Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mushrooms and salads?

How soon did some of you start eating salads? Also how soon did y'all start eating mushrooms? I've been craving sautéed mushrooms and I want to make some for dinner. I wish I had a list of foods that are ok to eat. I know what to stay away from health wise, I'm scared to eat something that is going to hurt my sleeve. I'm glad I have all of you to answer my questions though =)

I was eating salad AND mushrooms, at about 5-6 weeks afterwards.

Found the raw onions a bit much for my sensitive sleeve (gave me acid reflux). Everything else was all good in the hood. Just made sure I chewed the heck out of it and didn't shovel it down, as I pre-sleeve had a want to do (primarily salad I'm on about).

Mushrooms and salad are two of my favourite things. I'd say try it, see how you feel and if it's cool -yay! If not, try again in a weeks time.

As a word of caution.. Be careful with the butter you cook the mushrooms in.. The butter could make the mushrooms too greasy. Early sleeves don't like a lot of fat. Same with salad dressings. Try to go without it.

:) Best of luck!

How soon did some of you start eating salads? Also how soon did y'all start eating mushrooms? I've been craving sautéed mushrooms and I want to make some for dinner. I wish I had a list of foods that are ok to eat. I know what to stay away from health wise, I'm scared to eat something that is going to hurt my sleeve. I'm glad I have all of you to answer my questions though =)

Nesa, let me tell you I love salad ....this week was the first time I tried salad .....it was wonderful ....I tried romaine lettuce... I put full fat dressing on it with cheese, bacon and raw red onion ...it was amazing ....Felipe loved it and it was so good.... I am eight weeks out and about two weeks ago after I got over the issue of dehydration and my stomach felt better I think my sleeve started healing and it opened up a little bit so I've had salad, and today I tried pork line just so that I can have a crunchy snack that didn't have carbs in it.....

Have no fear of salad.....how far along are you though? Im 8 weeks....

Shel...

I can’t remember when I started eating them but I love mushrooms and eat them all the time like 4 times a week or more lol

salad meh its not so friendly with me so I don’t eat it much

Why does the butter matter bin early sleeves? Im just wondering as I am 2.5 weeks out and had butter tonight. (Pureed foods with butter sauce) I am hurting but was wondering why. I am not the smartest of ppl and really dont wanna share my stupidity but... I had to ask

Nesa, let me tell you I love salad ....this week was the first time I tried salad .....it was wonderful ....I tried romaine lettuce... I put full fat dressing on it with cheese, bacon and raw red onion ...it was amazing ....Felipe loved it and it was so good.... I am eight weeks out and about two weeks ago after I got over the issue of dehydration and my stomach felt better I think my sleeve started healing and it opened up a little bit so I've had salad, and today I tried pork line just so that I can have a crunchy snack that didn't have carbs in it..... Have no fear of salad.....how far along are you though? Im 8 weeks.... Shel...

Shel, yay I'm going to try a salad this weekend when I'm not at work just to be safe. Pre op I used to make a pretty good darn salad so I hope my sleeve is ok with it. I've yet had something my sleeve doesn't like well chicken feels to heavy unless it's shredded (weird huh). You put bacon on your salad and Felipe was ok with it? love hearing that lol. I wanted a crunchy snack also I bought some veggie chips……I had two they were delicious and my crunchy craving felt satisfied with two wow. I'll be 8 weeks out Saturday so were the same. How are you with you doing Protein Drink intake?

I started trying to eat salad at 6 wks per drs program & didn't have any problems. I love sautéed zucchini & summer yellow squash with fresh mushrooms & my sleeve likes them too! But....always follow your plan. Good luck!

I was eating salad AND mushrooms, at about 5-6 weeks afterwards. Found the raw onions a bit much for my sensitive sleeve (gave me acid reflux). Everything else was all good in the hood. Just made sure I chewed the heck out of it and didn't shovel it down, as I pre-sleeve had a want to do (primarily salad I'm on about). Mushrooms and salad are two of my favourite things. I'd say try it, see how you feel and if it's cool -yay! If not, try again in a weeks time. As a word of caution.. Be careful with the butter you cook the mushrooms in.. The butter could make the mushrooms too greasy. Early sleeves don't like a lot of fat. Same with salad dressings. Try to go without it. :) Best of luck!

Thank you for the info =). So I made the mushrooms. I only had very little since I get full fast and they were delicious my sleeve loved them. I'm so happy that I found something else I could eat.

I started trying to eat salad at 6 wks per drs program & didn't have any problems. I love sautéed zucchini & summer yellow squash with fresh mushrooms & my sleeve likes them too! But....always follow your plan. Good luck!

That sounds so good I like yellow zucchini and squash. I've never had it with mushrooms though. I ended up making the mushrooms and my sleeve was ok with them so I'm very happy =)

Great, it helps when we can eat something we like And something our sleeve likes also. Good luck on your journey!

Why does the butter matter bin early sleeves? Im just wondering as I am 2.5 weeks out and had butter tonight. (pureed foods with butter sauce) I am hurting but was wondering why. I am not the smartest of ppl and really dont wanna share my stupidity but... I had to ask

Nothing silly about this question at all :)

Basically, its because your sleeve is soooo new and delicate.. Its still trying to calibrate - particularly so early out. The sleeve is still raw and wounded. As such, you have to not try to overload it with things which are going to make it work harder. If you're eating rich/fatty/acidic/spicy/sugary food, your stomach is going to have to receive more bile to process it. This could upset things.

Don't fear, this eases off in two months or so.. But you still have to be a little careful (well, I did). Its also a scientific fact that bariatric surgery changes an individuals' taste. This can make people feel repulsed by things that they formerly loved (fatty/acidic/rich/spicy/sugary food), I personally think this is because your body instinctively knows post surgery that these things are not good for your little sleeve.

When you're in the first 2 months, its a bit of trial and error. But, however, its pretty much a given that the blander the food, the easier you digest it... So if you don't want to upset things, try to keep it plain, light and simple for a while.

Its all good :)

I had sautéed mushrooms on my mushy phase(weeks three - week 8) but maybe around 5-6 weeks, also tried stuffed mushroom(cheese) and both were fine if I chewed well...salad I had to wait until 8 weeks when I was released to solids and it was my first meal!!!! Soooo yummy! I eat it frequently but very little as I fill up on my Protein first but when it's time, enjoy it!!! Having something fresh & crisp was the best feeling!

Edited by CrissyRing77

Nothing silly about this question at all :) Basically, its because your sleeve is soooo new and delicate.. Its still trying to calibrate - particularly so early out. The sleeve is still raw and wounded. As such, you have to not try to overload it with things which are going to make it work harder. If you're eating rich/fatty/acidic/spicy/sugary food, your stomach is going to have to receive more bile to process it. This could upset things. Don't fear, this eases off in two months or so.. But you still have to be a little careful (well, I did). Its also a scientific fact that bariatric surgery changes an individuals' taste. This can make people feel repulsed by things that they formerly loved (fatty/acidic/rich/spicy/sugary food), I personally think this is because your body instinctively knows post surgery that these things are not good for your little sleeve. When you're in the first 2 months, its a bit of trial and error. But, however, its pretty much a given that the blander the food, the easier you digest it... So if you don't want to upset things, try to keep it plain, light and simple for a while. Its all good :)

Very true the smell of fast food fries nauseates me when pre op I didn't have a problem.