Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When stuff gets "stuck"

Okay, I am assuming stuff gets stuck because you eat too big a bite or don't chew enough, right? Or does stuff get stuck because of the type of food it is? If something gets stuck....what do you do? I saw where someone walked and walked and walked. Do you barf or what?

For me...stuck came from talking & eating at the same time. I don't mean talking with my mouth full, but I really have to be conscious of the eating process so I don't get an air bubble in between the food and the stoma. I got an air bubble down before the food and wham-o....stuck for a couple of minutes. I jiggled, walked, etc. Thus, I take a bite, chew, chew, chew, swallow...wait, then talk. I really have to focus on how I'm eating so I don't goof it up. I hope this helps.

Please try not to barf! You have stitches that need to heal.

You don't want to rip them out and have the band slip.

I ate Jello too fast the other day. I was reading the forum and not thinking about the bites I had, but I started to feel stuck.. and I looked and saw I ate most of the cup very quickly. So it was all sitting there.. I panicked and gulped some water.. it made it worse, and without pain/effort/warning it ALL just came right back up (and all over my lap). If something gets stuck, your body will likely get rid of it (vomit/pb/whatever). If it can't get rid of it, I hear about walking, and then the next step would be dr. (if it's something that wouldn't 'dissolve' on its own).

Okay, I am assuming stuff gets stuck because you eat too big a bite or don't chew enough, right? Or does stuff get stuck because of the type of food it is? If something gets stuck....what do you do? I saw where someone walked and walked and walked. Do you barf or what?

In my experience it can happen due to both not eating properly (too fast, too big of a bite) but I've had it happen over the food itself too (apples with skin on). It should be a rare occurrence or else it might indicate the band is too tight or the person isn't following the rules well. So, don't worry about it too much; however, I'd bet that we all will experience the joy at some point!

Now, what happens can vary as well. Sometimes it will jiggle it's way on through and I feel better almost instantly. However, sometimes you do PB (barf) but it's not barf like you're used to...the food has not gotten to the lower stomach and so no digestive juices have gotten to it meaning the food pretty much looks the same on the way back up...usually combined with a TON of sticky saliva (sliming). The sliming occurs as the body tried to lubricate the stuck food by creating a lot of thick saliva...it's nasty. But, it's basically clear saliva...you just feel like a rabid dog for awhile!

Either rate, the best advice is to attempt to stay calm during one of these episodes because you want to make the situation as non-violent as possible to make it easier on your band. Usually, your body is going to decide for itself if it can get it through or if it needs to bring the food back up...you're just kinda along for the ride!

That's just how things happen for me, I hope that helps!

That is a pretty good description of what happens.. I think I would start to freak out too. Hopefully I can remember to be calm.

For me its not chewing enough - I had my second ever PB the other night and there was a HUGE piece of meat there. I'm not sure I even chewed it at all, lol.

Walking helps me if I'm a bit stuck, unfortunately I find it very hard to PB. I 'm sure I would have had a more normal amount of PB's (two in 16 months is pretty few) but where other people just huck it up, I dont. I was never a vomiter either. My sis used to say "I feel nauseous, I'm just going to throw up and then I'll feel better". I could never ever do that, for me I"m REALLY sick when I throw up.

So for things stuck, I have to walk, stand on my head and hold my breath to increase intra-abdominal pressure, jump up and down, raise my arms over my head and all sorts of things to relieve the feeling whereas a lot of people would just PB and be done with it.

Banded 4/13/07 ate some pudding without thinking. I am ok to have it but ate too fast. It goes down so easy. Then noticed feeling sick. Very bloated feeling. Did everything I could not to throw up. And I didn't but was probably 45 minutes before I felt better. Good lesson, eat slow.

I've had 3 things get stuck for 3 different reasons:

1. Cold sausage -because I didn't chew it enough. PBed about 10 minutes later.

2. Crusty white bread -I shouldn't have even attempted to eat it. PBed about 10 minutes later.

3. Antidepressant medication -I didn't break it up enough. I didn't PB but felt very sick for about 8 hours and couldn't eat a thing.

In short we're all different and you just have to learn what works and doesn't work for you!