Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Really screwed up... Please any help would be appreciated!

I think I am way worse off than I thought I was mentally with food. I literally can't wait for my psych appointment. I want this sleeve more than anything and like a lot of you I was living on this site.

Went to see the nutritionist and she told me other things that I should be trying, gave me some tools to help me out. She had some great ideas. Just told me the it doesn't matter how much I lose even if its just a couple pounds.

Now I am going crazy doing the complete opposite. I feel like I can't eat enough.. eating bad things that wasn't even a problem for me before I seen her. Never was a sweet eater and now I am going out of my way to get "junk" food. Portion Control? ... what's that?

Why am I doing this to myself... I feel like I can't stop. I know its wrong and I shouldn't be eating like I have been but I still do it and then feel awful for doing it so I eat some more!!!

Help me get Control!!! PLEASE!!

JenSul I have done the same thing - then I have to spend the 2-3 days prior to my doctor's appointment watching everything that goes into my mouth so I can at least show a 1 pound loss for the month. I think it has something to do with our emotions - like eat it all now because after surgery you won't be able to eat any if this stuff (even though we know down the road we will be able to eat anything we want to in moderation).

I am trying to reign it in and some days I have more luck than others. Good luck :).

Summer

I'm in the same place. Tonight is my second followup weigh in, and I'm nervous because I don't know if I'll show a loss. The bottom line is you are the only one who can do this for you. The only thing we can do to help is to tell you that we are experiencing the same thing.

Do you want to have the surgery? Do you believe this will work and change your life? I believe this for myself, after reading all the posts here for the last 8 months or so. You have to believe it, first of all.

If you believe it will work, then do you believe you are worth it? I believe I deserve every chance I can get for myself to be healthy.

If you believe you are worth it, are you willing to work hard for a while, knowing that the eating will become easier to control if you just set yourself up for a safe surgery now by controlling the urge to eat things that are not on your nutritionist's plan for you? I am working so hard, I cry some nights because I want to eat whatever I want and I won't let myself.

That's the bottom line. If you want it, if you believe in it, if you believe you deserve it, you can do this. Take a deep breath, forget about everything that you've done to date, and get started now. You can do this.

You're no different than lots of other folks on this site. Hell, if we could control what and how we eat, we wouldn't need WLS. Tell the truth to the NUT and let her know you are having a great deal of difficulty sticking to her suggestions.

Sounds like you are having some food funerals. I had them...lots of them. I thought I'd never be able to eat certain things again so I ate like there was no tomorrow. Once I got banded though, I followed the instructions to the letter and when I started to lose, that was great incentive to stick to the plan.

It's been over 18 months now and I'm smaller than half my size and happier and healthier than I've been in years. Don't let this setback derail you.

wow ladies you totally just made me cry with the beautiful support you just gave. Thank you so much.. truly thank you!

@@JenSul what @@gowalking posted is right on the money! Now is the time to wrap your mind around all these things. Now is the time for learning, and making mistakes. When you have your surgery you don't want to make mistakes then because your new tool will let you know in a BIG way that your making mistakes.

So now is the time for trial and error. Now is the time to eat what your eating, and realize that hey that's not what or how I should be eating once I have this surgery. Perfect! Your in the right place, you working through your issues and finding out where those food challenges have been hiding! Your discovering our sweet tooth, and now you know where it is, and knowing is half the battle.

As for the food funerals, go easy on them. You will see that soon after your surgery all those "forbidden" foods that you thought you will NEVER eat again....will be right there and you will be able to eat them again! The difference after surgery will be that you will have a new outlook and understanding about those foods, and on food in general. You will know and even better understand that yes you can eat it, but with your new tool you will do so in moderation and in control.

So keep on going friends, your on the right path!!

Also remember from a nutritionists point of view....there is a big difference between eating food and nutrition. There are many people who are overweight, obese and even morbidly obese who are also malnourished. Having weight and an excess of weight does not mean we have good nutrition.

Once you have WLS having good nutrition becomes a little more difficult, especially if you do not understand what that is and practice it before WLS.

The reason for this is that after WLS you have a limited amount of space in which to consume food. The choice of food you consume is where the nutrition aspect comes in.

Think about it this way, you could choose a 100 calorie ice cream sandwich or. a 100 calorie chicken breast. What is the nutritional value of the ice cream vs. the nutritional value of the chicken?

The ice cream is going to taste better but it is more than likely loaded with chemicals, artificial sweeteners and flavors, that your body is going to digest and expel.

The chicken breast is going to fill you up provide you with Protein that your body needs to repair muscle and provide energy to get you through your day.

Given the small space you have to consume food the choice is very often one or the other...and this is where your understanding and practice of nutrition will come into play.

