Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was hoping to find a thread about this on the forum, but so far haven't been able to find it. If there is one, I would deeply appreciate it if someone could share the link to it!

I'd like to know what sorts of things I need to buy before surgery to prepare for my new life. From reading various books and posts on BP I have come up with the following list...please share if you know of other helpful items!

*Bathroom scale (no, I really don't have one!)

*kitchen scale (for measuring food)

*set of measuring cups and spoons (I have some, but ordering a better set from Amazon since I will be using them ALL the time)

*small, demitasse spoons (to help with taking smaller bites)

*set of rubber spatulas to help wipe food out of measuring cups

*tiny skillet, just right for cooking one egg

*blender

*small food processor

*several different flavors of Protein Powder

*several different flavors of sugar-free Torani syrups

*case of ready-to-drink Protein shakes and Protein Bars, for grab-and-go meals

*ice cube trays (for freezing small portions of food)

Those of you who have used a small food processor, which one do you like? Is the "Magic Bullet" more of a blender or food chopper, and do you like it? Anything else you have found helpful?

Thanks so much for your help!

Blender Ball container is very useful. I was going to use my blender but it makes the Protein powder foam up so much. Blender Ball works much better for Protein shakes.

Crystal light individual "go" packets to boost Protein Powder flavor,, especially if you are going to use the nectar Proteins like fuzzy navel.

Herbal tea - especially peppermint. It will sooth your new sleeve right after surgery.

Definitely some smaller plates (and bowls if you want also), paper or glass. It makes the smaller portion not seem so small. I got really pretty pink paper plates.

I have a small ninja - not the blender, but more of an electronic chopper that purées. I use that and my electronic food scale every day three times a day.

Me personally I would cross off bathroom scale I don’t have one myself and only have my weight checked at the hospital or doctors.

Lots of people step on the scale once a day some even several times a day for me that’s a big ole no thank you!

I would not bother with ice cube trays I would go to the $1/£1 store and pick up a couple of packs of baby food containers you can get them really small in my shop 12 in a pack.

They also come in really handy to put meds in for on the go or dressing/sauce later on down the line etc

Agree with the shaker cup with the wire ball whisk I do put mine in a blender to make my shakes but I don’t drink the fast enough and i make 4 at a time so the ball whisks them up and blends them before drinking if they have been sitting in the fridge.

Get some Decaf tea bags if you have a aversion to cold drinks hot decaf tea is perfect.

Again not a fan of flavoured fruit teas myself so good ole fashioned normal tea for me.

I didn’t go out of my way to buy measuring cups spoon blenders etc already have them in the house as I cook and bake a lot but puree stage you will need some sort of thing even if it’s a hand held one.

I wouldn’t pre buy a whole load of Protein powders either out tastes change after the op so if you have spent a lot of money stocking up you might have to do what I did and give it all away and start again as nothing I liked pre opt tasted good post op.

I would also suggest some good quality prune juice and when the going all the time stage ends and you enter the not at all stage start drinking a glass a day as the Constipation stage is right around the corner and its pretty bad plus prune juice is a liquid and will count as Fluid intake for the day and a natural mover to get you going.

Make sure to buy your Vitamins up front, too. I spent 2 days trying to find all the right Vitamins I needed. I've learned so much about vitamins recently.

Also, if you have an 8" non stick frying pan, that should suffice. You don't need anything extra.

Personally, I have a Vitamix, food processor and blender. If you are going to be on a pureed diet for any length of time, I'd buy a Vitamix if it's in your budget and forget the regular blender. I've never been able to get totally smooth things like hummus from the blender but the Vitamix does it perfectly. I have heard that the Ninja will do this too, but I do not have experience with it. For a while you're not going to be doing much chopping either, so maybe a mini chopper if you must, but I'd personally skip it.

I am always running out of 1/4 and 1/2 cup measures because they're in the dishwasher. I was thinking about getting another small set so I don't have to keep digging them out of the DW.

The other thing I didn't see was Protein shakes. I tried to find what I wanted before the surgery to no avail. Now, I'm finding that I'm getting so tired that I'm buying things that aren't necessarily the best choices. I need to do better.

I wouldn't stock up on a lot of Protein shakes or mixes - your taste may change after surgery and you may not like the one you purchase.

I have a smaller food processor and loved it during puree stage. I purchased a Magic Bullet and I LOVE it - I use it every day still. I wasn't convinced I needed it because I have a nice Kitchenaid blender - the clean up is a lot easier with the Magic Bullet, it's just more convenient for me.

