Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

We did a grocery store tour last night as part of our required tasks before surgery, and the dietitian showed us the the nuval scoring shown on various products. We were at king Soopers. Companies have their products evaluated for nutritional value by this company. The are not allowed to pay for a high score, so it is unbiased. It ranks the products 0-100. The closer to 100 the better. Surprisingly most yogurts (except plain yogurt) only ranks 25-39, which is bad. This is a great way of shopping for better products. Has anyone else seen this?

No, I haven't but I would love to hear more about this

bobbyswife, on the shelves price labels there will be a hexagon shaped symbol with a number in it. This is the nuval number. It takes into account all components of the product to determine if it is a healthy choice. the closer to 100.

he higher the number the better. On the label there will be two small hexagons that have nuval and a number inside. Sometimes just the number. As I stated, yogurt typically does not rank high except for plain yogurt. She told us to cut the plain with fruits or our own sweetners, that way it is much better than when companies do it. My partner loves raisin bran. It is about a 20 because they coat the raisins with sugar to keep the moisture from ruining the bran flakes. She said buy plain bran flakes and add your own raisins.

Here is the link to learn more.

http://www.nuval.com/

Thank you! This is great info!

My nutritionist also told me that frozen veggies are the same or sometimes more nutritious than fresh veggies. This is because the companies flash freeze them at the peak of ripeness. This works great for me because I have a 6 member family and it is much more convenient to buy large quantities of things that keep well in freezer.

@hikergirl: Thanks for the heads-up on the Nuval score. I'll def keep my eyes open and purchase accordingly.

This is interesting. I'm going to be on lookout for this.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches