Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why gastric bypass

Why did you choose gastric bypass.

I just learned my insurance doesn't cover gastric sleeve after 6 month preop appt and diet. So now my choice is lap bad or gastric bypass. Those are the only 2 my insurance will pay. I always though gastric bypass is too invasive and scary for some reasons. Any help?

I don't know your situation and/or health status and/or weight/height, but I had BOTH a Lap-Band AND Bypass...and I wish I had "skipped" the Band completely. I chose the Lap-Band for the very reason you gave....less invasive, etc. but I ended up with SEVERE reflux and sub-par weight loss.

I was self-pay for BOTH surgeries...because my insurance doesn't cover any bariatric procedures.

The reason I did NOT choose the (less invasive) sleeve in between is that the "gold standard" is gastric bypass and has stood the test of time, so I didn't want to risk another failure and be faced with only the option of bypass.

I'm doing great, and my only regret is that I didn't go straight to bypass. I feel good and have had no complications (at this point). BUT....the ecision is a VERY personal one and should be yours and yours alone. Asking for other people's experiences is important, but don't let anyone pressure you - one way OR the other - because YOU ultimately have to live with the consequences of your decision, so be sure what you want and expect.

Best Wishes whichever option you choose. (If you believe such, it might be a good thing to pray about!)

Thank you for your reply. I should introduce my self. I been over weight all my highest weight was 240 now I drop to 210. Because the bariatric center want me to lose weight before they even submit the papers. Finally in sept 2, they submit request to insurance and I just learned today that it was denied because they don't cover gastric sleeve. I have a severe sleep apnea and high blood pressure and I'm 36 years old women, 5'5.

I am 6 months out from gastric bypass and have lost almost 100 pounds total, before and after surgery. I am 15 pounds from my goal. I am able to eat mostly anything, just in much smaller amounts. Best decision I have ever made.

I chose RNY because it has the best outcomes for reversing diabetes and my sister had the surgery 9 years ago and has had incredible success with it.

Whichever you close, I wish you the best of luck.

Carol

My program was limited to 3 options, Band, RNY or VSG.

Luckily, we could get approved for surgery before deciding upon which option we wanted. Then during the mandatory classes we got to ask questions, do additional research and didn't have to decide until after meeting up with one of the surgeons.

Through my research, I determined that RNY was my preferred option for many reasons, but the most important was my chance at success.

Since historically those who get RNY lost a higher percentage of excess weight, this was #1 for me, as I started my journey at 419 pounds, so wanted to lose as much as possible which whichever surgery I chose.

Next factor was the malabsorbtion. As I read more about this, I figured this would only help deter me from may of the fats and sugars that got me to where I was in the first place (and boy was I right).

And the next piece was the history. Just as Nina mentioned above, RNY has been performed longer than either of the others with much more result data to review. VSG was originally done as a stepping-stone before people could safely get RNY done and this really stuck with me as sort of a "happy medium" type of procedure. But if I was going under the knife I knew I wanted to do it once, not have to potentially have a second procedure later on.

Now that I'm almost 7 months post-op and ever so close to my goal of losing 200 pounds, I couldn't be happier with my decision. I'd do it 100 times over and would happily have paid much more than what it is costing me to end up where I'm at now.

What about post op! How long did it take to feel better? Come back to work etc? Congratulation on your 200lbs lost. That's great!

I felt good enough to work after 3 or 4 days ( was down to just Tylenol the day after i was released) but took a full week off then worked from home for another 2 only because i planned to do so. I was driving and easily ready to after that week though.

Hi Winning by Losing! I'm so impressed with your journey! I wanted to ask did you stay home a total of three weeks or one week plus 2 days?

I'm planning on taking two weeks, and I'm feeling pretty good, I'm just a bit weak. Today is day 6 post op, which gives me a week more at home. I think it will be ok, but I wanted to double check with you.

Hi Winning by Losing! I'm so impressed with your journey! I wanted to ask did you stay home a total of three weeks or one week plus 2 days?

I'm planning on taking two weeks, and I'm feeling pretty good, I'm just a bit weak. Today is day 6 post op, which gives me a week more at home. I think it will be ok, but I wanted to double check with you.

I took 1 week off and worked from home for 2 weeks. The first day I only worked a short 12 hour day to ease back into it but day 2 was back to the typical 18 hour day. I wish I'd have started working sooner though as it really helped me get into a rhythm and i didn't notice being tired or weak.

I took 1 week off and worked from home for 2 weeks. The first day I only worked a short 12 hour day to ease back into it but day 2 was back to the typical 18 hour day. I wish I'd have started working sooner though as it really helped me get into a rhythm and i didn't notice being tired or weak.

Thank you! Good to know. Some folks were saying they were taking 6 weeks off and I thought I might not have taken enough time.

I am taking 6 weeks off. But my job requires lifting & standing. I have 5 weeks of paid time off built up. My company said they would cover me for the last week & more if needed.

I agree with the above choices that you have to do what is best for you, I could have chose both but due to the fact that I already had acid reflex I chose the RNY I am so glad that I did and y only regret is that I did not do it sooner, I am happy and feeling great if anyone had told me that I would love to exercise and become a gym bum I would said they were a liar but its true you feel so good and to see your body change right before your eyes and to be able to do things that you could not is all worth it. I have had no complications and I could have went back to work 1 week after surgery. I also like the fact that RNY their are more history regarding this surgery and it is considered the goal standard I did not want to have multiple surgery and this has been the only major surgery that have ever had, not to mention that with this surgery I stop taking all diabetic medications after the third day of surgery. Good luck you have to do what is best for you and congrats on your choice in being healthy.

I had a lapband and had NOTHING but problems with it! I had reflux to the point I'd wake up aspirating and all food got stuck...even ice cream! I originally chose lapband because yes it is less invasive but don't let that fool you. I had lapband for 2 years....2 years too long and ONLY lost 23 lbs....18 lbs was prediet. October 7th my insurance graciously approved to have revision to RNY and I've lost almost 30 pounds in 2 weeks! Dr said RNY was good for me because I was a BIG sweet eater and this procedure makes your tummy very sick if you eat over 2 grams of sugar. If I could do it all over again, I would have NEVER had lapband and went straight to RNY. :)