I'd also suggest a Blender Bottle - I bought two. They were great for immediately after surgery because you don't need a blender - you're just mixing your liquid w/ shake mix in the beginning. They are also great to have in the car - if you get in a pinch and need a shake, it's at the ready.

I use an immersion blender for my Protein Shakes and wouldn't use anything else. It adds no air to the shake - using a regular blender can make your shake a mess of bubbly foam that you have to let sit for an hour in the fridge to make it drinkable.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CSB-75BC-2-Speed-Immersion-Blender/dp/B00ARQVM5O/

I tried a Blender Bottle with a whisk ball thing and I found it didn't mix particularly well and I had the same issue with the drinks being too foamy.

I used a mini food processor for puree stage, but really haven't used it much since then:

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DLC-2ABC-Mini-Prep-Processor-Brushed/dp/B0000645YM/

A Bubba Keg to keep your drinks cold or hot:

http://www.amazon.com/bubba-52-mug-classic-turquoise/dp/B00EECHRF6/

Make sure your kitchen scale is digital, that it weighs in both grams and ounces, and has a tare function.

I use a lot of little ramekins and tiny casseroles to heat up and serve food. You may not need this if you are cooking for a family, but they are helpful for singletons.

http://www.amazon.com/Fiesta-568-337-Ramekin-4-Inch-2-Inch

/dp/B00CP2NBHA/

http://www.amazon.com/Le-Creuset-Stoneware-Casserole-8-Ounce/dp/B00BH98D1G/

and I use these little cocktail forks:

http://www.amazon.com/Libbey-Just-Tasting-Appetizer-12-Piece/dp/B008HHRLCI/

btw, if you haven't ordered yet and want to check them out, these are my favorite measuring cups:

http://www.amazon.com/Chefn-SleekStor-Collapsible-Measuring-Colors/dp/B004HINF58/

and these are the best measuring spoons I have found:

http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-International-Stainless-Steel-Magnetic-Measuring/dp/B001GAQKKW/

(or a plastic version that I love almost as much):

http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-International-Magnetic-Measuring-Spoons/dp/B000V8F07E/

I use my ninja for mixing anything it's much cheaper than the vitamix. I also use ramekins for baking individual egg custards. I also have tons of Rubbermaid kitchen containers that are 1/2c. With lids for storing and packing my lunch daily.

Regarding using a blender for making Protein shakes and having them come out "frothy," I thought I would share something I read the other day in a WLS cookbook: "recipes for Weight Loss Surgery Success" by Chef Dave Fouts, and Vicki Bovee, RD.

http://www.amazon.com/Recipes-Weight-Surgery-Success-Step--ebook/dp/B0056H2PIM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393738538&sr=8-1&keywords=recipes+for+weight+loss+surgery+success

Chef Dave says, "Only blend your shakes until creamy. If you blend too long, your shakes will be frothy, foamy, and just plain awful. We have tested these recipes and blend times so they will come close to your home kitchen blender times. If you have a commercial-type blender such as a Vita-Mix or a Magic Bullet, your blend time will be less than the time recommended in the recipes. Remember, we are making shakes and smoothies, not frothies and foamies!"

Hope that helps someone, as you have all been very helpful to me! Thanks so much for your suggestions!!!

Very helpful topic, great suggestions, especially the ones with links!

I will get this warming plate, obviously later down the road as I hate when my food goes cold, and I tend to eat faster when I feel my food is getting cold (instead of standing up and reheting lol), and I will have to avoid eating fast! Baby food plate size is just enough!

"The Green Sprouts Warming Plate will keep baby's food heated without the use of electricity. Just add warm Water through spout to keep food warm during mealtime. As an added bonus, the Warming Plate has a non-slip suction on the bottom to keep it securely in place. Dishwasher safe."

http://www.babyearth.com/green-sprouts-warming-plate.html

I did also have 2 thermoses right at the start one with broth/soup the other with hot tea so I didn’t have to keep reheating or making new cups of tea when I was only sipping little bits the lid cup is really handy you just pour a little in and sip without wasting any if you want more you just pour some more out.

I did also have 2 thermoses right at the start one with broth/soup the other with hot tea so I didn’t have to keep reheating or making new cups of tea when I was only sipping little bits the lid cup is really handy you just pour a little in and sip without wasting any if you want more you just pour some more out.

Great idea, I love this! ♡