Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser So. California

Hello, I have begun the process for Gastric Sleeve surgery with Kaiser Permanente in So. Ca.

I've attended my group information session and will start the Options classes for 12 weeks in July.

I'm wondering if any of you have used Kaiser and what your experience was. Especially the timeline.

Looking forward to hearing about your experience.

I began option classes in March, finished at the end of May. During that time I had a doctor's visit, lab tests, EKG, and X-ray. After my last class I got a clearance appointment scheduled for the following week. Once I got cleared, I was told that it would take about 2-3 weeks to get referred but I was called the very same day I was cleared. I was referred to the West La Kaiser which took a couple days to get a call for a consult with the surgeon which is this Thursday, June 26th. I'll find out then what day my surgery will be scheduled. Hope that helps a little. It seems like everything has gone pretty smooth and quick so far. Good luck to you.

Thank you so much for answering. Your reply helps a lot in trying to figure out the whole time line. May I ask what city you live in? I'm in Riverside and from what the nurse told us at our first group meeting most patients are referred to LA for the surgery. Please let me know how your appt goes this week. Are you nervous?

Again, thank you!

Hello,

I live in the San Fernando Valley so I took my options classes at the Panorama City Kaiser. I will definitely let you know how my appointment goes. At this point I think I'm more anxious. I am excited because I know this is what I need to do for myself but sometimes doubt myself. I am worried about being nauseous and vomiting after since that has been my last 2 experiences with anesthesia. Once I find a Protein that I can tolerate then I will feel more confident that I can do this. Have you heard anything good or bad about any of the surgeons at West LA?

You and I are a lot alike.... I don't tolerate anasthesia well either. That fact alone makes this surgery scary for me... I'm very afraid of throwing up. But I will have the surgery and hope for the best. I have heard very good things about Kaiser LA. They do a lot of specialty type surgeries.

I kinda hope I get my surgery there. I wonder why Kaiser doesn't have their own bariatric surgery for the Inland Empire. Let me know how your appt on Thursday goes please.

I had the lapband in 4/2009 outside of Kaiser. Fast forward to 4/2013, I was very uncomfortable with the band and was now with Kaiser. I attended the options classes and really loved Dr Nanda who was over them. In fact, Being almost 3 weeks post op I made an apt to see him. I felt he really cared about helping me find a plan for me and those classes really benefit me. At any rate, I had my band removed at the Harbor City/LA with Dr Gary Belzberg last year. A few Years prior my step mom had her bypass surgery there with a different MD and encountered Dr Belzberg during an ER visit and did not like the lack of compassion in her own Dr. I remember her telling me I was so lucky I was given him to perform my surgery. I had the gastic sleeve on 6/5/14 and am quite pleased so far! I seriously recommend going to the bariatric support classes Kaiser offers. They are so helpful to me. Good luck to you!!!

How are you feeling? Did you experience much pain? How long was your hospital stay? Sorry for so many questions. I start the Options classes on July 8, and I can't wait to get started. I think they will be so helpful.

Susan909,

My appointment that was scheduled this morning was canceled. I got a call this morning that the dr called out and to call for another appt. the earliest was in another 2 weeks. This is not good news for me. I work for a school district so I was trying to do the surgery ASAP so I can recover before school starts again. I asked about getting referred somewhere else. They said the the wait time for surgery at West la was 7 weeks anyway so they are referring me to South Bay since it is supposed to be the shortest wait time.

No I haven't tried unjury yet. I am going to order a variety of sample packs and see if I can tolerate any. I tried Isopure and the taste shocked the crap out of my mouth so I am really scared to even taste anything else but it's got to be done.

I had my surgery through So Cal Kaiser (Fontana) on March 5th. I had a wonderful experience and loved my surgeon. If you have the opportunity to have Dr. Chin, do it!

I started options last October, graduated The beginning of January, had surgery in March. To give a timeline.

Be sure to stay on top of appointments because they are really strict about us taking our health into our own hands and will not bug us for appointments. If you miss their call, CALL THEM BACK! They will not keep trying.

Best of luck and I am happy to answer any questions.

Edited by sleevie.wonder

Susan909,<br><br> My appointment that was scheduled this morning was canceled. I got a call this morning that the dr called out and to call for another appt. the earliest was in another 2 weeks. This is not good news for me. I work for a school district so I was trying to do the surgery ASAP so I can recover before school starts again. I asked about getting referred somewhere else. They said the the wait time for surgery at West la was 7 weeks anyway so they are referring me to South Bay since it is supposed to be the shortest wait time.<br><br> No I haven't tried Unjury yet. I am going to order a variety of sample packs and see if I can tolerate any. I tried Isopure and the taste shocked the crap out of my mouth so I am really scared to even taste anything else but it's got to be done.

I'm so sorry about your appointment! I know you were looking forward to getting your surgery date. Did they put you on a list to call you if an appointment becomes available? Please let me know whats going.

I had my surgery through So Cal Kaiser (Fontana) on March 5th. I had a wonderful experience and loved my surgeon. If you have the opportunity to have Dr. Chin, do it!<br><br> I started options last October, graduated The beginning of January, had surgery in March. To give a timeline. <br><br> Be sure to stay on top of appointments because they are really strict about us taking our health into our own hands and will not bug us for appointments. If you miss their call, CALL THEM BACK! They will not keep trying. <br><br> Best of luck and I am happy to answer any questions.[/quote

You moved thru Kaiser pretty fast. I have been really good about doing everything they've told/ asked me to do. I am excited to start my options class in July. How long was the pre-op liquid diet phase for you ? I've heard from two days to two weeks. I'm nervous about that part, I run out of energy kinda quick and I know it would be hard to do a liquid diet for two weeks!

I enjoyed the Options classes. They were very informative and I learned a lot. They went by fast for 12 weeks.

My surgeon had me on a 1200 calorie diet for the week preceding the surgery, and on Clear liquids for only a day before. Very manageable!

Thanks for answering. Is every surgeon a bit different in their requirements or are they pretty much the same? I can manage one or two days on a liquid diet no problem! I'm going to try and request your surgeon. I live in Riverside so Fontana would be perfect.

I would think that all Kaiser surgeons have the same requirements, I know that there are two surgeons that do the surgery (Dr. Chin & Dr. Fedorka) through the Fontana center and they both have the same requirements.

Where are you taking your Options classes? I think you would need to go to Fontana either way. You will love Dr. Chin, plus he's got a great track record. Been doing these surgeries for 15+ years. He's been with Kaiser for 3 of those years and says that he's only had 1 leak out of the 1,000+ surgeries he's done through Kaiser, and the guy did fine afterwards. I was sold after he told me that lol. I had no complications besides one of my incisions opening up and taking 6 weeks to heal, but it never got infected or anything.

Keep me updated!