Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post surgery and depression

I started out at 191 pounds, I have since lost 45. Looking at myself in the mirror I find my self disgusting to look at :( Im going on Wellbutrin to help. Does anyone else feel this way?

post-192550-0-62443900-1395729378_thumb.jpg

post-192550-0-22305100-1395729436_thumb.jpg

Wow you look great btw...oh my gosh i bet there are many people who feel that way ...and probably me ...i am leaving in 6.5 hrs surgery on Wed...im 260 lbs :(... its a huge change although 60 lbs has been gained over 5..7 yrs...so although ive been overweight all my life i was able to stabilize at varios weights for yrs..from 160 ..then 170...190...210 and boom 260...no stability so im hoping i dont run into your situation...but wow...who would ..could i be at 145lbs?? Thats pretty close to half of me...am i prepared for it?? Oh sports and activity wise i am...cannot wait to go golfing...and ziplining..maybe try watersking again...lol...well even regular winter skiing... have you always been heavy ..that is maintaing that weight for say 20 yrs?this could be why. You might find the losing friends chat forum of high interest as this could be one of the issues...changes in all your relationships...esp yourself...maybe see a counsellor and dig out why you feel "guilt". Try ti stay focused on the positives youve gained...no more sleep apnea...no more heart medicatiins...no more diabetes...or GERD... Reaching out is a great start...good for you...stay strong! Gtg...need sleep ..ttyl

Thank you Sillyolme, for responding. I will have to check out the "the losing friends chat forum". When I got married and had my 3 kids, the weight crept and crept along. My mom all in my highschool years had me on every diet that came out and I was probably a 32" waist I wasn't heavy but in her eyes I was. I developed Type 2 and control it with insulin and exercise my diabetes has not gone away. However I take alot less than I used to and maybe someday it will all just go away and no more shots for me.Good luck with your surgery and stay in touch :)

quick reply sorry in in recovery....surgery went well today...did you find that forum...hope it helpful...ttys

I had surgery 6 days ago and I feel really ugly. My skin is so dry... i'm still in lots of pain and in bed a lot. I hope things get better when I'm more mobile. Your picture looks great :-)

Ranchbrat, you look great in your picture!

April, I am just over three weeks out and I felt pretty icky at first, too. Now, the pain is better but I feel depressed! It just started. Everything has been going well with my progress. I don't feel deprived. food and liquids go down well (maybe even too well). I am very happy with my decision and I just wish the weight loss was faster! LOL. Nonetheless, I feel so sad and lethargic. I have read several forums and it sounds like this is normal. Things should improve by week 6-7. All we can do is hang in there. :)

I am expecting that I will experience some angst as my weight decreases. Loose skin is definitely a concern. Perhaps focusing on the improvement in life quality will help with body image issues later on.

April, I am just over three weeks out and I felt pretty icky at first, too. Now, the pain is better but I feel depressed! It just started. Everything has been going well with my progress. I don't feel deprived. food and liquids go down well (maybe even too well). I am very happy with my decision and I just wish the weight loss was faster! LOL. Nonetheless, I feel so sad and lethargic. I have read several forums and it sounds like this is normal. Things should improve by week 6-7. All we can do is hang in there. :)<br><br>

I am expecting that I will experience some angst as my weight decreases. Loose skin is definitely a concern. Perhaps focusing on the improvement in life quality will help with body image issues later on.

Kim I'm sorry you're feeling depressed. This surgery has so much build up (like christmas) and then its really not that fast of a life changer. I wish the results were more instant. I hope after I get my staples out, I'll feel like working out. I already take prozac so hopefully that will still work. I guess we just have to view this as a tool we've been given and make the most of it.

Hey ranchbrat you do look great. I am suffering from body morphing disorder as well. I workout 2 times a day and eat around 1200 calories HEALTHY calories and enough Protein. I can't lose weight at all I'm stuck at 170 to 176 keeps going up and down. I can't tell you how many days I've cried I am frustrated I always get bloodwork and it's always good. I am waiting on hormonal blood work. Sucks when you do everything right and still feel disgusted or you are stuck. Good luck though and you look great!

