Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tweaking the fill

Argh. Almost two weeks after my last fill, my fill level is too tight. I have to go in and get a little drawn out, because I'm leaving for a long-haul flight shortly and there's no way I can fly like this... I can't bring my Liquid Protein ON THE PLANE!

What's "too tight" feel like?

It's difficult to eat anything solid--even moist fish, such as tuna salad. Being too-tight creates a sort of exterior-enforced anorexia, without any hunger. I love having no hunger and can see why some bandsters keep their bands uber-tight. I never want to eat, never think of food, the idea of prepping a meal and sitting down to eat it just seems like a huge waste of time. It's crazy how the band affects the brain--I can't figure out how it does this but it just turns off your hunger cues! (When the band is not too tight, I get appropriately hungry but fill up quickly on little food. With a too-tight band I never get hungry and could go all day without eating anything.)

I'm having a real problem eating anything of consistency so I have to get my Protein in with Protein Drinks, which I have to sip very very slowly or the liquid backs up. If I just drink like a normal person, all the liquid clogs in my band and the pressure is very uncomfortable. I have to stand up, loosen my bra, walk around or jump in place so the clog dissolves and the liquid passes through. I also have to burp a lot in order for the liquid to go down. Nice!

In the morning, when my band is tightest, this happens on a mere sip of liquid. I no longer can drink my stuff before leaving for work; I have to put it in a travel cup and sip all morning.

That means I'm too tight.

Yesterday's lunch, which was 2 ounces of moist chicken in a sauce with 3 cubes of soggy, overcooked zucchini, took me from 1:30 to 4:30 to eat. Each tiny, baby bite hurt like hell as it passed my band.

That means I'm too tight.

I love the weight loss that happens when I'm this restricted (I'm now back down to my pre-unfill weight which I'm very happy about) but I don't like disordered eating. I want my band to let me eat like a naturally-slender person, which it does when it is properly tuned, not turn me into an anorexic. Also, liquids should not hurt as they flow through the band, nor should mushies!

So just a small tweak--from 6.0 to 5.5--should be good. Hopefully I can get in this week.

Edited by parisshel

I'm glad that you know that you need to have an unfill. I went thru the same thing in the beginning of the year and my doctor kept telling me to wait another week. I knew my body and how crappy I felt that I told him I didn't want to. I'm sure you will start feeling better after an unfill. Good luck :)

Medically required liquids, such as baby formula and food, breast milk and medications are allowed in excess of 3.4 ounces in reasonable quantities for the flight. It is not necessary to place medically required liquids in a zip-top bag. However, you must tell the Transportation Security Officer that you have medically necessary liquids at the beginning of the screening checkpoint process. Medically required liquids will be subjected to additional screening that could include being asked to open the container. We recommend, but do not require, that medication be labeled to facilitate the security process.

You need a letter from your doctor saying the Protein Drink is medically necessary.

Thanks, labwalker. That's interesting information to know. Hopefully a slight unfill will allow me to fly with my normal band-friendly foods: Protein Bars, fruit and nuts. But I'll keep your info in the back of my mind just in case.

Hi Shel, great post. I feel like there are certain foods I need to be able to eat or I know I'm too tight. For me those are salmon and steamed broccoli. I hear you on the upside of too tight and losing back that five, but I don't want to be disordered either. For those of us who came from a restrictive background (dieting queens!) this is of course dangerous territory. I think I like food too much to "go there" but I don't want to find out. Here's to HEALTHY and happy -- strong bodies with dimmed appetites but healthy need/desire for good food in small amounts. Happy travels ahead!