Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

questions that keep coming up

So, my surgery is set for March 28th with Dr. Strohm in NJ. I'm excited and nervous. I keep thinking about stupid things like "will I be able to eat sushi again? How hard is it to never drink with a meal as I realize now I wash almost every sip down with a few guzzles. How hard is it to never have a beer or seltzer like I enjoy now? I'm going to Disney this summer, what if I'm outside in the sweatering heat and can't get enough Water down?

You will absolutely be able to eat sushi again :) You just might not want the rice with it. For many of us, rice is too heavy and uncomfortable in our tiny tummies. But no worries! Sushi without rice is still yummy!My favorite is sashimi (or poke) wrapped in nori. Yum! And high protein!

You should start practicing the no drinking with your meal thing. It does take a while to get used to, and I usually pop my chewable Vitamins or a sugarfree min right after eating to help signal to myself the end of the meal. But with practice, the no drinking while eating thing gets to be second nature.

I've always loved beer, pierre, club soda. However, it's no so appealing to me now. I've had a few sips and ...<shrug> it's no longer appealing. It is said that carbonation can be anywhere from damaging to painful on tiny tummies. Some people on the board difiantly indulge anyway and claim no problems. Ask your surgeon and or NUT. I think like with many things, after you're all healed and can have whatever you want, you may ultimately find you don't miss it all that much anyways.

As far as Disney goes -- you should be a couple of months out by then. Valid concern to be careful to not get dehydrated. You just have to carry Water with you and sip sip sip all through the day. It too will become second nature!

good luck to you on your journey!!

Sushi- I eat it a few times a month with no rice, love it.

Not drinking with meals- it's no big deal now. I don't even think of it anymore.

Beer- can't help you there, I've never drank beer.

Disney- please make sure you get enough fluids and food while on vacation. I failed to do so at a football game a couple months out- I seriously thought I was going to die.

Good luck! :)

So, my surgery is set for March 28th with Dr. Strohm in NJ. I'm excited and nervous. I keep thinking about stupid things like "will I be able to eat sushi again? How hard is it to never drink with a meal as I realize now I wash almost every sip down with a few guzzles. How hard is it to never have a beer or seltzer like I enjoy now? I'm going to Disney this summer, what if I'm outside in the sweatering heat and can't get enough Water down?

I was really worried about not drinking while eating, I use to drink three glasses of ice tea during dinner, but no more. I TRIED to stop prior to surgery but couldn't, but afterwards, it has been no problem. My doctor's instructions are, no drinking for 30 mins after eating, but I can drink up until I start eating. When eating out, I try and get two glasses of ice Water with lemon, down beforehand. I have no problem getting all my liquids in now, but early on, it was difficult.

Sushi - I have never had it, but I know people at my meetings that enjoy post op, mostly without rice. Rice and Pasta are two things that seem to multiply in size when eaten. I can eat approx 2 TB of rice with Chinese or Thai....pasta, a fourth of a cup of less with a half cup of meat sauce.....of course I am almost four years out, I wasn't always able to eat this much!

I have probably never had a full beer, if you add up all the sips over the past 35 years, so I don't miss it at all. I did like an occasional Captain Morgan 'n coke.....or Crown 'n coke, but no more. I wasn't a big drinker before, and I'd say I have a drink now as often as I did before. Maybe one or two every few months. I'll have Malibu Rum with pineapple juice or a choc martini. You'll be fine and you'll get the hang of it!

Thanks! Means a lot to me