Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im sure there is a thread out there but....

I got my approval and am getting my Gastric Bypass done on the 24th of June. I'm considering it my new birthday. Does any one have pointers on getting ready the last few weeks before surgery? Thank you all and be blessed!!!

Well congrats on your new birthday. I would say the one thing I think is a must do is your official before picture. My husband and I went to the local zoo and took a picture. I went back there for my one year anniversary and took a picture in the exact same place. We will be going back at the beginning of June for my 2 year anniversary. It is a great way to Celebrate and really see your changes.

We also went to celebrate our wedding anniversary at the same place. They have taken our picture each year. You can really see the transformation.

Finally write down your goals for post op. Try not to focus on the number on the scale. Focus on non scale goals. When you reach a goal mark it off and think of a new one. You will be amazed at what things you can accomplish and come up with!

Good luck and remember we are all here for you!!

post-187341-0-49065800-1400724832_thumb.jpg

post-187341-0-66942200-1400724843_thumb.jpg

Wow music1618 you look fantastic.... Yes I want to do a picture on the same day as my surgery every month. I have came to far and I've now waited about 11 years for this surgery (long story). I finally getting my biggest dream and I cannot wait. I just want to be able to simple everyday things. People just do not understand what's its like not being to do those everyday things they take for granted. And, it's not cause I'm lazy lol I would love to do all they do but, my day is coming :)

Wow music1618 you look fantastic.... Yes I want to do a picture on the same day as my surgery every month. I have came to far and I've now waited about 11 years for this surgery (long story). I finally getting my biggest dream and I cannot wait. I just want to be able to simple everyday things. People just do not understand what's its like not being to do those everyday things they take for granted. And, it's not cause I'm lazy lol I would love to do all they do but, my day is coming :)

You will discover a whole new you!! It is an exciting time in your life. Enjoy the ride, and remember that when you have your first stall at about 1 month post op it is normal and don't freak out. It will pass and it does not mean you have stopped losing weight!

You will discover a whole new you!! It is an exciting time in your life. Enjoy the ride, and remember that when you have your first stall at about 1 month post op it is normal and don't freak out. It will pass and it does not mean you have stopped losing weight!
I've made up my mind I'm not going to weigh but on my surgery day each month I do not even own a scale. I've had to many to become obsessive about weighing and how much they've lost or didn't loose and frankly it's exhausting! Lol

@music1618 Those are some great ideas -- something I wouldn't have thought of.

Thanks for sharing.

I recommend that you make sure to get your walking in, it will help with managing the soreness after surgery.

The before picture is a good idea. I took a selfie of me in a bathing suit before the surgery. I took the photo from the four angles. Not an enjoyable picture for me to look at. But then after surgery I took an after picture. Same 4 poses. I combined the two photos in a side by side comparison. It was an dramatic eye opener. You can see it at http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Operation.jpg It is hard to believe 6 months would make that much difference.

You might try experimenting with Protein shakes. Finding one that you can tolerate and meets the requirements of an acceptable Protein shake. I bought a blender. I found out that trying to mix the powders with a shaker bottle just did not mix it to the degree needed to make it palatable.

I would also recommend taking measurements. I do neck, forearm, wrist, bicep, bust (no boobs), waist, hips, upper thigh and calves. Phew!! A lot right. But sometimes you can see loss of inches when you hit a plateau. There a couple of free apps to track your weight, bmi, etc. Lastly don't overpack for the hospital...;) just the basics and great Chapstick!

All good advice here! I started an art journal with thoughts, phrases, pictures of skinny looks I liked, bathing suits I liked, comments about what I was looking forward to, measurements, etc. it got me really pysched and it was a great release of energy and thoughts. I also tried tons of Protein drinks and learned what I liked or didn't like. My tastes for Protein shakes is specific and I don't like most so it is good to try samples or singles only. Enjoy the journey!

All good advice here! I started an art journal with thoughts, phrases, pictures of skinny looks I liked, bathing suits I liked, comments about what I was looking forward to, measurements, etc. it got me really pysched and it was a great release of energy and thoughts. I also tried tons of Protein drinks and learned what I liked or didn't like. My tastes for Protein shakes is specific and I don't like most so it is good to try samples or singles only. Enjoy the journey!

Thank you for that idea I have never did scrap booking but I would love to scrapbook my journey a journal is a must lol thank you for such a great idea.

Sounds a little crazy -- but I've cut pictures out of magazines or catalog of healthy looking active women -- especially from bicycling or active wear catalogs. I have them stuck on the door of my walkin closet so I have something to look forward to.

Honestly, I just enjoyed my time with family and friends. You'll be stuck inside (or at least I am) not doing much of anything for a couple weeks. Some people get up and go from surgery though so it's just a thought for me!

Also, I enjoyed my favorite junk foods I'd never be able to eat (probably) again.

I do not think I will be popular with this, but :eat. Please eat your fav meals one last time and enjoy every bite of it. Most likely you will be able to eat them even after your surgery, but somehow nothing tastes the same. Eating lost it's magic. It is rather a struggle now. Losing weight is amazing, fantastic, but oh my how I miss food... :) Good luck to you on your journey!

Tigerlilly,

Looks like you are on your way. Any tips? Scheduled for 8/18.