Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have yet to have my surgery but plan to schedule mine for May 23rd or 25th. I have a question in regards to pre-op / post-op diet. Has anyone tried Isopure Protein Drink while on the pre-op / post-op diet? If so, do you think it helped curb your appetite, hinder your ability to lose weight, etc...? My husband is a health NUT and was telling me Isopure has the MOST Protein in shake form on the market today. Someone on one of the threads was using it but stated it made them gain weight. Two scoops of the chocolate flavor contains 220 calories and 50g of protein.

What are others using to fullfill their protein intake?

Thanks everyone!

I haven't tried the Isopure shakes but I did buy Isopure Zero carb drinks for after--during my clear liquid phase (I'm being banded on Monday, 5/7). Dr. Curry's dietician, Erin, recommended them for post-op clears to make sure I'm getting my Protein in. She said to make sure they are REALLY cold when you drink them so they taste better. I also bought powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken broth that has a ton of Protein in it--and I signed up for SparkPeople so that I can record my intake to make sure I'm getting enough protein in. Erin recommended getting anywhere from 60-80 g of protein in daily--she told me to try and shoot for 80 during my healing phase. I also bought some samples of the Unjury shakes--chocolate and vanilla--and they are really good--I mix them up with a ton of ice cubes and a packet of splenda and they are good. Good Luck!

Amy

I was banded on Monday 4/30 so today was my first day off Clear Liquids. Being a huge Starbucks fan I was not really looking forward to a life without my late / coffee. This morning I tried AdvantEDGE caramel coffee Protein drink and was thrilled to discover it tasted like 'Starbucks Machiato'. Can someone answer this. I'm not really sure on portions yet and took 15 minutes to drink about 5oz of the drink. Does that sound okay?? I don't want to stretch the pouch. Please give me some feedback.

Anniemac

I was banded on Monday 4/30 so today was my first day off clear liquids. Being a huge Starbucks fan I was not really looking forward to a life without my late / coffee. This morning I tried AdvantEDGE caramel coffee Protein drink and was thrilled to discover it tasted like 'Starbucks Machiato'. Can someone answer this. I'm not really sure on portions yet and took 15 minutes to drink about 5oz of the drink. Does that sound okay?? I don't want to stretch the pouch. Please give me some feedback.

Anniemac

My doctor told me you won't stretch your pouch on liquids. Now I'm sure that went hand in hand with not drinking a gallon of Water in an hour. I LOVE the AdvantEDGE drinks. I survived on the chocolate shakes on my preop diet and starting the fourth day after surgery.

I like that they are less milky and more watery. chilled they are delicious.

Weightingtolose, keep in mind that your body can only absorb between 20 and 25 grams of Protein at a time, so you won't do much benefit (in my opinion) by having a 50g Protein Drink all at once. I have tried the bottled Isopure and thought it was horrible. It's no fun if you've got to choke it down. :)

I really like the AdvantEdge Carb Sense creamy chocolate. It's not bad and it even satisfies my chocolate craving. :)

For a few weeks after my surgery I had a really hard time getting all the liquids I needed, so the thought of having to drink the shakes was not appealing. ........I rave about the liquid whey Protein test tubes wherever I go because they are a great option. It is a 3oz testtube, and you can choose between the 25g and the 42g protein tube. I buy the 42g and split it. I'll drink half in the morning and half in the afternoon to tide me over until dinner. By splitting it, I get 21g of protein at only 88 calories! And because of the protein, it really fills you up. A word of caution though--the orange is sickly sweet. I like the grape and fruit punch best.

:) Virginia

Can you tell me where to get the protien bullets or capsules you are refering to? I know I had come across them, but for some reason cannot find them...

Thanks

Traci

Hi, I was wondering about the following..Weightingtolose, keep in mind that your body can only absorb between 20 and 25 grams of Protein at a time, so you won't do much benefit (in my opinion) by having a 50g Protein drink all at once. I have tried the bottled Isopure and thought it was horrible. It's no fun if you've got to choke it down. :(

I really like the AdvantEdge Carb Sense creamy chocolate. It's not bad and it even satisfies my chocolate craving. :)Hi,Could you tell me if the AdvantEdge Carb Sense is the same as the liquid whey protien test tubes? I have not heard of either and my surgery is in a couple of days. I live quite remote so was thinking of purchasing the necessary "stuff" before the surgery. I just want to be prepared before hand. Plus, where do I get them?

For a few weeks after my surgery I had a really hard time getting all the liquids I needed, so the thought of having to drink the shakes was not appealing. ........I rave about the liquid whey protein test tubes wherever I go because they are a great option. It is a 3oz testtube, and you can choose between the 25g and the 42g protein tube. I buy the 42g and split it. I'll drink half in the morning and half in the afternoon to tide me over until dinner. By splitting it, I get 21g of protein at only 88 calories! And because of the protein, it really fills you up. A word of caution though--the orange is sickly sweet. I like the grape and fruit punch best.Thanks for all the good information, as I too think I will have a problem with getting enough liquids down. Shar

:) Virginia

Hi Shar, you can get the advantEdge just at Walmart. I want to say that in a pack of 4 they are like $6-$7. I am not sure on the whey Protein tubes, but I would be interested in those also:)

I have yet to have my surgery but plan to schedule mine for May 23rd or 25th. I have a question in regards to pre-op / post-op diet. Has anyone tried Isopure Protein drink while on the pre-op / post-op diet? If so, do you think it helped curb your appetite, hinder your ability to lose weight, etc...? My husband is a health NUT and was telling me Isopure has the MOST Protein in shake form on the market today. Someone on one of the threads was using it but stated it made them gain weight. Two scoops of the chocolate flavor contains 220 calories and 50g of protein.

What are others using to fullfill their protein intake?

Thanks everyone!

My surgeon recomended the clear isopure bottle for the day after surgery only. After that he recomends unjury, adkins, or eas.

I quite like Unjury but you have to mix it yourself. Adkins is chalky but tollerable. I tried eas this morning and it is great. 17g of protien per 11 oz serving and it is premixed. it has 110 cal. and no sugar.

On a side note when dealing with my nutritionist, she said that the body needs about 50-60g of protien a day so you don't lose hair or look like death but like others said here can only absorb so much at a given time. You might want to spread that 50g out over the day. Also if you are on full liquids right now the calorie content in that shake if you were to drink multiple may cause you to exceed your daily caloric intake. I'm sure everyone is different but from what i understand most drs recomend 800-1000 cal a day. some will tell you up to 1200 but i am sure it depends on the patient and what is best for them. Talk to a nutritionist about it.