Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just scheduled for 11/11 & disappointed

Hi everyone! I just got the call to schedule my VSG surgery finally and they booked me for 11/11. I am very disappointed the surgery is booked so far out. I have completed all of my of the pre op requirements for my insurer and received approval last week from insurance. I have plans for a Christmas ski/snowboard vacation with my 2 sons and a 10 day Disney World vacation booked for 10 weeks after surgery and I am afraid this is going to blow everything out of the Water. I was hoping for surgery sometime in October and the earlier the better so I am frustrated to say the least. Reasonably, I know 4 weeks doesn't really matter in the whole big picture of time, but it just royally screwed my plans. And the fact it is only 2 weeks before Thanksgiving is another thorn in my side. My youngest son has multiple life threatening food allergies and our families don't accommodate his dietary requirements at holiday meals. So, I always have holiday meals at my house for my family unit and cook everything from scratch. Surgery 2 weeks before Thanksgiving isn't part of my plans. I busted my butt to get everything I needed done ASAP to get on the surgical schedule and be as healthy and as far from surgery as I could be before our winter plans hit us. Ok now that I have blown off all of my frustrations I can Celebrate the fact that I have completed my pre-op requirements, I have my surgery scheduled and I am moving in the right direction. Thanks for letting me vent to people who understand my frustrations!

Think about pre-cooking some of the side dishes prior to surgery and freezing them?

I feel your frustration. I've been counting on surgery in October also, and I won't get my date for another couple of weeks. I am planning a trip to Arizona for Thanksgiving, and would like to be able to be a willing participant at the gathering. :)

Good luck!

Thanks Lipstick Lady! I guess I am unsure about how recovery will be and I don't like to be unsure about things. I have had 2 laparoscopic surgeries (gallbladder & appendix at seperate times) and bounced back from each of those in a few days. I need to just get my head in the right place and soldier on!

If it helps at all, you should be cleared for all physical activity at 6 weeks, which should have you cleared to go snowboarding. Since the Disney trip largely involves walking and riding rides, you would likely be cleared for that even earlier. Also, at 4 weeks I was able to eat whatever I wanted in tiny, well-chewed portions, so food while you travel shouldn't be a big deal. Cooking Thanksgiving when you can't eat is going to be a hassle, but your other plans shouldn't be completely ruined by the surgery date. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you- good luck! :)

If all else fails, schedule it for after your vacations. Then you can rest up from the trips and surgery at the same time! Oops, forgot the pre surgery liquid diet. Would NOT want that on my vacation! Seriously, except for the food restrictions, you will be fine in a couple of weeks, barring any complications. Two months out and I have a hard time finding low carb when going out to eat. Also, with all my other health problems, ten days at Disney would have probably killed me had I done it 55 lbs ago, before VSG. I think I could do it now. Good luck and we are all here for you either way!