Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do folks handle binge eating disorder after wls?

I am waiting for a date for my wls which wioll be The Vertical Sleeve gastrectomy but am concerned anout emotional eating...any suggestioons?

This book helped me: Emotional First + Aid Kit (bariatric surgery) by Cynthia Alexander

Also, the new psychiatrist's D.S.M. manual has a category now for binge eating. There is medication that might help.

I read the book also........and it really helped me. The catch is that you must apply what you learn.

I also was in regular attendance at support groups before my surgery. Its great to ask all these questions of real life people who have been where you are. They will give you real life strategies to be successful. One of your goals should be to learn/practice the lifestyle before you have the surgery. I used the meal plan and attended support groups a couple of months before I had the surgery. That way I knew what I needed to do to be successful. I knew how to eat/measure/portion control, etc. I knew my feelings/cravings/concerns were normal and learned how to deal with them before the surgery. The goal is not to be perfect, because none of us will ever be. The goal is to learn how to capitalize on your good times and how to work through your bad..

Hope this helps and encourages you.

Best wishes.

Oh, and don't be afraid to research public/private meetings such as food Addicts Anonymous, or Compulsive Over-eaters Anonymous, etc. Those are real illnesses with real solutions. If we don't ever acknowledge that that may be us - we may never get past first base.

Clear as mud?

I was worried about this too (I'm the textbook definition of emotional eater) and I have had a few times when I've eaten foods that I probably shouldn't. However, my sleeve prevents me from over doing it. So, yes, I ate one Oreo. But I did not eat 20--and that's success (in my book)!

Edited by geelynn

I actually had the dual challenge of not only not stress eating, but also stress drinking. I used to have a large (or 2 or 3) cocktails everyday after work. Most of my social activities involved drinking, too. I don't have a magic formula as to how I stopped, I just did. I still have shitty days at work and I still have emotional issues in my private life, I just don't drink or eat my way through them anymore. Surprisingly, learning how to Celebrate the good things without food and alcohol was just as hard. I read Cynthia's book, too, and that did help get my head in the right place. And I realized after a few times of not drinking and binge eating when I wanted to that the world was not going to come crashing down. Dealing with life without my crutches has gotten easier as time goes on. And as for socializing, I still do eat and drink at parties, it's just in extreme moderation.

Edited by Kindle

Do you have a psych you had to see as part of your program? If you do, you can see him or her for some sessions. It helps to bounce your fears/issues off of a trained professional. Also the psych visits were the one thing my insurance paid for in full preoperatively.