Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Missing the "Full" signal

I'm 8 days out and since day 1, I've had gurgling with each bite (well, sip) of food. The gurgle travels up my chest sorta like acid reflux. I always thought this was suppose to be a signal but this happens with EVERY bite including the first. I only eat 1/2 cup of food (well, soup) because my NUT said I'd only tolerate 1/4-1/2 cup, but I'm worried that I might be over doing it because I don't know when I'm full. I'm really missing the indicators and it worries me.

All of the nerves were sliced through when they removed your stomach. You will never have the same full feeling again. As you progress to soft foods, you will determine what your new normal is. Right now, on liquids or pureed, you won't have a full feeling at all. Foods/drinks of that consistency just slip right on through. Once you move up to soft foods, you'll quickly feel that restriction.

The gurgling could be acid. Are you on a PPI? Also, tiny tummies have a lot to say ... they rumble, grumble, squeak and chatter. I think it's kind of endearing, lol.

Hey all. In one of my preop classes, my NUT said that if you get a hiccup, a sneeze, a drippy nose, or a belch (I think) that's an indicator that your tummy is full. Have you been experiencing any of those? Hope this helps :)

Had them all.

How big of a bite are you having? Are you using baby or appetizer size utensils? I believe a serving on full liquids is 2-4 tablespoons. I would definitely ask the Dr or NUT tomorrow and see. I know everyone has different rules.

They told me to sip from 1 oz medicine cups, not to exceed 4 servings which I'm doing. It takes me about 10 min to finish one because of how slowly and how little I'm consuming. And although I prepare it as 4 oz, I rarely finish even 3 just because I don't wanna over do it. I read all these posts and between not feeling full, only losing 6 lbs in over a week, and all the cravings (tho I'm not giving in), I feel like I'm doing something wrong. I lost faster when I would diet on my own. I don't get it. Sorry to complain...

Hey no problem! I just want to help you figure it out too. My surgery is tomorrow. I've seen a lot of people on here say that you don't start feeling full until you move onto purees. 2T is 1 oz, and the NUT also said take 20-30 mins to eat and then wait 30 mins after that to sip Water. Maybe try slowing down? Maybe you're pushing too much through the sleeve and that's maybe why not losing as much? By no means am I any type of medical professional, I'm just trying to bounce some ideas around. You're what 9 days put now? Give your body some time to adjust, there were iv fluids and meds in your system. Plus I've seen on here the 2-3 week stall, maybe you started yours early. Have you taken measurements? Maybe that will help instead of the scale?

I had an online class and the NUT said hide it in the trunk of your car lol

"Only losing 6 pounds in a week" ???

What's only about. That's MAGNIFICENT!!!

Congrats!

Also, at my 2 week post-op visit, I mentioned to my surgeon that I was having some issues with acid. He explained that is very common, that my stomach is probably still producing enough acid for a bigger stomach and it just takes time to balance everything out. I will say that it's gotten much better! Hang in there, it really does all get better.