Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions for DS'ers

Hello all….

Hoping you can answer some questions for me….

I am interested in any information you can give me on DS from your experiences (good, bad and possibly ugly)

What is the protocol to get to surgery?

Pre-op and post-op diets/experiences (I know this will be different for all depending on doc)

How long is the surgery?

How long were you in the hospital?

How was your recovery? How long before back to work?

Are there foods you can/cannot eat?

Side effects from surgery?

Why did you chose this surgery?

This surgery is the one I know the least about and I have a family member who this procedure has been recommended for.

I had WLS surgery back in Sept (lap band w/plication) and am looking to find out more.

Thanks in advance for your responses! :)

A good reference for anyone looking into the DS (or any WLS for that matter, as the DS should at least be on everyone's radar along with the other mainline procedures) is

http://www.dsfacts.com/

My wife had a DS around nine years ago (and I'm three years out on a VSG.)

What is the protocol to get to surgery?

It should be the same as any other WLS, though you do have to find a DS qualified surgeon as it is a more technically challenging procedure than most other WLS, so many surgeons don't find it worthwhile for them to develop the requisite skills (but that also means that most of your experienced DS surgeons tend to come from the top of the class!) Go to a surgeon's seminar and become familiar with them and what they need to get the ball rolling; some insurance may require a PCP referral, so it pays to be knowledgeable about the procedure so that one can educate their PCP on it.

Pre-op and post-op diets/experiences (I know this will be different for all depending on doc)

As you note, there can be wide variation between docs' programs. Our doc doesn't do any pre-op diets other than the semi-usual day before bowel cleansing diet (similar to what's done before a colonoscopy.) Post op, progression is more rapid than many docs prescribe, with liquids, purees and soft Proteins like cheeses, yogurt and many seafoods for the first month and most everything else after that.

How long is the surgery?

IIRC, typically 2-4 hours, though can be longer depending upon complications that the patient may bring to the table (extreme obesity, adhesions from prior surgeries, etc.)

How long were you in the hospital?

3-4 days would be typical.

How was your recovery? How long before back to work?

IIRC, my wife took a month off, but she always milks these things - some may take longer while others may be able to get back to it sooner, depending upon the work.

Are there foods you can/cannot eat?

She became lactose intolerant, which is not unusual, and that has become worse over time - lactaid tablets with dairy don't do quite the job anymore. She has also become gluten sensitive, which may or may not have anything to do with the DS.

Side effects from surgery?

Similar to the RNY in that one needs to keep up on supplements and follow up labs, though the profile is somewhat different. Gas and stool can be rather aromatic at times as one would expect from incomplete digestion, though most work out what foods trigger problems so they can be avoided, and Probiotics can also be useful in helping the system adapt to its new reality.

Why did you chose this surgery?

Of the procedures readily performed at the time, neither the bands or bypass offered sufficient weightloss performance relative to their complications and side effects. The DS (and VSG) allows use of NSAID pain relievers which are a giant no-no with the bypass. The DS offers better regain resistance than any of the other mainstream WLS procedures, along with a generally more normal diet long term than most (no place for things to get stuck like there is in the bypass.)

YIKES….127 views and only 1 response….thanks so much @@rickm

All great info.

He had the seminar last night as a matter of fact and heard much of what you just said.

Good to hear other peoples experiences. Thanks for sharing your wife's with me.

Hope you are both doing well! :)

I noticed there are many VSG patients on the DS board giving out suggestions and tips some of which seem counter intuitive, how different is the diet and issues for each? It would seem from the malabsorption part of the DS that they would be very much different. I'm wondering about real world experience, I realize I could just Google this.

I'm having DS surgery July 7 th. My sister had it in November and has had no problems. I choose this type surgery because studies show that your less like to regain weight like some do with gastric bypass. I will be taking a lot of Vitamins and have to monitor my blood work more so than with gastric bypass. I have a lot of weight to loss and this is the best way.