Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gallbladder post op question...

I had my gallbladder out on Dec 6. I've noticed I seem to be a LOT more gassy than before. Is this a forever thing? Or is it just till my body adjusts to not having the gallbladder for bile storage? It's embarrassing... Lol

Hi!

I had that also when I had mine removed. For me, it took awhile for my body to adjust, but I'm fine now. As it was explained to me, the liver has to take over dealing with all the bile that the gallbladder had previously been doing.

So it's important to decrease your fat intake drastically (at least for now) to let your body really heal and adjust. Then you can add it back slowly, but still be fairly low fat from now on. You might ask your doctor if that is how he/she sees the situation.

Do you take Probiotics? That has also helped me.

Yes, it's very embarrassing to be so gassy! ugh.

Don't give up hope, though. If you can be really rigid about reducing your fat intake for several months (or even a year--I just don't want this to sound daunting!), you'll be doing your body a huge favor.

Hang in there!

~hiddn

I have no problem with staying away from higher fat foods, especially now. Since surgery lowfat is a way of life. BUT, an hour ago I had some buffalo chicken tenders (with most of the breading picked off) with a couple tbsp of blue cheese to cool it and moisten it. I hope the blue cheese doesn't cause an issue.

How long do you think this will this last approximately? I see my surgeon in Feb for my 9 month post op. If it's still bothering me in 2-3 weeks I'll check with the nurse. If it eases up some I'll just wait till Feb.

On the plus side this is the first time I've eaten chicken and not been sick. It's sitting kind of heavy (I'm aware of it sitting there) but no queasiness or foamies. Yay! Yet another Protein option has become available to me! :-)

I bought Probiotics that were supposed to be good quality on the advice of someone on this board quite some time ago. They were pretty big - I had one get stuck and was absolutely miserable. I'm afraid to try it again.

HI

I don't blame you for being very hesitant to try another probiotic having had a stuck episode!

You might try Pearls. They are very small and round. I used them when I had the Lap Band and had no trouble.

Get the triple strength if you can.

I also used the RAW probiotics capsules from Garden of Life, but had to dump the contents in a cold shot of Water to take it (I couldn't take anything big like a capsule at the time).

I'll be interested in what other members have to say in reply to your post. I didn't realize you also get queazy; I was just responding to the gas issue.

I hope things settle down for you, soon! If it were me, I would probably consult my doctor now since it's been 9 months. At the very least, you'd get the peace of mind of having spoken to them (even if they just say it sometimes takes a while to adjust).

~hiddn

...On the plus side this is the first time I've eaten chicken and not been sick. It's sitting kind of heavy (I'm aware of it sitting there) but no queasiness or foamies. Yay! Yet another Protein option has become available to me! :-)

I spoke too soon about adding chicken back into my diet. I didn't throw it up but I gurgled for four hours before it eased up. :-p

Maybe I can add the contents of my probiotic capsules to applesauce? Anyone have thoughts? Will it affect the effectiveness of it? I read the vegetable based capsule is designed to get it to your intestines before dissolving...

I bought probiotics that were supposed to be good quality on the advice of someone on this board quite some time ago. They were pretty big - I had one get stuck and was absolutely miserable. I'm afraid to try it again.

And I'm not complaining about the product itself. It was good advice from the person who recommended it. I researched it and it was supposed to be one of the best. I just need to get it where it needs to go and the capsule isn't going to do it for me.

My doctor is aware of the problem I have with chicken. It's not an uncommon problem. Chicken is dense and relatively dry. I get my poultry from ground chicken and turkey. It's the only way I can eat it. My nut says to give it a try every few weeks or so. Eventually it may be fine. Or not. Who knows? :-)

I had my gallbladder out on Dec 6. I've noticed I seem to be a LOT more gassy than before. Is this a forever thing? Or is it just till my body adjusts to not having the gallbladder for bile storage? It's embarrassing... Lol

Check what you're eating. Your might be milk intolerant. My son dares not to pass gas around me anymore because mine are a lot more toxic. Lol

Check what you're eating. Your might be milk intolerant. My son dares not to pass gas around me anymore because mine are a lot more toxic. Lol

Thanks for the tip but I'm sure that's not it. I HATE milk and have never in my life been a milk drinker. :-p. :-)

The only thing different is the gallbladder removal. I haven't changed my diet in months. Still high Protein, low fat, low carb, low sugar. I stick to my 'safe' foods. I haven't introduced any new foods for a while.

I think the gas problem following removal of the gall bladder is very common. I had mine out so many years ago that I don't recall how long it takes but it does resolve itself. I was so glad to be free from the pain that the gas was a welcome trade-off! Lol!

i had my gall bladder out december 7th. honestly the gas was worse before having my gall bladder out but im still having episodes of abdominal pain...not sure whats causing that

Edited by ajustice