Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay I tend to be a worry wart, but I had the sensation today after eating that I had eaten one too many bites. It's my first day on soft foods and I had 4 bites of eggs salad. I felt uncomfortable and mouth started watering like I might throw up. I didn't. I starting walking hoping the feeling would ease. Anyway, I have had two minor little lightening pops on my left side. Of course I immediately thought staple! How would I know if a staple popped open? I guess I need some reassurance. Thanks!

If you caused a staple to pop, I believe you would be in immediate pain. The Water filling your mouth is called slime-ing. It happens when your sleeve doesn't agree with a food or you haven't eaten slow enough. I haven't experienced this myself but I've done a lot of research of the food stages and food aversions. I'm not sure if the popping sound was maybe gas or something. If you start to have really bad pain or continue to slime, I would contact your healthcare team.

You most likely popped a stitch in your stomach. I feel like you would be able to feel that a lot more readily than you would feel a staple pop in your stomach. Your stomach should produce pain, if it did at all, more medially. An incision on my left side hurt a few times and it was just the incision in my stomach. I'm 13 months out and never had any issue with stomach leaking. Also, your staples are in rows, so if for some reason you pop one, there are two others along the same line backing it up. Also, your actual stomach heals quickly, so since you're in the soft food stage, you've probably come far enough where the stomach has healed at least partially into its new shape and it would take a lot to really rip it open at all.

Also, that fun sliming feeling happens when you eat food that your stomach doesn't like. My sleeve still does that and for me, the only way to make it stop is to just barf, which doesn't require any help from me...I open my mouth over the garbage and it all comes spewing out covered in goop. It's really very sexy, lol. You learn what you can and can't eat. If you had egg salad it was likely the mayo that caused it, or at least that's what would be the issue for me. Some people have a lower tolerance of eggs as well, so that may be your issue.

Edited by AvaFern

I slimed once about two months post op. After allowing myself to become ravenous, by not eating for over 5 hours, in desperation I stopped and bought a rotisserie chicken. Returned to my car, forgot I had gastric sleeve surgery, and begun scarfing down pieces of chicken breast. Well, I'll leave out the fascinating details, that includes me wasting perfectly good rotisserie chicken, in my car, in a grocery bag! Anyways, after my lesson, I've decided NEVER to slime again, hopefully......

It was prob the stitch that was used to close your large incision. They normally use the dissolving kind so it's meant to pop eventually.

If you are worried or if there is pain you should call your doc.

@@AvaFern, you always give such well-informed, accurate and thoughtful responses to posts. If no one has ever told you, thanks so much. You are appreciated. =)

Thank you all so much! I appreciate your responses to my concern. I am such a newbie and it helps so much to hear from you all that are further along in the journey! Blessings!

@BitterSweet* Thank-you so much for your kind post! That made my day! :)

You over ate a bit which will cause "foamies" and general discomfort. Since the "pop" didn't come with excruciating pain, it's likely just part of the healing process, dissolvable stitches dissolving, scar tissue working its way out, swelling going down, etc. but if any of that comes with pain, call the Doc! Sounds like you just ran up against the limits of your sleeve. Take note and stop eating sooner next time!