@@JenSul what @@gowalking posted is right on the money! Now is the time to wrap your mind around all these things. Now is the time for learning, and making mistakes. When you have your surgery you don't want to make mistakes then because your new tool will let you know in a BIG way that your making mistakes.

So now is the time for trial and error. Now is the time to eat what your eating, and realize that hey that's not what or how I should be eating once I have this surgery. Perfect! Your in the right place, you working through your issues and finding out where those food challenges have been hiding! Your discovering our sweet tooth, and now you know where it is, and knowing is half the battle.

As for the food funerals, go easy on them. You will see that soon after your surgery all those "forbidden" foods that you thought you will NEVER eat again....will be right there and you will be able to eat them again! The difference after surgery will be that you will have a new outlook and understanding about those foods, and on food in general. You will know and even better understand that yes you can eat it, but with your new tool you will do so in moderation and in control.

So keep on going friends, your on the right path!!

Also remember from a nutritionists point of view....there is a big difference between eating food and nutrition. There are many people who are overweight, obese and even morbidly obese who are also malnourished. Having weight and an excess of weight does not mean we have good nutrition.

Once you have WLS having good nutrition becomes a little more difficult, especially if you do not understand what that is and practice it before WLS.

The reason for this is that after WLS you have a limited amount of space in which to consume food. The choice of food you consume is where the nutrition aspect comes in.

Think about it this way, you could choose a 100 calorie ice cream sandwich or. a 100 calorie chicken breast. What is the nutritional value of the ice cream vs. the nutritional value of the chicken?

The ice cream is going to taste better but it is more than likely loaded with chemicals, artificial sweeteners and flavors, that your body is going to digest and expel.

The chicken breast is going to fill you up provide you with Protein that your body needs to repair muscle and provide energy to get you through your day.

Given the small space you have to consume food the choice is very often one or the other...and this is where your understanding and practice of nutrition will come into play.

thank you for being so positive for me... I think that's one of the things I am afraid of.. I know what the right choice is but how do you get yourself to actually make that right choice? Make sense? Sounds silly to even me... but I think that is what my problem is.. I know what the right choice is but why am I not making it and how do I start to actually pick the right one? Something that is seems so silly and easy to me is my biggest obstacle.

When I have the two choices in front of me I always go with whatever I want in the moment no matter what.. can't seem to either emotionally or mentally slow down and pick the one that is the one I should be eating...

I'm sorry I hope I am making sense.

One thing that I found that helped pre surgery was to get my mind off of it, I know I know easier said than done, but if I grabbed a bottle of Water and went for a walk...there were no Snacks on my trail :) and when you go for a walk you stop thinking about food.

It will get better, try eating something more filling like cottage cheese or grab a low fat cheese stick or something and get walking. I know before my surgery if I got hungry at night I would just go to bed, seems silly but it worked. I wish you the best of luck!! you can do it!

@@JenSul what you said makes total sense. Even though we know all the right choices, if we could make them and follow those good eating habits unassisted we would not be on this site :)

Once you have your tool you will see that it does get easier to make the better choices. Your tool is just that a tool that will help you tailor your choices as you learn to work and live with it.

The best thing that you are doing pre-op is recognizing and understanding your habits and where those pit falls are for you. You are laying out the course for your journey and while you may fall into one or two of those pot holes along the way, you will have an understanding of them and will be able to navigate out of and around them more effectively then someone who isn't doing that work pre-op and is thinking that once they have surgery all the work is done for them and they don't have to do anything but lose weight.

Some of pit falls can be favorite foods, emotional eating, cultural eating (think of things like holiday treats and meals or special occasion foods like birthday cake) even the idea of the fast food culture we live in today is a big pitfall for me. I work all day long, those that know me could say 24/7 with some nap time thrown in :)

Who has time to plan a meal and cook it?! but taking the time to make the time and carve that out for myself and my husband has resulted in greater nutrition for us, as well as better weight loss and compliance with our WLS tool. Now don't get me wrong I still love that fast food, but I don't frequent McDonalds or Burger King or even Taco Bell. I can make "fast" food at home, and have something for lunch the next day so that takes the thinking out of the day for me. (it also helps that the hubs is a fireman and cooks!!!)

Your not doing anything wrong, get yourself a note book or scratch pad and take some notes on your eating habits. I love the 4 W's. Who do you eat with? What do you eat? Why are you choosing that? Where do you eat? they tell us lots about ourselves and our habits, and then if you get to the How you eat? Do you gobble, shovel, watch TV, read etc.

All those things will change after WLS, but if you can define them now you will know after how to modify them.

sounds mental more than anything.... I was going through this "last supper" syndrome. eating/drinking whatever, because my mind was telling me that after surgery you can't have that anymore.... hang in there. I know you can do it. good advice above too. :)