Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am getting ready to make my decision with weightloss surgery. My first choice is Gastric Bypass. Second choice Gastric Sleeve. give me your feed back on how it is working for you. Feeling undecided.

My original decision was for the sleeve but that changed when my gastric doctor told me that the bypass was better for me because of acid reflux.

I had the bypass and am very pleased with my results.

I am much healthier and off almost all major medications.

No more diabetes meds, cholesterol meds, high blood pressure meds, Migraine meds, as a few other.

So I'm all for bypass.

It really worked for me.

Good luck with your decision and surgery.

I also had reflux and decided to go with the bypass. I haven't regretted it so far. Any food I've tried is fine (I'm sticking strictly to the plan -- I'm sure fried chicken wouldn't sit well) and no nausea or vomiting or anything like that.

I went with bypass because of the reflux but also because I wanted the surgery with the best track record and best chance of maximum weight loss. So far down 22 pounds in 30 days -- not too shabby!

I had decided on bypass before I met with my surgeon. He recommended the sleeve because I was relatively healthy and would then not need to have as many supplements post-surgery. He said the weight loss difference would not be worth the extra supplements I would need to take. I agreed to have the sleeve surgery. I am extremely happy with my outcome and do not foresee that changing! Good luck to you which ever choice you make!

I never considered anything besides for gastric bypass. I am on day 13 and lost 18 pounds since the surgery, 36 lbs total.

I was leaning toward the sleeve and decided for bypass also because of gerd. Don't regret any of it.

I've had the sleeve which was easy recovery for me. I've lost 45 lbs. Unless I diet and Excersize hard cute I'll pretty much stay here. Now I gave scar tissue which is pulling at the shake of my stomach changing it. Also have acid reflux. So next week I am applying to insurance for revision to bypass.

I had lapband 7 years ago. After a year, I had severe GERD and had to have most of the Fluid taken out of the band. After 6 more years of severe GERD and finally a diagnosis of aspiration pneumonias and staph in the lungs, it was recommended by the head of the GI department at a large metropolitan hospital that I have a conversion to RNY bypass. I am still down about 65 pounds from the original 100 I lost with lap band. Insurance approved the surgery in 2 weeks so I guess there's no question that this is the fix! I meet with my surgeon (the same one that did the lap band) next week for pre-op appointment and surgery date. I am scared, elated, preocupied with bypass information. I am reading everything I can get my hands on. I devoured the Big Book of Gastric Bypass and am re-reading it, marking questions and thoughts to talk with the surgeon and the dietician about. Not sure how or why I missed Bariatric Pal before, but I need all the help I can get. I have great family support and a couple of friends/acquaintances who have had bypass surgery so I feel supported. I need to move on from the "deja vu all over again" feeling and know that this is procedure is way different. I would love to hear from anyone else who has had a conversion.

Edited by Boppin' Bubbe

High cholesterol - gone. Type 2 diabetes - gone. sleep apnea - gone. High blood pressure - gone. Back and knee pain - gone. 130 lbs - gone. Starting BMI 35.0 - Current BMI 22.9. Starting waist 48" - Current waist 34". Weight leveled off at 155 lbs just under 14 months after surgery - Weight this morning almost two years and nine months after surgery - 151.4 lbs. Since reaching 155 lbs, my weight has not been over 156 or under 151.

Gastric bypass is working well for me. My body is where it wants to be. And I'm lovin' the new me!

I chose RNY for the best results and long term success rate. I had been overweight since the birth of my twins 28 years ago. I had a bmi of 47. I had back, knee, and foot pain; I had trouble standing all day at work; I had high cholesterol and took meds for it; I was prediabetic; my blood pressure was getting higher; and worst of all I was miserable and looking at a short, bleak future if I didn't make changes soon. My husband has always been physically fit and active. I was ashamed of myself and felt like a constant embarrassment to him (though we have been happily married for 32 yrs). I felt like he deserved someone better than me.

I had my surgery on 5/30/13. I had no complications and an easy, quick recovery. By seven months I had lost 100 pounds. Today my total weight loss is 120lbs. My high cholesterol is gone and so are the meds. All my pains are gone. I have energy to do anything I want to. I am in the best health I have ever been in my adult life. I am in a size 6 and love shopping for clothes. The only criteria I used to have for clothes shopping was that they fit. Now everything fits and I only buy what I love! I can ride on the back of my husbands Harley in comfort and not worry what the cars behind us are seeing. I am living my life instead of watching it go by. It's easily the best decision I ever made. I only wish I had made it sooner!

Does everyone lose hair?

Yes. It's caused by physical stress to your body from surgery and rapid weight loss. It ranges from barely noticeable to severe. Changing your hairstyle can help disguise it until it begins to fill back in. It is only temporary. :-)

Week 3 post RNY, GERD and Crohn's seem to have vanished!