Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone:

I was sleeved on 2/21 and did fine at first. About a week out, I was hospitalized with abdominal pain and nausea. They couldn't find anything physically wrong and treated the symptoms and sent me home.

Today, I woke up with the worst nausea I've ever had. I've vomited 9-10 times so far. Had an appt with my surgeon, and all he said was that this can sometimes be a side effect of VSG. Would have been nice to know that beforehand. He also prescribed nausea meds that haven't helped and had me go get 2 liters of Fluid through an IV.

I'd love to hear if anyone has or is experiencing this. It would be great to know that I'm not alone.

Hi there, I am so sorry to hear this. My husband and I never once have felt bad or nauseated in 3 months but just wanted to say I hope this passes soon and that you feel better! :-(

I had horrible nausea for the first 3 days after surgery, but it passed. I am sorry you feel so sick, but good for you for advocating for yourself. You know your body, so keep fighting and speaking up until you feel better or until they discover the source of your problems. Good luck and good health to you.

I was sleeved 1/07/14. I never had that issue UNTIL recently. About a week ago I threw up for the first time since surgery due to nausea. I threw up about 4 times, went to ER cause of dehydration. Today I saw my surgeon to being up why I don't have an appetite and asked why everything makes me sick to my stomach and all I got were dumb looks and he made me feel stupid. ( dr. Bonner in Houston, TX) I STILL have no answer. Plus, I'm a slow loser.

I'm sorry I can't give u answers but at least u know you are not alone. Praying for the both of us lol :/

Hi there, I am so sorry to hear this. My husband and I never once have felt bad or nauseated in 3 months but just wanted to say I hope this passes soon and that you feel better! :-(

Thank you, Linda. (Btw I'm Linda too).

I was sleeved 1/07/14. I never had that issue UNTIL recently. About a week ago I threw up for the first time since surgery due to nausea. I threw up about 4 times, went to ER cause of dehydration. Today I saw my surgeon to being up why I don't have an appetite and asked why everything makes me sick to my stomach and all I got were dumb looks and he made me feel stupid. ( dr. Bonner in Houston, TX) I STILL have no answer. Plus, I'm a slow loser. I'm sorry I can't give u answers but at least u know you are not alone. Praying for the both of us lol :/

That's how I feel too. It feels like my surgeon is narrowly focused on the procedure itself, but he's basically lost when it comes to after care. TBH, I got much better care at the ER on Saturday than I did yesterday after meeting with him.

So far today, I'm feeling a little better. I threw up a few times overnight and still feel a but queasy, but I've had some Water and have kept it down for about an hour. I hope today is better...

I was sleeved 1/07/14. I never had that issue UNTIL recently. About a week ago I threw up for the first time since surgery due to nausea. I threw up about 4 times, went to ER cause of dehydration. Today I saw my surgeon to being up why I don't have an appetite and asked why everything makes me sick to my stomach and all I got were dumb looks and he made me feel stupid. ( dr. Bonner in Houston, TX) I STILL have no answer. Plus, I'm a slow loser. I'm sorry I can't give u answers but at least u know you are not alone. Praying for the both of us lol :/

Thank you Ashlynn. It helps to know that I'm not alone. It can be frustrating bc it often seems that a lot of folks here haven't experienced any of this, and I wish I was progressing faster. It kinda sucks to be on Clear Liquids about a week and a half out, but I have discovered a whole new appreciation for ice Water like never before. :)

I was sleeved on January 8. I have days of nasua and throwing up.

Sent to quick. Sorry.

The throwing up is going away but not the sick feeling several days a week. My doc says it's a side effect too. People ask if it's from over eating but it's not. I can wake up like this and be sick all day without hardly eating. Sometimes I just wish I felt better for a few days straight. It's getting better but it can still knock me on my butt. I'm a slow loser too so it makes it frustrating too. Hang in there. It will get better. My doc says our stomachs are angry from the surgery and it can take 9-12 months or that to go away. It's so great we can share all this on here and not feel alone. Thank you for sharing.

You are not alone. I was sleeved 12/17/13 and from the minute I woke up I had sever nausea. This lasted for 6 weeks straight. I had to go to an infusion center 2 times for I.v. fluids due to sever dehydration. I tried 4 different anti nausea medications and 2 different antacids with out any success. Finally on the 6 week mark I was put on aciphex for my acid and started eating solid food. Up until this point I could not tolerate anything, even Water. The only thing I could now stomach was ruffles potato chips with american cheese melted on top. Not ideal to say the least but it stayed in and gave me a little energy. After about 4 day of that concoction, I started eating other things and slowly came back to life. I still can not seem to get in enough water or Protein :(

I also wish I would have known nausea was a real side effect before having surgery however if I would have known how bad I was going to have it, I probably would have chickened out.

The only bad thing is that, as soon as I started eating, I stopped loosing. I dropped 40lbs in that first 6 weeks. Since then I have lost 2 more pounds but that has been in the last couple days because I finally felt well enough to exercise.

Having gone through it, here is what I recommend:

Puke and ralley- drink water even if it come out to avoid dehydration and having to get fluids through an I.v.

Eat what you think you can stomach even if it is carbs. At this point you need to recover any way you can.

Make sure your acid is under control with medication.

Hang in there, you are most definitely not alone but it does get better.

Hi Shirlyn:

Thanks so much for sharing. I'm following your advice: drinking and puking.

I had IV fluids on Monday, and the nurses were pretty horrible. Made me look like someone beat me up. They missed the vein, so Water was leaking out of my arm after I got home.

The Zofran was making me vomit, so the dr. has now issued a prescription for Patches. I don't want to put all my eggs in this basket, but it's been so awful that I really am. I hope this works. I'll keep you posted.

I am so sorry to hear you are having such a rough time. The Patches worked like a miracle for me but after a week I started to build a tolerance for them and they started causing me side effects. (Dry mouth, metal taste, blurred vision, dizziness, irritation/ rash where the patch was placed) My surgeon said it was probably even causing my nausea, so be careful. It was the only thing that stopped the vomiting so I became dependent on them. I just did everything I could to get through the hard times and not end up back in the hospital, sounds like you are doing the same. Remember, it will get better in time. I would still do it all over again for the 40lbs I have lost and the way I feel now. Feel free to private message me :)

Hi Chelsea:

I don't think that sneezing will hurt any.