat. This allows you to keep food in your stomach longer ie making you feel fuller sooner. Drinking while you eat means flushing the food out your stomach so your brain tells you need to keep eating.

Hope this helps!

Feel free to contact at sleevesuccess@gmail.com

Mine went great! I'm concerned that your not on a strict diet after surgery. It is pretty critical for proper healing and prevention of keeping your new stomach from stretching. My doctor is one of the best in the country. I would be happy to email you my instructions (from him) on what exactly to do after surgery. Of course I recommend clearing it with your doctor first but he has an excellent success rate with his aftercare/meal plan instructions.

If you don't want to post your main email on the forum maybe just create a new free pop account @ gmail/yahoo/etc. JUST for weight loss advice.

But in general (without the specifics)

0-3 days after surgery clear liquid diet

4-14 days full liquid diet

15 days-6 weeks soft and blended diet

6 weeks- 6months restricted solid foods

6months-life unrestricted diet (with recomendations of course)

Always eat your Protein FIRST

Don't drink 30minutes before or 30 after you eat. This allows you to keep food in your stomach longer ie making you feel fuller sooner. Drinking while you eat means flushing the food out your stomach so your brain tells you need to keep eating.

Hope this helps!

Feel free to contact at sleevesuccess@gmail.com

@@smpgastric I'd personally love to know what your doc recommends....

My email is mamamia1621@gmail.com

I too am going to have surgery around the holidays... in November. I have been working on losing weight to reach a safe BMI for surgery since the end of February. The surgeon I am seeing requires that you have a BMI of 35-45 before having surgery, so I had to lose 37 pounds before reaching that BMI. But I am here now. I am worried with my surgery being around the holidays because of the hectic pace and busyness of the season.

Worry not! I had my surgery on Dec. 23 (2014) and spent the holiday recovering in a different city than my family with a few college friends checking in on me. I was SO scared and nervous. Now 10 months later and 80 pounds lighter it was the best decision I ever made. Be strong.. you've got this! You're going to do great!

I had my surgery 11-19-13 about a week before thanksgiving. It was fine. I didn't want to eat the food around me but the smells made me nauseous. We're a bicultural family so my kids wanted mommy's food not the in-laws cooking. I cooked a full southern style meal right after surgery with the help of my kids. I didn't have the desire to eat but I was pretty nauseous from the smells and really tired. You'll be fine. I took my Protein Shakes and pudding with me to the family function and had no problem. Are you telling your family about your surgery? If so, it's easy. No trying to blend just do what's right and everyone gets it. If not, that's an area I have no clue about. Good luck on your journey!

Lynziv

Toy understanding the pre-opt diet for the gastric sleeve is to help shrink the liver. They have to move the liver during surgery, and the smaller it is the better. It decreases the risk of having to go laparoscopically to full midsection incision. With you having the lap band already, maybe they felt your liver wouldn't be as fatty.

I had mine 12-3-15...I thought it'd be nice to have my last meal be thanksgiving...except I didn't consider the preop diet! Lol it was truly tough to go all the major holidays without getting anything but shakes! However, it was great getting to be home the whole month (my dr gave me 2 weeks and then my work vacation started since I work for a school) I don't know how people go back so soon!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App