Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hungry, 3 days out

Okay I had surgery Tuesday and have done quite well. Minimal pain and gas, nausea only once and getting all my fluids in. Problem? I'm starving. Shouldn't I not be hungry? I cannot eat until June 17th! That's forever from now! 11 days!!!! I'll be miserable. What have you all done? Am I the only hungry one??

Thats what they say: That all sleeve patients will lose all hunger for a long period of time (like 6-12 mths). It's only true in about 50% of sleevers. The rest of us get their hunger back soon (mine came back full force on day 10). I was on full liquids for 4 weeks so I had to wait an eternity before chewing.

Tips for getting thru it? I know of nothing but white knuckling it. Hot liquids (Soups, tea, etc) kept me satisfied better than cold stuff. I ate about 1/4 cup of Tomato or split pea Soup every 2 hrs. Drank 2 oz of Protein shake every hour or 2. And I was allowed yogurt (at the time I didn't like Greek yogurt, that has since changed) so I ate a carton a day - usually in 2 meals. That should help get u thru it.

Everyone goes thru it (at least for those unlucky of us to not lose hunger). When u start eating food again, ull be more satisfied. Right now it all goes right thru, none of it actually sticks. While I'm hungry often (I eat about every 2-3 hrs), only a few bites satiates me.

Good luck! Hope this time goes by quickly for u!

I had surgery on May 29th. I was on broth and Jello for 4 days. I am a week and a day out. Currently I can eat Soup including cream Soups, no chunks, cottage cheese, yogurt, string cheese (which I thought was odd and have not done). I was hungry on the broth and Jello but since transitioning to the 5-14 day phase I haven't been hungry. Can you not have any food until June 17th?

Thats what they say: That all sleeve patients will lose all hunger for a long period of time (like 6-12 mths). It's only true in about 50% of sleevers. The rest of us get their hunger back soon (mine came back full force on day 10). I was on full liquids for 4 weeks so I had to wait an eternity before chewing. Tips for getting thru it? I know of nothing but white knuckling it. Hot liquids (soups, tea, etc) kept me satisfied better than cold stuff. I ate about 1/4 cup of Tomato or split pea Soup every 2 hrs. Drank 2 oz of Protein Shake every hour or 2. And I was allowed yogurt (at the time I didn't like Greek yogurt, that has since changed) so I ate a carton a day - usually in 2 meals. That should help get u thru it. Everyone goes thru it (at least for those unlucky of us to not lose hunger). When u start eating food again, ull be more satisfied. Right now it all goes right thru, none of it actually sticks. While I'm hungry often (I eat about every 2-3 hrs), only a few bites satiates me. Good luck! Hope this time goes by quickly for u!

Thank you. So some are actually not hungry? I'm starving. Been trying to ignore it. Tomato Soup sounds amazing I'll try it. I've been hungry since the 2nd day. Sucks. :-(

I just posted the same thing! In 3 days out too! I called my doc about it. I told her I didn't think I could stay on Clear Liquids. She said, for me, that meant I was healing quickly with very little swelling. She moved me to the full liquid diet and said take it real slow.

Like the prior post, I got told with actual food you'll be more satisfied. I'm just staying positive. Call your doc and see if they will let you go to at least Protein shakes.

I had surgery on May 29th. I was on broth and Jello for 4 days. I am a week and a day out. Currently I can eat Soup including cream Soups, no chunks, cottage cheese, yogurt, string cheese (which I thought was odd and have not done). I was hungry on the broth and jello but since transitioning to the 5-14 day phase I haven't been hungry. Can you not have any food until June 17th?

Nope not supposed to have anything other than Clear Liquids, jello and Protein Shakes if I'm really hungry. I can't believe how hungry I am, but damn I am.

I was not hungry for months. Can some one talk to me about this one? Where I could find info on it and write it up? If this is an issue after surgery, for aftercare, maybe we need to talk about it. I'd certainly want to warn people as I didn't get any of this. Then again I was in the first year of those who got the sleeve (insurance approved any way, which is what most of us wait for).

I want to make sure though it is not head hunger though. Thanks!!!

I just posted the same thing! In 3 days out too! I called my doc about it. I told her I didn't think I could stay on clear liquids. She said, for me, that meant I was healing quickly with very little swelling. She moved me to the full liquid diet and said take it real slow. Like the prior post, I got told with actual food you'll be more satisfied. I'm just staying positive. Call your doc and see if they will let you go to at least Protein Shakes.< /p>

Disheartening I'm so hungry. :-( but I am. I've been trying to ignore it. Nope, no ignoring. Protein Shake helps a little. I'll go get another.

I thought clear liquids too but my dr. said no! Clear liquids the first24 hrs after surgery and then liquid only. So I would drink Protein Shake in am but be uncomfortable so went to 1/2 Protein Drink and crystal light the rest of the time with a small pudding once in a while. Just done with my 1 week post op and down 18.7lbs. You can do this.

I thought clear liquids too but my dr. said no! Clear liquids the first24 hrs after surgery and then liquid only. So I would drink Protein Shake in am but be uncomfortable so went to 1/2 Protein drink and crystal light the rest of the time with a small pudding once in a while. Just done with my 1 week post op and down 18.7lbs. You can do this.

Thank you so much for that. Don't know what I'd do without this site. I'm hanging in there.

You could be confusing your hunger with acid - that happened to me. I took a proton pump inhibitor (PPI) and that feeling went away. I knew something was up because I was feeling what I thought was hunger at odd times - when I shouldn't be hungry...

You could be confusing your hunger with acid - that happened to me. I took a proton pump inhibitor (PPI) and that feeling went away. I knew something was up because I was feeling what I thought was hunger at odd times - when I shouldn't be hungry...

Hmm good to know!!!!

I had my surgery 6/30 and constantly feel hungry!!!!! Im o n full liquids till Tuesd, which for my surgeon is cream Soups, Protein Shakes and pudding only :( i feel like im eating too much! Im losing weight but worried that im stretching my pouch :( please help!!!!

My surgeon told me at my two month follow up that my "hunger pains" I was feeling were not hunger pains in reality but a dehydration issue. I have struggled the entire time with getting my min fluids in, even pre surgery I had issues with dehydration, I simply don't like drinking fluids I suppose. So I really started to focus on drinking beyond my 48 oz minimum and those hunger pains went away. . Maybe it will help maybe it won't but it's worth a shot :)

Good luck everyone!