Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 days post op, trouble keeping fluids down..

Hi. I was sleeved last Thursday. I got home yesterday but I'm having trouble with fluids. Seems like everything I drink is so hard because I instantly get nauseous and it feels like it wants to come up until I burp a little bit which has also been tough. Any suggestions or help with nausea or getting fluids down? I am walking as much as I can and that does promote some burping but not enough I guess as still a battle to get even a few sips down.

please call your surgeon and ask for an anti-nausea med. i'm reading that this is a common thing post op.

@@nprcowboy Did your surgeon give you anything for nausea? If not maybe you should ask him/her. My surgeon gave me a prescription for zofran and a strong anti acid prescription I haven't been sick yet at all.

No he didn't give me anything for nausea. They were injecting Zofran up until prior to discharge yesterday but sent me home with nothing. I even asked discharge nurse about something for nausea but she just said they didn't prescribe anything. I left a message a bit ago with one of their incompetent staff to let the surgeon know of my issue. Would not recommend using this place. Unfortunately my wife has her surgery there in 3 weeks. Was outright dangerous staying in that hospital. It's a teaching hospital but they had some young nurses attending me where for instance one had to read the instructions on how to use the thermometer, another didn't know how to secure my Foley/catheter Andy wife who is a nurse had to show her how to use the sticker with the clip. Another was giving me pills to swallow 1 day post op. I could go on and on. Another I told I needed help cleaning myself and they just stood there dumbfounded then finally aided but did a very poor job. I even mentioned it and they said it's all good. So they let me stew in myself etc.... Just a nightmare. At least when my wife saw first hand that even substandard care she stayed overnight a couple of times. Just a nightmare there.

oh my lord, @@nprcowboy! what an ordeal! maybe your PCP can prescribe you something instead?

@@nprcowboy Yuck! Don't you as a patient have the right to refuse to have students? I know that sounds harsh I had some too last week but I didn't mind because I had to be the student Once too. In fact like your wife I was "teaching" my students what to do too (but I enjoy that kind of thing) you or your wife have a reason to not want students and coming from an ex student it won't be the first or last time you are told a patient wants an experienced staff taking care of them. I don't know why they didn't send you home with a anti nausea medication (maybe that's not a routine order from your surgeon) but I would surely ask/demand something.

I forgot to ask for a nausea med after surgery so I just picked up some dramamine on the way home. I took it only a few times when I needed it, but it seemed to have worked. The regular strength works for 8 hours and they have a new brand that works 24 hours. The generic name is dimenhydrinate. Ginger root capsules are more natural and work just as well. The Dramamine will make you very sleepy unless you get the less drowsy kind. Another similar one is Meclizine (also known as Antivertand Dramamine II), which is prescribed by doctors but also available over the counter.

I agree with taking something for reflux, and try changing the temperature of the Water you're drinking. Add something to it like crystal lite or some G2. If it's plain water, the surface tension of the water is intolerable to some. Additives change the tension, and a temperature variance may also help. Hope you feel better soon, and I really hate that you dealt with incompetence at the hospital.

Was anyone else prescribed Lovenox injections 40 mg twice daily for 14 days post-op? I have no history of coagulation disorders or blood clots, so I was wondering if this was normal?

@@Hertz Nope but I was given my injections daily in the hospital.

battle to get few sips down.

@@nprcowboy

what a bummer :angry:

it is terrible that that you had such poor treatment :angry:

since you didn't say otherwise

you were satisfied with the docs performance??

tell your doc your bad experince at the hospital

maybe he can do WLS at a different hospital??

docs frequently have privileges at other hospitals too

i was supposed to have WLS at one hospital

my epilepsy is totally controlled with meds

but a couple of weeks prior to surgery

doc decided to perform surgery at a "more equipped/better/newer" hospital

"just" in case a problem occurred

no probs for me :)

doc figured better safe than sorry - thats ok with me

staff and doc were great

ask doc about changing hospitals

you were so uncomfortable at your hospital :(

staff and all

you want better care for your wife :)

hope your wifey has a better experience at the hospital

good for you that you are walking, walking a bit

will help get rid of any gas you might have PO

this is good, keeps your strength up etc

at 4 days PO, your problems with drinking/nausea are common

these problems should gradually get better

hopefully sooner than later :unsure:

hope wifey has a better hospital experience

speedy recovery :)

good luck

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

Surgeons were pretty good. Their staff at their office who run the bariatric program are not very good and even if u have an issue only number they give u is main number for the whole program so most times you are on indefinite hold. Should at least have number for post op care. So hard to reach someone to leave message for the surgeon. And as stated the hospital is not very good as they rely on textbook nurses who are furthering their degrees beyond a BSN but was evident that these 4 year degree clinical nurses had no life experience and scary the incompetence a few had to the point I almost wanted to discharge myself. There were pockets of good nurses too. Heck the first night after surgery took 3 hours for them to "make up my room" so was stuck in a holding area and then stuck me in what they called, the overflow ward. As they were overbooked. This was scary too as I supposed to be in the specialized barbaric section. My wife was a good advocate for on that. At 3am after enough complaining they moved us to a private room in the bariatric ward. That room too over 3 hours to make up supposedly. My wife who is a nurse read between the lines and asked questions and found out it was taking so long because my room they were putting me in had mersa. So that made it extra scary.

3 hours to "make up my room" was stuck in a holding area and then stuck me in , the overflow ward.

@@nprcowboy

OMG!!!

even worse than i thought it was

definitely talk to your surgeon

i would reallllly complain to the hospital

write a letter telling what happened

your bad experience

find out an OFFICIAL name/person at the hospital to send it to

this probably won't do much or any good

good for the sole ;) to put it all out there!!!

more importantly really complain to doc

say how awful it was

if wifey can't have surgery at diff hospital

it is more possible that with the docs input - the staff will work better for you two

hope good happens from your bad situation

"maybe" things will improve for people to follow

hope you start to feel better soon

Water et al

good luck

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

I am also having issues, I had some stomach acid leak into my abdominal cavity.

Doc cleaned me out the best he could; I still wretched and heaved for two days. I think

the pain pump contributed as well. You can try emmetrol that helped me until I got my Zofran.

The shots in the stomach are to help prevent clots with are common; they sent me home with

leg cuffs and a drain too. So I am 4 days out also and just sipping as much as I can its

really hard but they told me hydration was way more important in the first days.

Yeah. I was doing well today with fluids was ahead of goal pace and then hit a wall a few hours ago and I can't even get Water down. Lille 2 ounces in part 3 hours. Everything wants to feel like it wants to come up. I even took a recommendation and made my sips smaller and slower but that hasn't worked.