Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

/waves hello

Guest Cissylea

Guest Cissylea

:cool: Just wanted to pop my head in and say hello....

I'm new to the boards, new to the world of lap banding and excited about the journey ahead of me.

Now that I've decided to have lap banding, I'm deep into research for a doctor. I'm going to have to pay for the surgery myself, so I will probably have it done in Mexico.

I'm open to all suggestions and information that anyone would like to give me..... right now I'm a big ol sponge ready to sop up all the information I can get.

Again.... hello to you all.... and thanks for the great posts I've already read.

Cissylea

Welcome to the board, CissyLea!! Please do read all you can. There are some great posts both here and other places online. The one bit of advice I can give you is please do not only seek the cheapest and whatever you do, have your follow up care ready and waiting BEFORE you are banded. This is so important. Do not wait, hoping you can find someone later.

I wish you great success on your journey!

Guest Cissylea

Thanks for the posts.

Anyone have doctors they recommend in Mexico and/or.... any I should stay away from?

Cissylea

Thanks for the posts.

Anyone have doctors they recommend in Mexico and/or.... any I should stay away from?

Cissylea

Cissylea: Here is a couple of docs in Mexico I would steer clear of. Understand this is a suggestion strictly based on my own experience with one of them and what I have heard and read on the other.

Dr. Juan Lopez Corvala (aka Dr. Lopez): Although he did do my surgery and several others on this board and I was pleased initially, his after care is practically nonexistent. If you have your aftercare set up then I would suggest taking a LOOK at him. He is very personable and appears to be caring but when it comes to complications after the band is placed then that is where the inconsideration, not returning phone calls, giving information that turns out to not be true, his staff shields him from emergency calls, his staff barely speaks or understands english, his staff is rude and will ignore you, has gone through two assistants in the time frame of 4 months, the list could go on and on. I am sure others can fill in their experience with Lopez.

I had my surgery at a place called Sanoviv Medical Institute with Lopez. (www.sanoviv.com) There are much cheaper facilities that offer the surgery. I chose this facility cause it came highly recommended by a close friend of mine. I was there for a week and loved it. Of course it is expensive to stay there for that long. You can elect to have the surgery there and then only stay for one or two nights then go home. THat would be cheaper. Or there are other facilities in Tijuana as well that are just a good a place to have the surgery. Others can fill you in on those places. I don't remember their names.

Dr. jaime Ponce de leon: Works with www.ObesityGoodbye.com clinic and the www.Bajanor.com clinic who set up his surgeries. He or his staff has been misleading his patients in that he claims to be placing INAMED LAPBANDS when in fact Inamed is no longer supplying Dr. jaime Ponce de leon with LAPBANDS. He will place the Swedish Band which is not FDA approved in the US although it is in trials here now. So it is best to ask the surgeon and staff to show you the band that will be placed inside you. Most reputible surgeons will do that without you asking. Also ask to get the box it came shipped in. Ask if it is the LAPBAND or the SWEDISH band. His partner

Dr. Sergio verboonen has been arrested in connection with Health Care Fraud.

Dr. Jaime ponce de leon should NOT be confused with the Dr. Jaime Ponce that works out of Georgia and has a GREAT reputation.

Some Docs to look into:

Dr. Kuri in Mexico

Dr. Ortiz in Mexico

Dr. Billy in Ventura, CA

I am sure there are others that people will chime in and report on.

Hope this has helped.

Hi

I would reccomend our doctor. Dr. Sanchez is in Monterrey MX. He is a great doc and has a great staff. We just had surgery Oct 4th and we are doing great. He also uses a very nice hospital.

This is a web site we are working on about our process with the band. Dr. Sanchez Link is on it.

My wife and I have lost 40lbs together in less than 2 weeks.

http://www.arkwebshost.com/family/debmo/

I went to Dr. Rumbaut in Monterrey MX, and have my fills done by Dr. Kuri in Tijuana. Dr. Rumbaut and all of his staff were completely amazing and I can't recommend him highly enough. I only saw Dr. Kuri for about 10 minutes when he did my fill, but he also was super nice, and the other ladies there who were under his care were in love with him.

Let us know if you have any more questions :)

Guest Cissylea

Thanks for all of the advise. I'm still reading about the different doctors and contacting their offices for information.

I did receive an email on Friday from a patient consultant for Dr. Kuri, then yesterday she called and answered a lot of my questions. She was very nice and I thought that was a nice touch and good patient PR.

Cissylea