Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost Flunking my C25k? Rats!

Well, today was the final day for my Couch-to-5k app on my phone, also known as c25k. It was 8 weeks long, three times a week, and I loved it most of the days. At 6 weeks my husband and I did a 5k run/walk and I was glad I could jog the entire first half, and then alternated jogging and walking the remaining time. My time was abysmal by most standards (46.07), but i was happy with it as a benchmark for eventual improvement. I also figured by the time I finished my c25k program I'd be ready to jog the whole 5k. So why WHY didn't I do the math at that point? Hello!?!

I did the app today and jogged 35 minutes covering just over 2 miles, and then saw that it was (gasp!) the last day of it, and the little "Congratulations - you're a 5K runner!" came up. Uh...no. Not yet anyway.

So, maybe I idnt' flunk it, but I'm giving myself a "C" for not making my goal--but the good thing is, I WILL make that goal, and will get some other motivator going in order to speed up my pace. There's one out there called "Forever 5K" that works on speed. I'll get there eventually!

Suggestions anyone?

I have a couch to 5k app on my phone and I keep looking at it and think "nope" and "is a zombie apocalypse imminent?" So you are one step ahead of me there, girl. But the thing is, you finished the program. So you are a runner :) Be proud of that!

I've done C25k a couple times over the years and I never got to running the full 5k in 35 minutes either, but here's my advice. Do it over again from week one, but instead of walking for the "walk" parts, go your normal running pace then for the "run" parts, increase your speed. Eventually you'll get to the point where you are doing that full 35 minutes at your increased speed.

Many times I could not complete a session, so I would go back and start that week over...so a 8 week course took me maybe 12 weeks to complete....

But now, I run anywhere from 3-5 miles at least 5 days a week, and have been for quite some time now...

It's worth noting for beginners, I did not decide one day I'll start training to run...I worked thr elliptical 5 days a week for some time until it wasn't doing anything for me (cardio wise) no matter how much resistance or speed.

Then I knew I was ready to step it up.

Edited by B-52

Try Zombies Run (game) app...very fun...you basically have to run from zombies...if they catch you, you lose things and have to start over in the game. You get to listen to your music inbetween the story line while running/walking. Not sure if android has it, though.

Edited by Junebug36

I did not look at this as a contest, a race, etc. I looked at this as a long term "Training - conditioning" program.

So I wanted to be sure I completed and got down each week thoroughly until moving on to the next. And when I finished, I had it' and could do it every day thereafter. It became a part of me.

Then I moved on to the 10K program.

I'm doing the Zombies Run 5k app (little different than just Zombies Run app) and I'm in the middle of week 4. I'm registered for my first 5k September 27th and my goal is to run most of it. I have another one scheduled for November 1 and the goal there is to run the entire thing. I'm thinking about signing up for one of the Turkey Trots on Thanksgiving... it's not like I'm gonna be pigging out on that day anyway! :)

It sounds like you've made great progress whether you met your goal or not. I'd give you an A for effort... which is really the only part you have control over... how much effort you put into it. You're CERTAINLY not a failure!

Way to go!

Thanks SO much everyone! I do think of this as training, not just getting to the 5k end point. It's a vehicle for for health, not an end point at all. I love having the goals and incentives of the app though, and will try the ideas you've all floated. Thanks again!

You guys are all SO impressive to me!

Thanks for your examples. :)

My first 5K was around 45 min. When I finished the C25K training program I was not able to run a 5K the whole way, so I just kept adding a minute every run or every other run until I got to 5K. My last 5K I did was 35 min. That was after running for about 8 months.

After the C25K program I moved on to the Hal Higdon novice half marathon training. It only takes you up to 10 miles. The theory is that adrenaline of the race will get you the extra 3 miles. I went ahead and did 11 miles as my last long run before my first half and that 2 miles extra was no problem! I think the biggest thing that the programs teach you is to persevere and keep increasing your distance or time. I really never worried about speed for the first year of running.

I took off the last 4 months to get my knee injected and for plastic surgery. I'm going to be starting back on day 1 of c25k in a few weeks.

Congratulations, you are running! I just started the C25K program also and I'm on Week 2, Day 1. I wished I could run for 35 minutes consecutively at any speed. I know, I know, patience and perseverance, right? I am trying to be ready for a Thanksgiving day race in my town. Right now, 90 second intervals seems like a lot of running. Maybe I should slow the pace just a hair. Thanks, just reading your post gives me motivation to keep it up.

I've download the app and am a bit afraid to start. My weight is 339 and my knees are not too happy still. However I have come this far and promised myself that fear would no longer rule my life. I'll start tonight.

@tekjr1 I've always heard that if a week is particularly difficult for you, just repeat that week again. I know it throws off the timeline a little but who cares about timelines... it's about improvement and health!

I'm just finished up week 4 and it was tough the first 2 runs but the last one was a lot easier. Be interesting to see what week 5 has in store! :)

Ginger

My first 5K was around 45 min. When I finished the C25K training program I was not able to run a 5K the whole way, so I just kept adding a minute every run or every other run until I got to 5K. My last 5K I did was 35 min. That was after running for about 8 months.

After the C25K program I moved on to the Hal Higdon novice half marathon training. It only takes you up to 10 miles. The theory is that adrenaline of the race will get you the extra 3 miles. I went ahead and did 11 miles as my last long run before my first half and that 2 miles extra was no problem! I think the biggest thing that the programs teach you is to persevere and keep increasing your distance or time. I really never worried about speed for the first year of running.

I took off the last 4 months to get my knee injected and for plastic surgery. I'm going to be starting back on day 1 of c25k in a few weeks.

Oh, funny story. My 6th grade teacher's husband is Hal Higdon. But that was in 1988 - 1989!

If you're worried about knees and weight - the Couch-to-5k app works nicely if you walk as instructed, and then walk faster or 'power walk' the jogging parts. I had to do that in the beginning, since I was in the 270s when i started, and had already had knee trouble a few years ago when I overdid it once.

Also, I'm pleased to say I started "5K Forever" yesterday, and it was great. It's intended to sped you up some after doing a c25k app. Intervals are usual pace alternating with slightly faster pace, and of course the 5 minute warm up and cool down. Thanks again for the ideas and encouragement everyone! It makes all the difference in the world to me.

Kate