Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fullness guilt

Used to eat and eat and eat until I was miserable. I would sit on my couch in my misery and feel guilty about what I had just done to myself. I would say I wouldn't do it any more then a couple days or weeks later I would do it Ll over again. This was how I got to 320 pounds by age 31.

Well 30 days ago I had my sleeve done. Gone are the days of eating five sushi rolls. BUT, I still have the guilt. I just had 3 ounces of thinly sliced roast beef with one laughing cow cheese wedge spread on it. I am full. Not miserably of course, but full.

I still have the guilt!!! I feel like I shouldn't have eaten so much even though I know I'm well within plan. Does anyone else have fullness guilt still? My conscience thinks I just ate a whole bag if Doritos!!!! Thoughts?

I absolutely have this! I'm closely monitoring calories and other nutrition values, and at 6 weeks out, I'm still getting used to my sleeve. I'll track a calculated portion, and though rationally I can see that my weighed/measured meal was between 150 calories or so (the same value as the small snack of yesterday), the feeling of fullness wracks me with guilt. This is an interesting process to say the least. :)

I absolutely have this! I'm closely monitoring calories and other nutrition values, and at 6 weeks out, I'm still getting used to my sleeve. I'll track a calculated portion, and though rationally I can see that my weighed/measured meal was between 150 calories or so (the same value as the small snack of yesterday), the feeling of fullness wracks me with guilt. This is an interesting process to say the least. :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one! It's especially bad if it's a food I really like. It's funny how many parts of this process I never expected. Lol

I could have written the same post. Last night I felt extreme guilt for eating 1/3 c of ricotta. Wth??

I would seek out a therapist for a problem like this.

I would seek out a therapist for a problem like this.

Agreed. If you don't already, talk to a counselor who is experienced with food disorders. Not saying you have one, but getting another member on board with getting you heathy can only make things better. I would fear that if this feeling of guilt continues after you have lost a good portion of your goal, then this could quickly turn dangerous.

Of course we all are here and can be as supportive as we can be, but again, I think it is a great idea to go and seek out professional council. :)

Hope you take this as a friendly suggestion. :)

Dylan

Thank you. I am working with a therapist.

<p>I would seek out a therapist for a problem like this. </p>

I'm only 1 month out. My doctor says it's normal and that it should subside as I continue to lose. I'm pretty sure that the feeling of fullness has meant poor choices for many many years so this will be just another one of the many changes I will go through in this journey.

If it were to stop me from eating my recommended caloric intake then I will start being concerned. I am fully aware that it is head guilt, and like head hunger is something that I can overcome.

I think we all have this problem to some extent. Stuffing ourselves to a miserable point is something I dare say we are all familiar with. With that came the horrible guilty feelings from realizing what we just did. Unfortunately this is something we have to work past. With our sleeve it isn't hard to recreate those old stuffed feelings and we automatically want to beat ourselves up even though we did nothing wrong. Until you are totally healed this stuffed feeling happens a lot you will learn the signs that you are approaching full. Remember even if you ate until you were feeling overfull your stomach is swollen still and you aren't eating a lot! You just have to learn the signs such as a runny nose, sneezing or hiccups. Best wishes for you!! :)

Remember even if you ate until you were feeling overfull your stomach is swollen still and you aren't eating a lot! You just have to learn the signs such as a runny nose, sneezing or hiccups. Best wishes for you!! :)

Runny nose, sneezing or hiccups? Did I miss something? Never heard those to be signs of being full...

Remember even if you ate until you were feeling overfull your stomach is swollen still and you aren't eating a lot! You just have to learn the signs such as a runny nose, sneezing or hiccups. Best wishes for you!! :)

Runny nose, sneezing or hiccups? Did I miss something? Never heard those to be signs of being full...
After the surgery your vagus nerve is very sensitive from the surgery and reacts to your eating. When you get full a lot of us notice a runny nose, hiccups, sneezing that is a sign that you need to stop eating because you have reached the full point. If this isn't happening to you no worries some do and some don't.

After the surgery your vagus nerve is very sensitive from the surgery and reacts to your eating. When you get full a lot of us notice a runny nose, hiccups, sneezing that is a sign that you need to stop eating because you have reached the full point. If this isn't happening to you no worries some do and some don't.

I'm a hiccup-er!

I'm a hiccup-er!
Runny nose for me and an occasional sneeze. :)

Wow! Great to know! Ty!! :)

Kleenex stays close... My pouch lets me know with a runny nose! Even before I feel full... Measure that 1/2 cup out then be done!