Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone,

Here is my story. I was sleeved on November 26, 2012. I weighed 280 pounds at the time of surgery. Since then I have only lost 74 pounds and I weigh 206 pounds. I keep reading all these posts of people who lost that in 3 months, no problem. I'm happy with my loss, and I need another 56 pounds to go until my goal. But I am getting super discouraged. My weight has been shifting a lot lately about 5 pounds, which I feel is Water weight. Some days I'm heavier some days I'm lighter. But why is it taking me this long to lose the weight!? I exercise pretty regularly and 4-6 days a week I eat pretty well. Some days I fall off the wagon, who doesn't? But I wonder why it's taking so long and I'm getting really discouraged. I feel like I'm having to work extra, super hard like I did before my sleeve to only see little results. Again, why so long? Are others in the same boat as me or know someone who was or is but was/is still successful? Am I just losing patience with myself? You guys' thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated, thank you...

Have you checked with your doctor? I am really new at this (sleeved May 5) but I have dieted all my life. Take a really good look at what you are eating....are you consuming too many carbs, too much salt, too many calories? Write everything down. Some times we don't realize what we are eating and drinking.

Hello Polly,

I haven't checked with my Doctor because in a way, I'm kind of scared of what he might say or that I might feel more like a failure. It might be the sodium I didn't think about that. I'm kind of going paleo/slash slow carb(4 hour body) but haven't been counting calories as much. Do you think that might be the problem?

Correction everyone I was sleeved on the 27th.

If you are getting more carbs than Protein...that could be a problem. I have been there about dreading what the doctor might say. But I am going to urge you to put your pride on the back burner and get a professional opinion. Start a food journal so you can show the doctor what you have been eating. I hope you will do the journal for a week and then check back in here. I don't know if I can help but I will certainly try.

If you think you are a failure...You are not!!!!!!!!! the weight is fluctuating yes but not packing on. So you are doing things right.

I encourage you to get back to basics. And for now..Stop eating the bad stuff until you have got it under control again.....Try liquids for a few days..2-3

Back to Protein first ( dense Protein ) Veggies, fruit and carbs...Complex carbs....

1 cup of food at each meal and 64 oz of Water a day...Not including coffee or tea

If you find you are hungry after working out..A few nuts will do the trick.....

The only time we fail is when we give up and stop working at it..And you have not.....There is no option but to keep trying and working through your issues...There is no down time...It is the rest of your life....

I was sleeved on Nov.6 2012......what a year eh!!!!Congrats for coming back for help!!!! your going to make it..Maybe not today or tomorrow but it is not a race it is a new life style that we all have to embrace...forever! :)

Edited by RJ'S/beginning

I have a good friend who was sleeved 4 months before me. She started around 258, and she is just now around 198-200, almost 1 year out. On one hand it drives her crazy, but for the most part she lives with it. She exercises a lot, and her eating is pretty good as far as I know.

I think it's maybe too early for you to assume that the 74 pounds you've lost is going too slow. We all hit this differently. If you really want to see if it's you or the sleeve, you can always redouble your efforts now, eat really clean, and see how it goes.

Thank you very much Polly I Will try and do that. Thank you for your support. :)

Thank you ladies, I'm having a sigh of relief for a minute, lol. I don't know why I don't come to this forum more often!! I agree about getting back to basics too, I feel that will give me a good reset and start again from a better and healthier starting point. I will start this very, very soon and let y'all know how it goes!! You guys are great!!

My mom had gastric bypass about 5 years ago. She dropped about 60-70lbs quickly and then stayed at the upper 190's for almost 2.5 years. In the past 6 mos. she has dropped all her weight! She did change her eating habits (not super drastically though), but it just like clicked for her with her body. She went to the doctors last week and weighed 135lbs. and the doc. told her to NOT LOSE ANYMORE WEIGHT. She went clothes shopping and fit into a pant size 6!

Don't give up and keep plugging away.

t's been a long time since you had surgery, so maybe a review of the rules would help. Here's my version of them:

1. Consume 60-80 gm Protein per day and 60-80 oz of Clear liquids per day. Every day.
  2. Do not drink anything for at least 30 minutes before a meal or snack. If you forget and do drink, re-set the timer and wait another 30 minutes before you eat.
  3. Eat dense Protein first at every meal. Eat a very few bites of non-starchy veggie in addition if you have room.
  4. Decide how many meals and/or protein Snacks you're going to have per day, and stick to it.
  5. Do not eat between meals.
  6. Wait at least 30 minutes after every meal or snack before drinking anything. If your mouth gets really dry you could rinse after eating or brush your teeth.

I avoid alcohol because I'm concerned it would decrease my ability to resist bad food choices.

I follow a very low carb plan rather than counting calories, but that's a personal choice for each of us.

Follow the numbered rules at least 90% of the time, and you will succeed. For the other 10%, do not beat yourself up - just get back on the wagon immediately and Sleeve On!

Best wishes.

Edited by JeanZ_RN

Awe' thank you so much! That list is going to be super helpful!! I'm so glad I posted on here tonight.

Thank you all of you for the sweet and inspiring words, it has helped so much!! Thank you for your story too jdmama!

Just my $0.02, but I'd sure look at what your food is comprised of. I have gone ultra low carb in the last few months. books like Gary Taub's Good Calories, Bad Calories and also Grain Brain have been real eye openers for me. I don't count calories any more, I just count carbs. I do have high carb treats on occasion, maybe 10-20% of the time, but generally I shoot for no more then 45 carbs a day now and no more than 15 carbs at a time. I did a max of 60 carbs a day during my big loss period, but I have lowered it for maintenance indefinitely. I don't want to gain back an ounce. I eat all the Protein and fat I want (which obviously isn't that much with the sleeve). I never go hungry. Since I have started this new routine a few months ago, I have gone from size 8 to size 6 with no weight change. Good luck to you.

When I decided to get the sleeve my surgeon tried to talk me out of it because all his sleeved patients would lose around a 100 pounds. I didn't believe him but it does seem like a pretty large majority of sleevers have this issue. I have 60 more to lose (1 year 8 months out *cringe*) Ill just harder at changing food choices! Good Luck :)