Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So my boss made the November work schedule and listed me as fmla for a week instead of just time off. I sent her a nice email asking her to change the description. Even though it is fmla I have not told many co workers. I got a lot of questions that I was not ready to talk about. My boss was very apologetic and changed it but I was still a little miffed that she would break a privacy policy. Especially since I work at a hospital and privacy is a huge issue all the time. Anyone else have a similar problem?

I was pretty open with everyone about what I was doing. It was nice because it kept me accountable. I can understand your frustration though. If it was not something you expressly asked her to do, perhaps it was just an oversight. She was probably not intending to out your information and writing that you were out for FMLA just a standard procedure.

If you had asked her not to and she did, it is a completely different story. I would be miffed too. However, at this point all you can do is move on and focus on the surgery ahead. I know how people love to talk in a hospital. I work in one too, but just try to let everyone know you are fine and its none of their business. I know this is easier said than done, but this close to surgery, you need to not let people get you too riled up and focus on preparing yourself for the journey of a lifetime.

It does suck when you don't want your information to get out there and it does. I am sorry that this happened to you. I hope it all works out and you have some amazing success!

It's fmla and should not have been disclosed to the whole dept. what if someone was having a more personal issue. Hysterectomy or such. Would you want the whole department you work with asking why you are taking time off? No. It's protected personal information.

Good morning Micmt. You are absolutely right. However, I agree with Jonathan. Let's focus in our surgery and the journey forward. If you decide to file a complaint you will still be within your time limits to do it after you've completed your surgery. Who knows you maybe so excited and content after the surgery and forget it. If not, then you could still file. Just a thought.......

Oh I'm not going to file a complaint. I was just venting on here. My director was kind enough to change it after I pointed it out to her. She was very understanding once she realized I had not told anyone, even though she should have kept it confidential to begin with.

I just thought it would be a good topic to discuss other people's experiences with breaches of privacy. What the law allows if one wants to keep wls private and how to remedy the situations.

Well I'll vent. I'm a Chaplain at a resume mission. I've told the Executive Director about my surgery. I'll be out the month of November. Yesterday an "intern" approaches me and says,"I hear that you'll be out the whole month of November. What's it a medical issue with your weight?" I just stated in a solemn tone that it was personal. It bothered me most of the day, but what could I do?

My FMLA shows up as FMLA - that's the standard at my work if you're using FMLA... mainly because it keeps people from going to the boss to complain when they're working extra to cover whoever is out.

FMLA says they had to let me off; therefore...

That said, EVERYONE at my work knows exactly what I'm having done. They have told me I am going to be a drug lord, get killed, lose my kidneys... and then they want to know what the diet is; what kind of Protein drink I'm drinking tonight. I love my coworkers. :)

I told them because they would have known anyway, and because they will help me be accountable to myself... and not bring cake on my Birthday and get offended because I have a bite instead of a chunk.