Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve here I come! All things Dr. Illan thread!

After much research, I picked a surgeon and am booked! Thank you everyone who helped me out. A special shout out to zmdh39 who wrote volumes educating me about how to pick a surgeon.

There were 3 surgeons I was seriously considering. Any one of them would have been acceptable to me. I also liked every coordinator I spoke with.

Each of us has a 'click factor' that just makes you feel a surgeon is right for you.

For me, that 'click factor' was Dr. Illan. Here is why:

> He graduated in the top of his class with honors. The university he went to is widely regarded as the leading university in the spanish speaking world including Spain and Portugal. (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Autonomous_University_of_Mexico) (Yes, I am using wikipedia as a source but I saw it other places too).

> He is the Chief of Emergency/Trauma surgery at a large hospital: https://www.facebook.com/pages/IMSS-Hospital-General-Regional-No1/164876160265331

He works at the ER hospital M-F from 7 to 2 pm. As chief, he does the hard stuff like gunshots etc. On days he has 3 bariatric surgeries booked, he has someone cover him at the ER hospital and does not go in. He only does 3 or 4 bariatric surgeries max a day. In other words, he is not exhausted nor doing an assembly line.

(A side note: There are a lot of mentions in various places of him being an 'assistant' to Dr. Ramos Kelly. Dr. Ramos has lost privileges from several hospitals for various rumored reasons. I asked about this association. Dr. Illan wasn't an 'assistant' like he was learning from Dr. Kelly. Since Dr.Illan is also a trauma/ER surgeon, the other bariatric surgeons like having him with them - it makes things that much safer in their own operating rooms So he has assisted many surgeons around Tijuana).

> He has 2 other surgeons in the room assisting him (so a total of 3 surgeons), plus 2 scrub nurses and a technician. He does the surgery himself - no ghost surgeons or students.

> He closes with 3 levels. 1. He does the 3 staple on each side thing using Johnson and Johnson with covidian staples (all surgeons I have researched do this). 2. He then sews a line from top to bottom behind the staple line (many do this but some just do the junctures where the staple cartridges were reloaded, and some don't at all). 3. Then he coats the staples with bio -glue (very few do this extra step).

He closes the outside incisions with sutures on the inside and glue on the outside.

> He does 3 leak tests (2 during surgery and 1 the day you check out of the hospital).

> Complication rate 1 in 500, leak rate 0 and infection rate 0. Talked with a patient who was standing with Omar getting ready to return to the USA where she works as a surgical scrub nurse. She said his sterile technique was excellent, and the OR has excellent technology. She said that the OR was, quite frankly, better than the OR she works out of in the USA.

> He tells you in advance of any extra pricing like hernia repair that might be needed.

> His coordinator, Omar, gets rave reviews as being very helpful and taking people around to shop and sight see etc. That's a bonus for my travel companion so she won't be bored, nor wandering around Tijuana on her own. Omar is well known for going waaaay above what many expect from their coordinator.

Tip: Just so you know, most people tip their coordinators regardless which surgeon they go to. I have heard that the usual tip is $100.00 (some tip more and some tip less) paid at the end of the trip. People also say to bring about $100.00 extra in small bills for incidentals and minor tipping of bell hops, housekeeping, waiters, room service, the wheelchair/cart person at the airport if you get one post op, the driver to and from the airport, etc.

> The package is 4,600 all inclusive: 5 nights (pre-op you stay in the hospital if you arrive in the evening), 2 more nights in the Florence Hospital, 2 nights in the Lucerna hotel. The hospital has a bed for your companion -not a cot or a lazy boy. Companion pays for their own meals (as is standard).

> He does not require an advance deposit. Omar, the coordinator, just asks you to send a photo of the money order once you have it to make sure the doctor's name is spelled right. You just pay when you get there.

Very important tip: Plan on taking the money order or cash because the Mexican government adds a 16% surcharge to credit cards. That would mean paying an additional $736.00! That doesn't even include your own bank's charges.

> Dr. Illan will do a skype conference with you to answer any questions you might have. His name is pronounced Iyyan or EEyan

> He has a thriving and supportive Facebook community of current, former and future patients willing to answer questions. Feel free to contact me here to get my name there (I change the display name for fun sometimes). You can find the facebook page here: Team Illan https://www.facebook.com/groups/138579759635044/

*I am editing this post as I learn more information.

Edited by Travelmego

Good for you! Congrats! What's your date?

I've been to Dr. Illan twice (once for myself @ then again with a relative 2.5 months later). He is indeed a thorough person! You're right- there are many great choices in terms of surgeons in Mexico. I think most people are fans of their surgeon similar to loving the college they went to (or whatever)-- very passionate & positive:).

Burning question, though:) ... are you using a phonetic version of his name deliberately? I def. made my check out to Dr. Jalil Illan Fraijo :)

Really enjoyed your post and your perspective!

Edited by rhw94123

@@CandyPants81 In Aug. When is yours again? You're in July right?

@@rhw94123 HAHA Fixed it. His name is pronounced Iyyan (as you know) and I have it stuck in my head now. My fingers just seem to type it from their own will.

Edited by Travelmego

July 22nd...so close and yet so far. Hehe

It feels like forever doesn't it? And yet, the time will probably fly by and I won't be prepared.

Dr Illan is in my top three as well. Can you tell me, does he do a single incision gastric sleeve? or the 5-incisions?

Just curious :)

I am hoping to be scheduled in August, too!

Hi,

I don't know if Dr. Illan does single. I know Dr. Garcia does but your BMI has to be lower than 40 and it costs 1,000 extra (from what I recall).

One thing I like about Dr. Illan is he does the 3 rows of staples (like everyone does), plus sews from top to bottom behind the staple line (not everyone does), and then uses a bio glue over the staples (few do). He closes the incisions with internal sutures and external glue.

Edited by Travelmego

awesome post! Loved my experience and love my sleeve :) Dr. Illan is a very talented surgeon and we have a great success stories in our group. Congrats on your choice of Dr's.

@@Travelmego , so we are going to have to same surgeon now! i cancelled my date with Lopez,

Edited by sosola

Sosola - I think you will like Dr. Illan. The coordinator is superb like everyone keeps raving about. I was on the Team Illan FB group saying how I wanted more information about the post surgery diet and he actually saw the FB post and called me while we were all still discussing it in the thread. He then sent out the information I had wanted and it was exactly what I was looking for. Impressive customer service.

Thanks Sherry and Rocky!

No problem chubtastic. Hopefully your insurance will cover it. Um, just wake up a few times during the test and choke a little lol. Ok, just kidding on that.