I am 11 months post-op. It took me 6 months to get to my happy state. I experienced a lot of little issues along the way. I noticed that the skin in my face began to wrinkle really bad. It was like paper thin crinkles and it made me look like I was 100 years old. My wife suggested that I try Bio-Oil available at CVS. I put it on my face each morning when I get up and that takes care of the wrinkles. I really didn't know how much fun it would be buying new clothes before the surgery. Anyways, just here to tell you there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I felt like that also, so depressed but got up and walked or did things I enjoyed anyway and at 6 weeks out it is so much better. I regretted my decision so much, especially when I was out with friends for lunch or dinner. I had a meltdown at week 4 and had some wine, felt better and am no longer regretting it as much now. Hang in there and it will get better. AND you look great, be proud of what you have lost so far. Hugs to you

@@ranchbrat

I'd just like to encourage you to talk to your doctors and be brutally honest about how you feel Depression is very serious and it may not be related at all to your weight loss. When you're depressed, the last thing you want to do is reach out to get help -- it's like deciding on this surgery -- you get all kinds of advice to "just exercise and eat less" but that really doesn't work for some of us or you just can't make it happen. Some people will tell you with depression that you should just "get over it" or "focus on the good things in life" but sometimes you just can't make that happen and you need help like meds.

I hope you get the help you need and start to feel better soon. You've changed your life so much recently and just need some help to get through this down period.

Best wishes!

I am 1 year out and even though I am grateful for my decision and losing 130 lbs, I can't stand looking at me... I'm 35 and I feel like my body looks like im 60.....my boobs are no longer there ...all this saggy skin and dry...everything is dry , my skin my scalp , etc.

Wow you look great btw...oh my gosh i bet there are many people who feel that way ...and probably me ...i am leaving in 6.5 hrs surgery on Wed...im 260 lbs :(... its a huge change although 60 lbs has been gained over 5..7 yrs...so although ive been overweight all my life i was able to stabilize at varios weights for yrs..from 160 ..then 170...190...210 and boom 260...no stability so im hoping i dont run into your situation...but wow...who would ..could i be at 145lbs?? Thats pretty close to half of me...am i prepared for it?? Oh sports and activity wise i am...cannot wait to go golfing...and ziplining..maybe try watersking again...lol...well even regular winter skiing... have you always been heavy ..that is maintaing that weight for say 20 yrs?this could be why. You might find the losing friends chat forum of high interest as this could be one of the issues...changes in all your relationships...esp yourself...maybe see a counsellor and dig out why you feel "guilt". Try ti stay focused on the positives youve gained...no more sleep apnea...no more heart medicatiins...no more diabetes...or GERD... Reaching out is a great start...good for you...stay strong! Gtg...need sleep ..ttyl

I wished my diabetes had gone away, I take less insulin but it stayed with me unfortunately. I didn't start getting heavy until after my first child was born, however I was always under 200 pounds. Im in the process of digging out where the gult is stemming from. I find that eating salty stuff I blow up, such as low fat crackers, or anything with added sodium. Good luck to you and thank you for your comment :)

I am 1 year out and even though I am grateful for my decision and losing 130 lbs, I can't stand looking at me... I'm 35 and I feel like my body looks like im 60.....my boobs are no longer there ...all this saggy skin and dry...everything is dry , my skin my scalp , etc.

I am sorry to hear about your problems. I am 65 years old and after the surgery, my face developed very fine wrinkles. Overnight I began to look like I was 100 years old. My wife suggested I use a product called Bio-Oil on my face. I picked some up at CVS and it worked well. The fine wrinkles are gone. It's funny but the one part of the body that most people look at the most is the face. And if your face looks bad, it can get depressing.