Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight During/After Pregnancy

Hi there,

I'm just over a year out and 20 weeks pregnant. I've lost 100+ (it fluctuates) lbs (pre pregnancy).

My OB and I discussed my weight history, my past pregnancies, and my current pregnancy and she gave me they ok to not gain (but not lose) any weight. If I do gain, we hope it's less than 10-15 lbs. So far I'm right on track at 163 and my baby is growing just as s/he should. I even have a bit of a bump showing!

My questions for you are...

How much weight did you plan to gain?

How much did you actually gain?

How did you stay on track with your weight during pregnancy?

How much weight did you have to lose after birth?

Were you able to lose the weight and what was that like compared to your pre-pregnancy sleeve weight loss?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply!

Hi :). I'm still pregnant (35 weeks), but I will answer what I can.

I lost 13lbs from hyperemesis. Not fun at all, but it is what it is. At that point- my surgeon told me to eat what stayed down. I was 10 months out when I got pregnant and down almost 100. I got to 2lbs from goal with my pregnancy loss ;).

I was 155 on my docs scale (which weighs 6lbs heavier than mine at home) and got down to 142.5 on their scale. I planned to gain 10-15lbs. At 35 weeks I was 152.5 on my docs scale yesterday. My doctor is completely happy with this. It's been hard for me to gain honestly. My restriction is still there big time- especially now that baby is so big (and I'm not- I'm 4'11 with a short torso- so he is taking up every little bit of room he can).

My goal is 135 on my home scale and I know I will get there. I'm not too worried about it currently as I'm planning to breastfeed and I will have to keep my calories around 1500-1800 to keep my supply. So- I will not even worry about trying to lose anymore until he is weaned.

I will say even at my height and weight- I'm wearing small and XS maternity clothes and even they are baggy sometimes. I haven't gained anywhere except my belly- and I have definitely gained there ;). Kiddo is measuring perfectly (actually according to my last ultrasound he was showing 3 weeks ahead by measurements) and my fundal height is off by about that much as well :).

I will keep you updated with what happens once he is here- which could be any day now.

I too am 35 weeks... but have no idea lol... i was only 3 weeks post op when i got pregnant (scary) and kept losing big time... Once I started to gain (barely anytying) I lost it... started freaking out. Surgeon and OB told me not to look at the scale so I dont. I haven't looked at my weight In about 2.5 months and then I had only gained back 3 of the combined 70 lbs I had lost during pre op and since surgery.

I lost 130 pounds. Got pregnant 1.5 years out from surgery. Gained 70 pounds and only lost 40 of it. Now I am pregnant again.

I was 8 mos out when I became preg. I am now 18 days from delivery and have gained 37. I wanted to maintain and not gain but it did not happen even though I eat as much as my 3 year old.

I got pregnant at 18 months out and I was 2 lbs from goal. I gained 71lbs. I'm 6 weeks post partum and I have lost 30 lbs so far. I'm taking adipex to try and get at least 20 of the other 40lbs off by December.

Did anyone have a comparison to how much they gained in a pre surgery pregnancy?

We are starting to try even though it hasn't been a year yet. It took us 3 years the first pregnancy.

I have lost 65 lbs post surgery and am 30 lbs down from my weight when I got pregnant before. So I still feel healthier. For that pregnancy I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes and I ate right on plan to limit carbs so I ended up losing like 10 pounds until the last month where I gained 20 so only 10 pounds while pregnant. And lost it right away post partum.

I am hopeful and maybe delusional that I can so the same again and it won't totally sabotage my loss. I'm healthier now too so my blood sugar is better already though I will probably still get GD.

Did anyone have a comparison to how much they gained in a pre surgery pregnancy? We are starting to try even though it hasn't been a year yet. It took us 3 years the first pregnancy. I have lost 65 lbs post surgery and am 30 lbs down from my weight when I got pregnant before. So I still feel healthier. For that pregnancy I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes and I ate right on plan to limit carbs so I ended up losing like 10 pounds until the last month where I gained 20 so only 10 pounds while pregnant. And lost it right away post partum. I am hopeful and maybe delusional that I can so the same again and it won't totally sabotage my loss. I'm healthier now too so my blood sugar is better already though I will probably still get GD.

My first pregnancy I gained 70!!!! Yikes!!! I was horrible!!! I think I even had undiagnosed GD late in the third trimester since my son was 10 lbs 3 oz!! With my second I only gained 16 lbs due to the GD diet. I had it extremely early in the first trimester and ended up on insulin halfway through the pregnancy. Had my surgery and got pregnant only 2 months post op! Oops!!! I'm 37 weeks and haven't gained a pound. I've lost a total of 111 lbs since surgery 50+ of which were after finding out I was pregnant!! Most important NO GD!!!! My numbers have been no where close to the limits!!! So it is possible to not get it!

Did anyone have a comparison to how much they gained in a pre surgery pregnancy? We are starting to try even though it hasn't been a year yet. It took us 3 years the first pregnancy. I have lost 65 lbs post surgery and am 30 lbs down from my weight when I got pregnant before. So I still feel healthier. For that pregnancy I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes and I ate right on plan to limit carbs so I ended up losing like 10 pounds until the last month where I gained 20 so only 10 pounds while pregnant. And lost it right away post partum. I am hopeful and maybe delusional that I can so the same again and it won't totally sabotage my loss. I'm healthier now too so my blood sugar is better already though I will probably still get GD.

I was 218 lbs when I got pregnant with twins pre-sleeve. I gained 30 lbs and didn't ever lose them really.

That's what I can't understand about gaining so much post sleeve. Many people get pregnant shortly after surgery so there are tons of stories about people losing weight while pregnant. I'm never that lucky!

Thanks for sharing ladies! No guarantees it sounds like. But there's hope I could continue to lose and avoid GD.

I have been reading articles that say your genetics and other factors outweighs compliance at the beginning after surgery. Then as time goes on it flip flops for maintaining your loss and forward progress. Makes sense but frustrating! And everyone reacts differently to pregnancy. There's so much we still don't know about our bodies!

I had my son July 25th of this year. I lost 26 lbs between the first and second trimester. I gained 3 lbs in the last trimester. After I gave birth I lost 10lbs of everything in there I am assuming. Now I am at 318 when the first day I went to the doctor I was 365 at 6 weeks 5 days.

Hi there,

I'm just over a year out and 20 weeks pregnant. I've lost 100+ (it fluctuates) lbs (pre pregnancy).

My OB and I discussed my weight history, my past pregnancies, and my current pregnancy and she gave me they ok to not gain (but not lose) any weight. If I do gain, we hope it's less than 10-15 lbs. So far I'm right on track at 163 and my baby is growing just as s/he should. I even have a bit of a bump showing!

My questions for you are...

How much weight did you plan to gain?

How much did you actually gain?

How did you stay on track with your weight during pregnancy?

How much weight did you have to lose after birth?

Were you able to lose the weight and what was that like compared to your pre-pregnancy sleeve weight loss?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply!

How did the rest of your pregnancy go? I'm curious what your answers to your own questions are =)