Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

questions to ask the surgeon

I am getting ready to go to my last appointment with the surgeon and I'm trying to think of questions to ask, can anyone give me some ideas please. Thanks in advance :-)

I don't know why, but I asked mine how big my pouch would be. Otherwise, I was more than ready for the surgery.

Yeah, I think I'm ready as well but I just know that I'll think of 50 questions for him as soon as I walk out of his office. Lol

Here's a list of questions (with recent updates) that I posted quite some time ago. Since you're coming up on your last appointment you'll likely have answers to some of these already but hopefully you'll find others that will prove useful.

• What are the risks?
  • How often do patients have complications following surgery? What side effects are the most common?
  • What are the benefits?
  • What should I expect after surgery?
  • Realistically, what weight loss should I expect following surgery and over what period of time?
  • What are "stalls" or "plateaus"? How long do they last and if I do experience them, what can I do to shorten their duration?
  • Will any new technology be used e.g. robotics?
  • Is the hospital and surgeons office accredited by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP)? This is a combination of the programs formerly offered by two highly respected surgical societies - The American College of Surgeons (ACS) and the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS). Beginning in 2012, this accreditation replaced the former Bariatric Centers of Excellence.
  • Are you board certified in bariatric surgery?
  • How many roux-en-y gastric bypass surgeries have you performed?
  • Have you experienced any surgery related mortalities?
  • Do you have patients that are willing to share their weight loss surgery experiences, positive and negative?
  • What types of support groups and counseling will be available post-op?
  • What information can you give me to help family and friends better understand the surgery?
  • How often do you see your patients following surgery?
  • What is the significance of Protein following surgery?
  • Does your practice offer support services for psychological needs?
  • What assistance is available for helping me secure insurance approval? Who should I speak with regarding insurance related questions?
  • What pre-op testing will be done?
  • What post-op testing will be done?
  • Will I need Vitamins after my surgery and if so, what types?
  • When can I start exercising after my surgery?
  • How likely is it that I will regain weight after surgery?

Think of the meeting with your surgeon as an interview. You're looking for an answer to "Why are you and your team the most qualified for the job?"

You're gonna love the new you!!

Thank you both for the great questions, they really helped and I am more than ready! T minus 2 weeks and counting!