Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is soo bizarre!

OK - Went in for my first fill (after 2 years). The dr. didn't know how much I had in so he pulled all my liquid out. Then he had me drink an 8 oz glass of Water. I had to stop 1/2 thru it, but I got it down. I guess I had an air bubble. THEN he wants me to drink another 8 oz glass of water - WHO CAN DO THAT??? I drank some, but it got stuck on my chest and I thought I was going to throw up so I told him so. One of the rules I have is not to gulp water and that is what they want me to do during the test?

He doesn't understand what the problem is since my band is now empty. I mean that is a lot of liquid to ask me to drink, isn't it? Is this how other people get fills?

He doesn't understand what the problem is so I have an endoscopy planned plus a barium swallow to take pictures of my lap band.

Does this sound normal to anyone?

Thanks,

Terry

I'd say you're lucky he wants to do a fluoroscopy. You'll get a good look at where your band is and get an exact fill. Maybe because it had an air bubble in the tube or band, he wants to get it right.

But yes, drinking two glasses of Water could be difficult. Some of us could do it but when our stomachs have shrunk, that's a lot all at once.

I have to drink Water when I get a fill, it tells them how much Fluid to put in. If the water gets hard to go down it's too tight, if it flows too fast, you need more.

I have to drink Water when I get a fill, it tells them how much Fluid to put in. If the water gets hard to go down it's too tight, if it flows too fast, you need more.

Thank You. Do you have to drink that whole glass of water quickly?

My Dr. ask me to take a few small sips and see how that feels.

This last time I sat up with the needle still attached and sipped,

waited,

thought it might be too much so she took a little out,

sipped again,

Water went down fine so we both thought that was good enough for now.

Paws, I can answer the how quick to drink question. Yes is the answer. Even if your band is a little too tight, you can sip Water and it will pass through easily. Gulping it tells the doctor if the band is restricting the Water from flowing quickly. If you do the barium swallow you'll most likely have to gulp it down so they can track the flow through your band.

NO NO NEVER gulp! If I was to gulp it would have come back just as fast. I sit up and take slow drinks, when its starts not flowing smoothly, she backs off. With me I get a little less 'cause I have a tendancy to swell a little after a couple of days.

I've never been able to 'gulp' the barium down.....sip sip sip I can get almost 1/2 the gigantico cup they give me....but never 'gulp'....water either. Normal swallow is not impossible with my Band, but it takes time to get 'a whole glass' down.

I have to sip Water after every fill. Have had 4 and one small unfill. Never had to gulp. Have done the barium at one year check and sip that too.

I would say its a steady drinking more than sipping and not gulping. As if your taking pills.

When I have gotten my fills each and every one so far has been a barium swallow, and the doctor makes me take a large mouthful so when he fills my band he can see how fast or slow the contrast material is going through my band that way he can give me an exact fill. I have never had to "gulp" or swallow more then one mouthful at a time.

I have never had a fill with out barium so I don't know how they know how much to fill you. Do they go off of what "you" say? So if you say your not tight enough they will keep filling you till you say you are? Interesting....

Edited by Zeniada B

They go off what I say. But I never get more than .4 at a time cause I know that it takes a couple of days to take effect. That comes from experience of trial and error. I only go twice a year to get a fill.

It's normal for me still and I was banded in Dec 2012. Still going for monthly fills and I'm able to drink 16 oz of Water eAsily. I drink quite a bit, burp then drink again. My doctor is so conservative with his fills. I do believe I'm starting to feel restriction after my last fill. I tried having some seafood gumbo yesterday and felt full after a few spoonfuls.

I wish you well!