Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How soon after bypass did u start drinking alcohol? I know beer is out, but a friend is having a big birthday bash soon and I was wondering. I am only 7 weeks out. I will be about 9 by then. Im pretty confident finding what I can eat in social situations without feeling awkward but im not a big drinker as it is.... I just dont wanna feel/seem like a total party pooper.

What did your surgeon and team tell you? You should follow their advice...that's usually no alcohol?

Just my opinion, but I don't think you should be considering alcohol only 7 weeks out.

Take care x

Alcohol for me after surgery will be a big no-no. It has too much sugar and that's my trigger so I won't even consider it. If you not a big drinker find something else to drink, Water with a twist of lemon would probably be the best option.

One drink can make you drunk, the alcohol goes straight into your blood stream. Be very careful if you do decide to have drink.

I think 9 weeks out is too soon, i waited 6 months before i drank. i dont think people will think you are a party pooper for not drinking. you have to ask yourself how serious am i about losing weight. what if there is food there at party, are you going to eat so people won't think you are fun. remember, it's all about you now for awhile. i think you can still have fun at a party and not drink and eat.

i am not trying to be an A$$, i am 8months out and lost about 115#s, the road has been tough, but it can be done. Again, not trying to piss anyone off.

I think 9 weeks out is too soon, i waited 6 months before i drank. i dont think people will think you are a party pooper for not drinking. you have to ask yourself how serious am i about losing weight. what if there is food there at party, are you going to eat so people won't think you are fun. remember, it's all about you now for awhile. i think you can still have fun at a party and not drink and eat.

i am not trying to be an A$$, i am 8months out and lost about 115#s, the road has been tough, but it can be done. Again, not trying to piss anyone off.

Using logic and caution shouldn't piss anyone off. I think your response was spot on. When in doubt, ask your team!

Maybe I'm not the best person to answer, but I'm going on 7 weeks post op and had my 1st drink last night. I did fine, but I sipped the same drink for well over an hour. Keep in mind that we are all very different and it could affect you differently than someone else. It's certainly not going to be a regular thing for me, but I was at a celebration and took it very slowly to see how I would handle it. Good luck making your decision and know that it is quite possible to have fun without having a drink :)

My surgeon explained that any alcohol will pass through your pouch so quickly , like dumping due to the high sugar content! And thus causing you to become very drunk due to the rapid absorption.. It is a huge no no for his patients! Your only such a short time out... Major healing still occurring.. Can't imagine vomiting would be wise

i am not much of a drinker but when New years came around I wanted to Celebrate the new year and new me....I asked my nut what would i be able to drink and she suggested red wine....(she told be to be careful because I will feel drunk before everyone else, and she was not lying I only took a few sips)

I do know they have sugar free drinks with crystal light...but definitely ask your team before doing so....:)

post-189914-0-05559400-1390838054_thumb.jpg

I am a year and half post op and I still can't drink. One sip and it burns makes my pouch act all funky. Take just a tiny drink see what type of reaction your pouch is going to have. Most of the people i know that have had WLS have tried drinking at least 3 months post op. Don't make yourself sick surely your friends will understand. I went to lots of parties after my RnY it was summer time all of my friends were very supportive. They kept replacing my water/gatoraid as soon as they would see it get warm. I could only handle ice cold drinks.

I don't think anybody would recommend you to consume alcohol only under 10 weeks post op. Your stomach is still healing from inside. It is wise to talk to your doctor about this. He/she will give you the correct guidance.

I was told no alcohol for a year. The reason for this is your liver is working overtime to process all the toxins released from the fat you're burning, and most of that fat is lost in the first year. If you drink alcohol when your liver is already stressed it could cause liver failure.

The second reason for the alcohol restriction is the high risk of cross-addiction. We all suffer from some sort of food addiction. When you remove the substance a person was addicted to, they will be susceptible to other forms of addiction like alcohol, drugs, sex, or shopping. After a year we've learned new coping skills and it may be safe to have alcohol in moderation with less risk.